It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Holter monitor results...No idea what they mean

Hello! I just got my results today but don't see my dr until the 29th (he's on vacation). The receptionist said I could see one of the interns but the interns recommended I talk to my dr specifically (since he already knows my history and I won't have to start at square one with him). I requested a copy of the report to see if I could find anything online and if anyone here could help me interpret some of the mumbo jumbo .

Here's what it says:

Max heart rate: 148 bpm (during activity)
Min heart rate: 42 bpm
AVG heart rate: 72
Total Beats: 85,226

Ventricular Ectopy

Total VE: 7
Single VE: 7
couplets: 0
VE run: 0
VE Tach: 0
Bigeminy: 0
Trigeminy: 1 Longest Run: 7 beats
Quadrigeminy: 0

Suptraventricular Ectopy

Total SVE: 2111
Single SVE: 708
SV Couplets: 280
SVE Run: 238 Max Run: 6 beats
SVE Tach: 50 Longest Run: 5 beats
Max Rate: 117 bpm
SV Bigeminy: 23 Longest Run: 5 beats
SV Trigeminy: 12 Longest Run: 7 beats
SV Quad: 16 Longest Run: 13 beats

ST segment analysis

channel 1: 1 episode max depression: -1.0mm
channel 2: 20 episodes max elevation: 1.5mm
channel 3: 1 episode max depression: -1.0mm

Heart Rate variability

24 hour SDNN: 213 ms PNN50: 40%
Night SDNN: 169 ms Night HR: 61bpm
Day SDNN: 200ms

Then it has two pages of general summary, Ventricular Ectopy summary and Supraventricular ectopy summary which lists the hourly heart rates and episodes.

If anyone can make heads or tails of this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm assuming it's nothing serious. Ironically the day I had the monitor I didn't have as many episodes as I normally do (then again this doesn't surprise me...it always seems to work out that way with labwork etc... ).

Thank you so much for anything you can help me with!!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Holter monitor results...No idea what they mean

I wanted to add one more thing. After looking over the summaries, I noticed that I had SVE at least twice during every waking hour during the recording (anywhere from 2-224 total SVE per hour). My average SVE percentage was 2.48%. The highest was 6.61% in an hour.

I have no idea if any of this is significant. I'm thinking not since there are no comment or interpretation notes at the bottom.

After reading around the internet a bit I discovered what SVE and VE actually mean . I still have no idea what the ST segment analysis is and I'm not sure what my results indicate...if anything.

Does this mean that basically I have PACs?

Kelly

Old 11-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yep,

Pretty much what it shows is Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC's.)

You'll need a cardiologist to get into specifics of the testing.

HAve you tried magnesium supplementation...it often works WONDERS?

Old 11-19-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Thanks Lenin for the suggestion. I'll get some today and see if it helps. I used to take a cal/mag supplement but ran out two months ago. I've been paying for it with the leg cramps I've had lately. Now I have another good reason to get them .

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 11-20-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Important: try and get a magnesiumsupplement WITHOUT calcium. Calcium and magnesium have to be in balance. The fact that you have cramps means that you need more magnesium, but not more calcium.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
(female)

Kathy C HB User

Leg cramps can alos mean a lack of Calcuim. I have them alot as does my family. My GP say it is common to get them if you have been on Calcium and then stop you can get leg cramps or heavy legs.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I always take calcium (when I take it) and magnesium (which I take daily) separately.

Many formulations of Calcium-Magnesium use the cheapest form, dolemite, which is a calcium-magnesium salt that DOES NOT DISSOLVE...after all its what the Dolomite Alps in Italy are made of and they haven't dissolved yet.

Take your magnesium in the morning to stabilize your heart rhythm and your calcium at niight for leg cramps.

MgO is the cheapest and works just fine.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Another question ...

I've been reading about ST segment elevations; does anyone know anything about them or has also had them?

I read that they can be a sign of cardiac ischemia but they can also appear as a normal variant in healthy young people.

I'm 29, my blood pressure is good, I get regular exercise and eat relatively well. My family has a history of early heart disease. My twin brother has high cholesterol and high blood pressure. My maternal grandfather has had several heart attacks (his first was at age 35; his siblings also have heart disease) and my mom had angina in her mid-thirties and a heart attack several months ago at the age of 45.

A year and a half ago my triglycerides were slightly elevated. That may be due to my hypothyroidism though.

I have also gotten several labs back with the phrase: "lipemic blood". Not sure if that means anything or not.

My echocardiogram and EKG a year ago were good as was my EKG a few weeks ago.

I'd like to be informed as possible for my appt on the 29th so that I can ask the right questions. I'm not sure if my dr will refer me to a cardiologist or not so I may not get any answers from that direction.

I don't personally feel that my arrhythmias indicate anything serious and suspect it has more to do with my autoimmune hypothyroidism/hormonal imbalance than anything else.

I'd appreciate any input though.

Kelly

Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Anyone at all know anything about ST segment elevations??

Kelly

Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Only that they are bad.
ST segment elevations occur during angina and heart attacks. But the specifics of how high, or in what ECG leads, means what is WAY over my head...

Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I went to my appt today to go over my Holter monitor results. He said that everything looked fine and that I only had a few here and there incidences. He only mentioned the trigeminies and didn't put any emphasis whatsoever on anything else. Why would he be concerned about the trigeminies (doesn't that just mean an ectopic every third beat?).

He said that if *I* wanted to see a cardiologist he'd refer me but he didn't think there was anything to be concerned about. He said the cardio would probably do an event monitor (for a week or a month).

Any opinions here? I don't particularly trust my "dr"...he's actually a PA and doesn't seem to know much (I had an abnormality on my brain MRI a while back and asked him to show me...he pointed to my pituitary ...of course I saw a neurologist later who showed me the correct spot). I stick with him because he'll give me just about any referral I want and order any test that I ask for.

Thanks for any help.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

I would definitely see another physician if this guy can't correctly point out anatomy on your MRI. Whoa...

Anyway, I'm no cardiologist but the ST segment is (among many other things, including blood work) what physicians look at to determine injury and/or death of the heart muscle. 2mm or more ST elevation, usually in 2 or more continguous (adjoining) ECG leads, is a good indication of a (currently occuring) heart attack. ST depression is damage/death caused by a previous heart attack, whether it's by years, days, or hours. While it's *rare* for an otherwise healthy 29 year old to have an MI (heart attack), it's definitely not impossible. Also, your family history of early cardiac disease is concerning. Personally, I believe your ECG results warrant furthur evaluation by a cardiologist and not a PA. I have the utmost respect for PAs as they also go through years of schooling and are quite educated, but I just don't believe it's wise to *dismiss* anyone showing these kinds of ECG results. I do hope you'll request a referral. BTW, I'm not trying to scare you to death! Just giving you my 'professional' opinion!

Anyway, good luck and please keep us posted!

Old 12-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Sassafrass, thank you so much for the reply...no worries here...just wanting to be informed .

I went ahead and requested the referral. It won't hurt to go to the cardio but there's always that chance that it might hurt *not* to go.

BTW, have you heard of Prinzmetal's angina? Do you know anything about it? I came across it while looking up ST segment elevations. I found it interesting because my chest pressure/pulling happens when I'm resting and not during activity. Just a thought...

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 12-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #14
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Prinzmetal's angina is chest pain caused by a spasm of the coronary artery. The chest pain may occur at rest or wake you from sleep and may be accompanied by difficulty breathing and/or palpitations. Also, like you said, it is characterized by ST segment elevation on the ECG. I think you've made a wise decision by requesting a referral! Better safe than sorry! Keep us informed!

Closed Thread