It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

Jaber HB User
Stress-related heart problems

So, the majority of heart palpitations and such are considered to be stress related, not to mention diet related. That's pretty much a fact. Judging by all the palpitation/racing heart threads here, how many of you were told by your cardiologist/dr. that it's just stress and your heart is healthy?

I was convinced that I have heart problems, and my cardiologist told me that my heart is fine, and I need to work on the stress in my life to deal w/ my heart issues (and eliminate caffeine). For me, exercise is my stress reliever, but I don't have much time in my life to go to the gym. So I just have to deal w/ the minor heart palps and shortness of breath.

How does everyone else deal w/ their stress and does it work?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

camtorres15 HB User
Re: Stress-related heart problems

Hi Jaber~

Yes, my doctors have all told me it's stress, hormones, whatever. I've had numerous tests and seen 2 cardiologists. It's frustrating, but at the same time I'm glad my heart is OK. I started taking a beta blocker about 3 months ago just b/c I was so tired of the palps and racing heart. It has helped a lot! but I also have found ways to deal with my stress and anxiety. My number one piece of advice to deal with stress is to write in a journal. I know it sounds corny but it really works. Because sometimes my stress is family related and I can't really talk to them about it. Make sense? Like if my kids are driving me crazy...how do I tell them they are making Mom insane? LOL. So I go sit in my room with the door closed and write for about 15 minutes about anything and everything. You'd be amazed at what a difference it makes! I also have found that taking walks helps me. But it's getting really cold where I live so it's hard for me to do that. Well I'm just too lazy to get all bundled up for the cold. :-) I also like to take drives by myself. Just get in the car and drive to the other side of town. By the time I get there I turn around and come back and feel a lot better. So those are just a few things I do. I hope it helps you a little bit!!! Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

A doctor told me it was stress. After using betablockers I had MORE pvc's, LOTS more. He said it was because I stressed about taking the betablocker

Well, here are the facts... I sometimes get pvc's when stressed (especially sudden stress, like almost getting run over by a car etc), but I get most of my pvc's just sitting in front of the tv/computer, relaxed as can be.
So stress is not my problem. Also I don't drink coffee, I rarely eat chocolate, alcohool doesn't trigger pvc's, etc. Basically I haven't got a clue what the cause is, and neither does my doctor. How convenient to blame it on stress

Old 11-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsofglass
Basically I haven't got a clue what the cause is, and neither does my doctor. How convenient to blame it on stress
Yes, it is very convenient for a doctor to blame a patient's problems on stress. It's easy, it pays good, a doctor can cram more patients into his waiting room and tell all of them that it is stress regardless of the case history. Unfortunately, it provides a poor quality of care for most patients.

It is a scientific fact that stress can cause the endocrine system to pump hormones and those hormones can cause the heart to misfire. But there are many things that cause the endocrine system to pump extra hormones, not just stress.

I am not a health professional. I am someone who has been fighting against heart disease and heart rhythm problems for decades and have done quite a bit of research. I have found out that there are many things, besides stress, that can cause a heart to misfire or can cause an increase in blood pressure. If an "uneducated" person, like me, can find these "easy to find" medical articles, why is it that most doctors can't seem to find these same articles, and always stick to their assinine conclusion that it is always stress that causes a patient's heart rhythm or blood pressure problems?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-10-2005 at 03:15 AM.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Well, fortunately I don't have high BP. On the contrary, aside from severe white coat (ranging from 140 to 160) my pressure is usually around 95-110.
I had no idea that forsome people there is a link between BP and arrhythmias...

As for stress being the culprit for everything... Is it laziness on behalf of the doctors? Is it simply because stress is a magical word this last decade? I wish I knew...

Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

Jaber HB User

I have low blood pressure, ("good"-low) and have heart problems and shortness of breath. The first thing my cardiologist said, and has kept to it, was that it was stress. To me, that's laziness. Although I'm going in for an Echo, I have a feeling if that turns out ok, there will be no further testing, and I'm doomed to be labeled "stress-related".

Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber
I have low blood pressure, ("good"-low) and have heart problems and shortness of breath. The first thing my cardiologist said, and has kept to it, was that it was stress. To me, that's laziness. Although I'm going in for an Echo, I have a feeling if that turns out ok, there will be no further testing, and I'm doomed to be labeled "stress-related".
If the heart is pumping strong when the blood pressure is low, then that is a good sign. On the other hand, if the heart is beating weakly when the blood pressure is low, that is not a good sign.

There is new, relatively inexpensive heart testing equipment called an ICG which not only tests the blood pressure, but also the pumping ability of the heart and also provides EKG results. To me, it is a medical breakthrough that is beneficial to patients. It hooks up similar to an EKG machine. Have you had an ICG test?

Have you ruled out Asthma as a reason for your breathing problems?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

Jaber HB User

No asthma. Wouldn't an ICG give the same results as an ECHO in addition to an EKG?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
(female)

lis747 HB User

Hello I am new. I have mitral valve prolapse. I take Tenormin which it is a beta blocker and it really helps with the palpitations but I have been getting so many anxiety attacks that it is scary. I do have a lot of stress right now money wise. I am not working but when I do get a job I start getting the anxiety stronger and at night I start feeling like I can't breath and get so scared that I am sick. I just recently went to the ER with chest pains and they ran tests and my heart is fine it's all mental. I just wish this would all go away oh and I don't have any health insurance so that does not help.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber
No asthma. Wouldn't an ICG give the same results as an ECHO in addition to an EKG?
From what I understand, the only other effective means of measuring how well the heart is pumping is the invasive heart catherization.

Here is an article about the use of the ICG (Impedance cardiography) by emergency physicians:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/500457

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-01-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis747
Hello I am new. I have mitral valve prolapse. I take Tenormin which it is a beta blocker and it really helps with the palpitations but I have been getting so many anxiety attacks that it is scary. I do have a lot of stress right now money wise. I am not working but when I do get a job I start getting the anxiety stronger and at night I start feeling like I can't breath and get so scared that I am sick. I just recently went to the ER with chest pains and they ran tests and my heart is fine it's all mental. I just wish this would all go away oh and I don't have any health insurance so that does not help.
Sorry to hear that you are under so much stress. I wish you good luck in the future, hoping that things improve for you.

When I am suffering from stress or depression, I take an inexpensive vitamin B-Complex pill with a Vitamin C, and it helps to take the edge off.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi i am under alot of tres also have 2 kids and run a small biz form home and my husband operates it, its alot of sress i also have thyroid problems and get chest pain, weakness o the left arm and tingling on my face/ my Bp stays low and i get flutters in myc het

anyway like someone said taking walks is great for stress but i dont even get to do this since i have no family in town so we are on our own and when hubby gets home he is so tired that i cant tell him that i wanna go or a walk, its super stressful right now for mw, i just hope I dont have a heart attack,

Old 12-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
Hi i am under alot of tres also have 2 kids and run a small biz form home and my husband operates it, its alot of sress i also have thyroid problems and get chest pain, weakness o the left arm and tingling on my face/ my Bp stays low and i get flutters in myc het

anyway like someone said taking walks is great for stress but i dont even get to do this since i have no family in town so we are on our own and when hubby gets home he is so tired that i cant tell him that i wanna go or a walk, its super stressful right now for mw, i just hope I dont have a heart attack,
I place earphones on my head, turn on music, and take a 30 minute walk, twice a day, right in my own home. I walk from one end to the other, all the time listening to music. It is not only relaxing, but the 30 minutes seems like 5 minutes. Plus, exercise is one of the best meds that you can take. If you can't do 30 minutes, try 20, or 15.

About your stress and anxiety...... With your lifestyle and two kids and business at home, the stress and pressure on you is not good for your health or your state of mind, as you well know. Plus, your allergies cause additional hormones to be pumped into your body, like adrenalin, making your already high level of anxiety even worse.

Even if you are not heading for a heart attack, you need to take positive action now. You need relief from the constant stress, and only you can do something about it. Plus, if you can do something to limit exposure to allergens you might be able to reduce anxiety.

How much time during an average day can you break away and just do something that you enjoy, or a time that you can have to yourself just to relax?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #14
(female)

lis747 HB User

Thanks.

I will try the vitamin B and C.

Closed Thread