It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
(female)

deenie HB User
What is wearing a Holter Monitor like?

I may be getting one for overnight to make sure there's nothing wacky going on. I'm a light sleeper as it is and I'm worried that this will be uncomfortable and I'll be tangled up in wires. I know I won't sleep a wink! I have 2 toddlers so I need my sleep...TIA!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: What is wearing a Holter Monitor like?

Well - yes, you will have wires attached to your chest. These wired all lead to a small recording device (about the size of a small handbag). You will do best if you can sleep on your side or back - and place the recorder next to you on the bed. I am a very light sleeper, but surprisingly I didnt' sleep too badly with the Holter on.

Look at it this way - it is an important device, and it's only for one night

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I thought it helped to put the recorder thing under my pillow. It's a pain if you roll over a lot (which I do). I also think the stickers are itchy...the one near my neck bothered me the most. I slept okay though. The most important thing is to make sure the stickers stay attached. They stuck them on at the dr's office and then taped them. I added more tape before I went to bed just to be safe (I didn't want to have to do it again!).

All in all it wasn't too bad. I have 5 kids and am very active so it was inconvenient at times. I was glad to get it off...I can't imagine having to wear it for a month like some people do!!

Obviously it's an important test and worth the inconvenience. I hope it goes well for you! Let us know!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 11-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

It's not so bad. The wires are a little annoying. Don't plan on leaving the house while wearing it!And you can just move it to the side that you don't sleep on. It isn't fun taking those little sticky things off your chest though..

Old 11-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

Brooke111 HB User

The worse part for me was it was a bit itchy, the tape that is. They tape the wires, unless you move a LOT when you sleep it shouldn't be a problem. I even slept on my stomach, but it was more comfortable on my back. I managed to sleep. your supposed to do whatever you normally do in a day, they want to get a good reading from when your active and resting. If you live in a warm climate, I would limit working out though, sweating can make it more itchy.

All in all, it's not bad, just a tad uncomfortable, and if you do things to keep your mind off it you may not even notice it. They only put like 5 or so patches on your chest. The little recorder you carry is pretty small, at least mine was. I kept it in my pocket and it was pretty pretected. I even dropped it on the floor a few times and the wires never budged.

You just can't shower, or sleep with an electric blanket, that is what they told me. But take a shower before you get it on, and you will be fine.

The most annoying part for me was having to write in the diary they gave you. And of course taking the tape off stinged a bit.

Don't worry, I rather have a holter Monitor then other proceedures!

Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

deenie HB User
Thanks for all the info BUT

I have a 1.5 yr old and a 33 mo old - how will I keep them from noticing the wires??? They try to grab at everything! Uh oh...

Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I have 5 kids (my youngest is 29 months old) and they never saw my wires until I showed them. I kept the excess loops tucked into my pants. The rest were hidden by my shirt. The monitor I wore could hook on a belt, be worn like a fanny pack or like a small purse. I found it most inconspicuous worn around my neck and arm diagonally across my chest.

I wore a t-shirt, put the recorder on and then put a hooded zip-front sweatshirt over it. No one ever noticed and I did a lot of errands while I was in town (it's a small town and I saw many people I knew) .

I even wore it to tae kwon do without any problems. It bounced around a little but it wasn't too bad.

The wires did get tugged on a little with various activities but none of the stickers ever came off. If they do come off, just write it down that you had to reattach the lead and what time it came off. Reinforce it with tape and it shouldn't come off anymore.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
(female)

Brooke111 HB User

Just wear clothes and the wires wont be seen. My holitor pack was the size of a small cell phone. so it went right in my pocket.

Closed Thread