It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

scared girl HB User
Unhappy heart fluttering scares me

Hi, I donít know where to begin so let me tell about myself. Iím a 34 year old female good health (need to lose a few pounds) I also get panic or anxiety attacks every now and then mostly right before my period I think itís PMS. My problem started about 6 months ago. I had just finished mowing the lawn and we were sitting down to eat dinner and I felt my heart flutter. I didnít really think anything of it but it kept doing it over and over and then I felt really sleepy and kept yawning. This went on for about an hour so I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. They did all kinds of tests and everything was fine. While I was being checked out I didnít get the fluttering feeling. A few days later I go to the cardiologist and I wear the halter monitor, take a stress test and an echo of my heart. Everything is fine but again during all of the testing I never had the fluttering feeling. Recently, I have these fluttering sensations all the time. I have started checking my pulse and when I feel the fluttering in my chest itís like my heart skips a beat ( I donít feel a pulse in my neck). Sometimes I feel dizzy and start yawning and get sleepy. IT scares me to death. But then Iíve noticed that a few minutes later I burp. I tend to hold my breath and my stomach in a lot. I donít know why. My husband says Iím a hypochondriac and to just toughen up. I see the commercials on TV that heart disease is the #1 killer of women and it scares me. I donít know why my body is doing this now it just seems weird that it would start all of a sudden. Should I be concerned or just toughen up.

Thanks,

Scared girl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: heart fluttering scares me

Perhaps you should wear a Holter monitor again to see if you can catch the flutters this time. You could request a 30 day event monitor.

Do a search on this board for PVCs (which is the name for the fluttering/skipping feeling you are having) or palpitations and you will find a TON of other posts about the same thing you're feeling. It's very common and it's not going to kill you. If you had heart disease, the echo would have shown a diseased heart. And yes, PMS can cause PVCs.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
(male)

eNathan HB User

Fluttering of the heart, skiped heart beats, ect, are all very common and are not lethel. However (and I get these too), while you are in SVT (which is probally what you have), it feels like you are going to die. It's nothing to worry about, however, if it pirsists for long periods of time you are going to want to go the the ER so they can stop it. You can stop it on your own by trying certian methods, some of which include lying on your back and wetting your face with ice cold water.

By the way, scared girl, share your story! http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=340227 lol

Timber, I have another question for you. If a person does not die from heart fluttering (soft heartbeats which may be up to 200 bpm?), why do they have to goto the ER (according to another one of your posts)? Is this just to stop the fluttering if it doesnt go away after a while?

"Imagination is more greater than knowledge." -- Albert Einstine

Last edited by eNathan; 11-11-2005 at 08:29 PM. Reason: ***, [URL] tags dont work

Old 11-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNathan
However (and I get these too), while you are in SVT (which is probally what you have), it feels like you are going to die.
Just out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on SVT? The last 3 or 4 posts from you mention SVT in them as well. Don't be so quick to throw it into people's heads that this is 'probably' what they're suffering from. The only sure way to diagnose SVT is through an EKG.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
(male)

eNathan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassafrass627
Just out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on SVT? The last 3 or 4 posts from you mention SVT in them as well. Don't be so quick to throw it into people's heads that this is 'probably' what they're suffering from. The only sure way to diagnose SVT is through an EKG.
That is why I posed a new thread, titled "How to distinguish between SVT, PAC, and PVC" because it seems that they all can cause heart fluttering. And yes, I am hung over SVT

"Imagination is more greater than knowledge." -- Albert Einstine

Last edited by eNathan; 11-12-2005 at 10:01 PM. Reason: erm..

Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

scared girl HB User
Wink Re: heart fluttering scares me

Well, I'm going back to the cardiologist because I want to know what's going on. But, as usual the fluttering has stopped. I haven't felt it in a couple of days. I'm wondering if it's because I started taking a vitamin that has Magnesium, Zinc and something else. Maybe it's just coincidence. Also, when my heart was fluttering it never raced it just felt like it skipped a beat and then continued on like nothing happened. I think the older I get the weirder my body gets. Growing old is WONDERFUL!!!!

Closed Thread