It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

whatitisyo HB User
Mitral Valve Prolapse syndrome

Hi, does anyone else here suffer from this disease? I think I do, but how do you go about getting diagnosed. I have mitral valve prolapse, and chronic orthostatic intolerance(similar to POTS) but no MVP syndrome. THe cardiologist has checked me for it, but I just recently read up on it. I have every symptom. any info would be good. and how did you go about getting diagnosed?
I'm tired of being tired, light headed, and dizzy

Old 11-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

livfortoday HB User
Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse syndrome

I am not an expert but I was told many years ago i had mvp, that was with old technology but now with better equipment they can really tell if you have it. FIrst a good cardo doc can hear it, second the electro cardiagram (the ultra sound) will show it. My husband has it really bad is is going for open heart surgey in a week. A TEE test (which is a tube inserted in your mouth and goes down gives a very good picture of it) you are put under for this. Anxiety could cause some of these feelings but I have found that doing a bunch of complaining to the cardo doc especially if you are young, because for some reason I don't think they take us young people as seriously. This will help because he or she will follow up with procedures Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatitisyo
Hi, does anyone else here suffer from this disease? I think I do, but how do you go about getting diagnosed. I have mitral valve prolapse, and chronic orthostatic intolerance(similar to POTS) but no MVP syndrome. THe cardiologist has checked me for it, but I just recently read up on it. I have every symptom. any info would be good. and how did you go about getting diagnosed?
I'm tired of being tired, light headed, and dizzy

The underlying anatomical condition that cause the MVP will be the issue to determine the future outlook and if it serious enough to aggressively treat.

There could be a problem with the muscle support apparatus attached to the leaflets. The chordae (hinge if you will) could be elongated. If true, it could cause the leaflets to improperly collapse backward into the receiving chamber (atrium) during the pumping (systole) phase.

Most people don't have any symptoms unless severe, if it is severe one will have the same symptoms as severe MV regurgitation. It would lead to an enlarged LA/LV and congested heart failure as cardiac output would be unable to meet the system's demand for oxygen as a large portion of blood flows back into the atrium and not put into circulation.

Diagnoses is by ausculation (stethoscope) and/or an echo test. The doppler as part of the echo will show color images of the direction of blood flow as well as chamber sizes and heart's pumping ability.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Whatitisyo,
It is my undertanding & belief that most doctors, including cardiologists, do don't believe there is a "syndrome" associated with Mitral Valve Prolapse. Those of us who have MVP, as well as many (if not all) ot the symptms of MVP syndrome/disautonomia will disagree. I was diagnosed with MVP at 28 (I'm now 50), when the doctor heard the typical click of the valve. HAve also had the echo to verify the MVP. Have worn a Holter monitor, routine ekgs, echos, etc. Diagnosing MVP is simple. Diagnosing MVP syndrome isn't.
THere are other threads on this throughout here, so you might try reading those.
Finding the right doctor to believe you about the syndrome part of it is going to take some searching. I haven't found one yet, but have learned to deal with the symptoms and alleviate some of them myself. Most of the drugs used to treat the symptoms have worse side effects than the syndrom itself.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

"Diagnosing MVP is simple. Diagnosing MVP syndrome isn't."

Huh! What am I missing? Isn't a syndrome a collection of symptoms that characterize the disorder to be diagnosed? If true, syndrome is associated with the disorder to make a dx and not a disorder itself.

If MVP is severe, there will be symptoms!! How can there not be?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Not necessarily. Some people with light MVP have more symptoms of MVP syndrome than people who have severe MVP. MVP simply is a certain valve issue. MVP syndrome is much more complicated.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsofglass
Not necessarily. Some people with light MVP have more symptoms of MVP syndrome than people who have severe MVP. MVP simply is a certain valve issue. MVP syndrome is much more complicated.
You mean have more symptoms included with an unproven cluster of symptoms that is referred to as MVP syndrome. The same syndrome is also associated with a panic attack and/or anxiety disorder. As I read this thread everyone agrees there may or may not be symptoms associated with MVP, however I have differentiated with severe MVP and state there will almost always be symptoms.

To illustrate if cardiac output supply doesn't meet the system's demand for oxygen there will be consequences. It doesn't matter the underlying cause, and that includes MVP and all valve disorders. With a low CO, most notably but not limited to would be fatique emanating with blood volume changes from exercise, a high resting heart rate and other physiological factors. Also, for a short period of time there will be a rise above normal in heart's ejection factor and then a fall to an EF below 30%.

We all seem to agree if cardiac output is compromised to a lesser extent than severe one may be asymptomatic as one's system may compensate and meet the system's demand for oxygen. However, an exam and test would find signs of MVP. Symptoms categorized into a syndrome for MVP overlap into other problems not associated with valves or even a heart problem for that matter.

Closed Thread