It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Calcium Channel Blockers..dont' take with grapfruit juice?

Does anyone know why you are not supposed to drink grapefuit juice while taking calcium channel blockers? Does it just lower the effectiveness, or interact?I don't imagine it could be dangerous, but would like to know. I just take a low dose of diltiazem for some minor chest pains caused by MVP, so if the effectiveness is lowere a bit it won't hurt me. I am asking because this one supplement I wanted to try had grapefruit seed in it.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

cfoxj HB User
Re: Calcium Channel Blockers..dont' take with grapfruit juice?

Natalie00, do not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while taking a calcium channel blocker! If you read your rap (warning) sheet that comes with your medicine it will tell you this. I don't know why, but, I believe it interacts with it and can cause some serious problems. I know this as I use to take a calcium channel blocker myself. Check into a book that lists drug and herb/supplement interactions. You can find a lot on the internet at various web sites. amaz...com is a good place to start. Also, some GNC stores have a computer that you can check drug and vitamin/supplement/herb interactions. Educate yourself before taking anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

Kathy C HB User

If you take any kind of Cardiac drugs you should not drink or eat grapefruit. It is not determined how this happens or why exactally but some of the drugs is inhances the effectiveness of the drug. So say you are taking 20mgs a day the grapefruit can make it so that the dose of drug you get is like 60 or 80mg. Other drugs you take is decreases the effectiveness of them. So say you are taking 20mgs a day with the grapefruit it could work out to something like 2mgs of the drug and that is not good.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Thanks for the replies! My doctors (none of them) even told me about the grapefruit/Calcium channel blocker interaction..I read it online. I do not drink grapefruit juice and would not, but was wondering if a supplement with grapefruit seed extract (it is a product like Colon Cleanse) would have the same interaction.

Do you know if it is safe to suddenly discontinue a calcium channel blocker? I am on 30mgs of diltiazem VOLUNTARILY (meaning my doc says I could or could not take it; it was up to me) for just the fluttering feeling I get in my chest and minor mains due to MVP. Frankly I don't know if the stuff is even helping so I'm sort of wondering if it it worth taking it at all, since apparently it can interact with some things.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I'd wean off it just to be safe. Perhaps 15 mg/day for a week is wise. Then nothing.

On the grapefruit, I've read that a half grapefruit is not likely to cause any problems but a pint of juice might.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-06-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Thanks, my doc said it would be fine for me to just discontinue to 30mg of diltiazem. I am going to stop for about a month and see if I notice a difference. If the diltiazem isn't really helping and it's just a psychological effect like a placebo then what's the point of being on it, right?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
(male)

ediot HB User

Grapefruits contain an enzyme that affects the digestive tract. Possibly why people eat grapefruit or take grapefruit supplements for weight loss.
By disrupting this the medication you take can be effected. I once heard an MD say anyone on any meds should avoid grapefruit, PERIOD! Even if you take a med in the pm you should avoid grapefruit in the am. Or vice versa. The enzyme in the fruit can remain for up to 48 hours or so.

Last edited by ediot; 01-07-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Closed Thread