It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

Brina76 HB User
Early Morning Chest Pain

Hello. I have searched everywhere online and cannot figure what the problem is so hopefully, someone here will be able to help.

In the mornings when I wake up, I have this terrible chest pain. It feels like I have a ton of bricks laying on top of me. I do not have shortness of breath and sometimes I feel almost like I'm paralyzed. I am always on my side when I experience the pain. If I slowly move to my back, the pain goes away. I have no pain at all through the day, only when I wake up each morning. I had the same exact pains a couple years ago when I was on Vioxx for bursitis. After Vioxx was recalled and I stopped taking it, the pain stopped and I though nothing more of it. At the time, I figured that the Vioxx was doing it since it had been recalled for causing heart problems. I did go see a doctor then and had an EKG done, which came back normal.

I am 29 years old, about 15 pounds overweight, and I do smoke about a pack a day. I know thats bad and I should quit, but I am working on that. I have been under a great amount of stress lately also. I recently started exercising, but the chest pain started before that. Heart problems do run in my family...my dad is 53 and has had a couple heart attacks. I am currently taking a multi vitamin, St. John's Wort, Vitamin B-6, and occassionally Melotinin so I can sleep, but no prescription drugs. I do not drink alcohol. This may be too much information, but maybe someone knows what this is or what could be causing it. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Brina76; 11-22-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

trekgirl HB User
Re: Early Morning Chest Pain

You may want to get a referal to a cardiologist as soon as possible. Get a full workup doen to make sure that there is no heart problems. They will do possibly a stress test and an echo. Be sure to get to a cardio, since you stated that there is a family history of heart disease. It is genetic and needs to be checked into. Good luck, hon.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
(female)

Cannalee HB User
Re: Early Morning Chest Pain

Two factors you mention cause me to think that it is very likely your problem is not cardiac but rather most likely muscle/skeletal in origin: 1) your age, 2) the pain seems positional , that is it goes away when you change position...there is the possibility you may have a hiatal hernia which is aggravated both by smoking and laying flat, but I am inclined to believe, just on what you have told us, that your symptoms are Thoracic Outlet Syndrome type thing--laying on your side, your subclavian and other arteries are "pinched" obstructing proper circulatory flow, nerves are pinched, compressed, etc. TOS can aggravate the perianginal nerve that runs across the chest, causing "angina", etc.
All of this said, it should also be said that most heart attacks occur in the early morning: so definitely you should have a complete cardiac workup, with family history in mind, but I would also definitely have an UGI to check out possibility of hiatal hernia, and be examined for TOS....I placing my bet it's TOS, in which case PT would be a choice of therapy (a delightful therapy which most likely will cause the extra 15 lbs. to be effortlessly lost! I lost 15 lbs without realizing it just doing the excercises--didn't realize it until the PT reached to hold up my jeans which were beginning to fall down from being loose! ) Good luck! Don't ignore the symptoms, but hopefully I'm right.

Closed Thread