It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

dragonsbeauty HB User
hypertension, heart palpatations and pregnant.

I posted a lot of concerns on the pregnancy boards. I need some help and advice from all of you out there who know about hypertension. I believed to have had this before I was pregnant, but was never diagnosed. I think that perhaps it was pre hypertension because my levels were not that high. Well the first time I was diagnosed with this, I went to my primary, and my bp was 150/100, then 140/90 and so on. It was high, and I was about 2 months pregnant. Well, she also noticed that my pulse was about 160bpm. I dont know what was going on with me. But I know it was surely different than before. Well, she had me go to the er because she couldnt figure out what was going on. They did blood tests, ekg and scans on my lungs, everything came back fine. They also conducted that when I was at rest my bp was perfect. When I stood up it rose. Well, my primary perscribed me methyldopa. So I am taking that 2 times a day. She also had an appointment made for me to see a cardiologist. Well, After a few weeks on this drug I started feeling better and my heart slowed down considerably. And of course I was stupid and didnt go to my appointment with the cardiologist. Well, this past week, I ended up getting sick. And my heart rate has gone up to about 100bpm at rest and 108 or more when active. And by when I say active, this is just going from my bed to the bathroom.. and I can feel my heart pounding through my chest and it scares me. Well over the past week, I have been sick with bronchitis, and my heart has been acting very funny, kinda like pops in my chest.. and when I move around I can feel my heart through my chest. My pulse is high, and my bp rose a little to about 130/74. I dont know what to do. Do you think that this is possibly pregnancy related, and that perhaps I should go see a cardiologist? Do you think that it could be a more underlying cause called primary pulimanary hypertension? I am scared, and I feel like at times I get the run around. I worry too much as well, and I am so scared of death for myself as well as my unborn child. With hypertension I can get pre eclampsia or eclampsia. Does primary pulimanary hypertension happen suddenly? Or is it something that would have been found on the lung scan and ekg about 2 months ago? Any help would be great..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: hypertension, heart palpatations and pregnant.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. But congratulations on your pregnancy

I know that when you are pregnant your blood volume increases as does your blood pressure and heart rate. However, I'm not sure what is too high. To be on the safe side I would definately see a cardiologist. And if something comes back abnormal, make sure both your cardio & ob/gyn communicate with each other about your health issues. My ob/gyn already told me that when I plan on getting pregnant I need to meet with the high risk doctor and he also needs to speak with my cardiologist.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

KellyDL HB User
Re: hypertension, heart palpatations and pregnant.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling bad! It's probably nothing, but just to be safe, I would go see the cardiologist. I have three children, the youngest is 7 months. I don't know if you've ever heard of it or not, but there is a condition known as peripartum cardiomopathy, which is caused from pregnancy. Just to be safe, see a cardiologist. I personally was diagnosed with this condition after my last child and am doing fine. It's very rare, but can be serious (although not as bad as the info on the internet would say). Just be safe and go.

Closed Thread