It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Oh my god...Someone please tell me what just happened!!! URGENT

Everynight I have palpitations, for a long time, and just today I noticed while sitting in front of the comp that it was beating really hard, like something is in my chest trying to break out, pretty much pounding heavily...then guess what happened! I felt my pulse and left it there for a while and then all of the sudden my heart just stopped beating for about 2 or 3 seconds then it went into double beats twice...!!!

It went like this:

boom boom boom boom boom.............BOOM BOOM....BOOM BOOM...boom boom boom boom boom...

I almost started crying and rushed into my parents room but they were sleeping and I diddnt want to tell them just in case I...you know...

Now when I feel the pulse in my neck it feels so weird, like my blood is thick and like it takes a while to get through, its very slow or something...

Background:

just turned 18, underweight and very very unfit andinactive...i sleep and sit at school and sit at work...been like this for a looong time Im terrified to go to bed now, please someone respond!!
------------------------
Im adding something else, it went fine for a while and then while I was feeling my pulse at my neck it seemed that if the big vein there was vibrating a few times like it was beating 6 times in a sec or so...maybe im just imganing it but it felt so real and is that even possible???

Last edited by DarkChange; 11-09-2005 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Oh my god...Some please tell me what just happened!!! URGENT

These just sound like normal palpitations to me. Hearts do things like you're describing (skip beats and add extra beats) all the time and it's not dangerous. Palpitations are common and won't kill you and what happened to you doesn't sound like anything life threatening. If you are very worried, see your doctor and tell them what happened and they will most likely have you wear a Holter monitor which will record the unusual beats so the doctor can make sure they're nothing serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
(male)

DarkChange HB User

ok but just a second there, arent palpitations supposed to be in an even rhythm? My normal palpitations always beat really hard and usually every second or sometimes a bit faster but this was so different, my heart actually stopped for a few secs then there were two heart beats following, then a stop again and two other heart beats after that and then it stopped a little and it went normal again in an even rhytm, is that concidered palpitations too or what? im sorry im just really shocked.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, palpitations are frequently not in an even rhythm. PVCs and PACs occur when your heart skips a beat or adds an extra beat or two. Your heart may then stop itself for a second to reset itself back into its normal rhythm.

Events like the ones you're describing have happened to me a million times, and I used to be obsessed with them because they felt so scary. I was sure I was going to die. But now I've had them for over 10 years and have been reassured by many doctors that they're normal and not dangerous, so I'm used to them.

Seriously, see your doctor about it if it will help you feel safe to know for sure that your heart is ok.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

If the episode of irregular heart beats had lasted for a long time (minutes, hours) I'd think you might have some other kind of arrhythmia (and even then, something basically benign since you are so young) but it's normal for your heart to screw up for a few beats and then straighten itself out and go on as usual. I really, really think you're ok.

Don't use any caffeine, avoid sugary foods, and drink lots of water, and this should help reduce your palps a LOT.

Last edited by Timber; 11-09-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Timber,

thank you so much, i feel like such a moron because I THOUGHT I actually knew what palpitations are...it was so terrifying though...as if you just cought your heart screwing up completely and that its about to just fail and stop or something.

Im still sort of worried about the weird vibrating sensations I felt when I felt the artery (or vein?) on my neck, it really felt like my heart was just going out of control and just blasting blood up my head for a sec, it makes me think of fibrillation why I really hope that wasnt...but...whatever...

Anyways, I have a question that i wanted to ask...what could actually happen to someone who is really really inactive for a very very long time 6+ years maybe? even if they are young?

Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChange
Anyways, I have a question that i wanted to ask...what could actually happen to someone who is really really inactive for a very very long time 6+ years maybe? even if they are young?
Well, most Americans are very, very inactive from a young age and not exercising puts you at higher risk for obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc. later in life. However, you are only 18 years old and no irreversible damage should be done. You are not nearing the point when these problems should affect you. You have PLENTY of time to start becoming active and get in shape to avoid these problems. I think if you start becoming more active now, by the time you're in your 30s or 40s, it won't matter that you were inactive as a teenager.

Your story sounds like it might be a little like mine. I started having palpitations (skipped and extra beats) when I was 12. They scared me so much that I got really, really phobic about doing anything that would increase my heart rate because I thought it would kill me. So for about 8 years, I didn't do any exercise at all (even avoided climbing stairs). But when I was around 20 I largely got over my fears and started exercising and now I'm fine! So I believe you have plenty of time to get in shape before any damage is done.

Last edited by Timber; 11-09-2005 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Clarity.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi dark
I have had the same symptoms sometimes lasting all night and I could not sleep.I had a holter monitor test done and never recieved the results so im sure its fine.Anyway,I have anxiety disorder.........and since having the palpitations my doctor prescribed me Lexapro (anti anxiety med) and no more palps it took a month or so to stop them but it did .My point is yours is prob somthing simple like that as well anxiety/stress can cause palps.Also they may seem worse to you because as you said you are inactive and your focusing on your heart too often.As timber said though they will not hurt you and I think you start being active now too.Go to your doctor and get it checked out that should give you some peace of mind

Old 11-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #9
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Aww...thanks so much for the help guys, im glad it worked out by you too. AND anxiety...wont even go into that...

One last thing though...I think I left something out...what if you get the double beats and stopped heart beats when you are exercising or if you are breathing very hard?

Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
hi dark
my doctor prescribed me Lexapro (anti anxiety med) and no more palps it took a month or so to stop them but it did .
I took Celexa (older version of Lexapro) for 5 years and it helped my palps a LOT. I used to have palpitations for HOURS every single night and the Celexa helped reduce them to monthly events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChange
what if you get the double beats and stopped heart beats when you are exercising or if you are breathing very hard?
Once you realize that the skipped and extra beats aren't dangerous, when you feel them you go, "huh, that was uncomfortable," and then move on. I occasionally get palps when I'm exercising and I notice them definitely, but I don't freak out. I just keep going.

Exercise can actually help to reduce the number of palpitations that you have.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #11
(female)

Brooke111 HB User

You sound like me, only I'm overweight, I guess it can happen to anyone. I would go see a doctor anyways, just to make sure you are okay. They will run some tests to make sure you don't have anything more serious. It will put your mind at ease.

In the meantime try to cut out caffeen,sugar and start eating healthy. That is what the Cardo doc told me last week you might find you won't get the palps and and weird heart feelings as much.

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
(male)

eNathan HB User
Talking Re: Oh my god...Some please tell me what just happened!!! URGENT

Here I shall write a couple of coments and questions.

For the last couple of years I have had palpitations (SVT?). My heartbeat would double (maybe even triple from what it felt like!) and I would totally freak out. As many other people here, I experienced sensations of death. I could not even sleep at night. When you count your own life as something which you want to keep, and you feel your heart could go at any second...its a little scary.

After doing alot of research, much of which on HealthBoards.com, I have realized that palpitations is an extreamly common and safe occurance. Every other day a new thread is started on a persons fear of palpitations. In fact, I decided to head over to health boards tooday thinking "I bet another palpitations thread has been started". Take our word for it, DarkChange, palpitations is perfectly Okey. If it was life threatening...alot of people would be dead. The reason why people get scared of it is because you can literally "feel" your heard racing.

It can be hard to overcome a fear of palpitations, but hopefully our reassurance is convincing enough to assist you in overcoming your fear of palpitations. Lets see... I used to drink a cup of coffee every morning, during which time I would get palpitations every other week (e.g my heart would race for anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour). I stopped drinking coffee, during which time I started occasonally smoking cigarettes and marijuana. Since I have done this, my palpitations are almost non-existant. Caffine definitely causes palpitations. My last episode was a few months ago, and lasted for only a few seconds. I still drink coffee on occasions, but I highly recomend that you do not drink coffee! Other harcore drugs (coke, meth, heroin, X) can also trigger palpitations. Although I do not believe that marijuana causes palpitations, it can cause anxiety (if you let it), which in turn causes palpitations. I read that nicotine causes palpitations in some people...it causes alot of bad things.

In any event, a person's heartbeat is not always one perfect rythem for their entire life. Palpitations are a common thing, and is not danderous.

And exersize is always good!

Oh, and I have one question. My occurrences of an extreamly rapid heartbeat, lasting up to 45 minutes, is catagorized as palpitations right? Hope so... I dont want to be using improper terms now.

"Imagination is more greater than knowledge." -- Albert Einstine

Old 11-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNathan
My occurrences of an extreamly rapid heartbeat, lasting up to 45 minutes, is catagorized as palpitations right?
There are various definitions of palpitations, but most people seem to be referring to PVCs and PACs when they say palpitation. That is, the sensations of skipped or extra heartbeats are palpitations.

A racing heartbeat for 45 minutes would be called tachycardia, of one form or the other. Have you had an EKG during these episodes, and if so, do you know what type of tachycardia you have? It sounds like it could be SVT. Does it start and stop suddenly or gradually? Starting and stopping in a single heartbeat generally indicates SVT where as a gradual increasing and decreasing indicates sinus tachycardia.

I thought your advice to DarkChange was very good and I agree with all of it.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
(female)

Brooke111 HB User

The problem I see is this. Palpatations, PVC's, PAC's are NOT serious, HOWEVER, you have to see a doctor to rule out any heart problems. In my opinion you can't just assume that your fine you need to see a cardo doc to make sure that all is well.

Anyone at any age can have heart problems, but you can't assume that the PVC"s you have every single day are normal, they most likely are but you need to see a doctor to make sure they are. No one should write off any heart discomfort or diagonse someones elses PVC's or Palpations or chest pain etc... Everyone is different, and when you come on here you are here to seek advice not an answer for your problems, but a possible solution, it is up to the person to seek a perofessional and have tests done to rule out anything more seriouse.

I agree everyone gets palpations once in awhile, and PVC's can be completely normal. However, in my non medical opinion if these are an every day occurance I would personally seek an expert opinion to rule out any other cause. If not for your peace of mind but for your peace of heart and health. Be well everyone and be safe.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
(male)

eNathan HB User
Talking Re: Oh my god...Some please tell me what just happened!!! URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
There are various definitions of palpitations, but most people seem to be referring to PVCs and PACs when they say palpitation. That is, the sensations of skipped or extra heartbeats are palpitations.

A racing heartbeat for 45 minutes would be called tachycardia, of one form or the other. Have you had an EKG during these episodes, and if so, do you know what type of tachycardia you have? It sounds like it could be SVT. Does it start and stop suddenly or gradually? Starting and stopping in a single heartbeat generally indicates SVT where as a gradual increasing and decreasing indicates sinus tachycardia.

I thought your advice to DarkChange was very good and I agree with all of it.
I have not had an EKG, and even if I wanted too, my episodes are so rare now (since I stopped drinking coffee ) that it would render usless. I do not know what kind of tachycardia I have (oficallly, that is...), as I am not able to see a doc (no health insurance). I have researched SVT alot, and I have diagnosed myself with it with 95% assurity. The rapid heartbeat starts at stops within a single heartbeat by the way. The espsodes have lasted up to 45 minutes and I have never felt light-headed or anything; this is why I have concluded that I have SVT and not VT (although someone told me SVT can lead to short bursts of VT?). I am young dumb and full of c*m, and I dont have any heart conditions (sometimes I get strange heart pains when I eat certian foods but nm), so im probally A-Okay. Hey...maybe SVT works out for good. It's probally prevented me from considerning the temptation to try some hardcore drugs which I am oh so curious about.

By the way, I heard that a magnesium / potassium deficiency can play a factor in the induction of SVT episodes. Is this true? Can this be the cause of many people's SVT (which would explain why its so common)? Or perhaps the deficency induces tachycardia only in those who already have a tachycardia condition due to other circumstances (eg they were born with it)?

Somebody should really start a sticky thread where people can share their experiences with tachycardia and palpitations. It is so common, and alot of threads are started on it (asking about the same thing)

and yea

"Imagination is more greater than knowledge." -- Albert Einstine

Closed Thread