It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
What is this? Weird symptom.

I've been noticing something now for the last several weeks.

When I bend down to tie my shoe laces, pick something up off the floor etc I get chest pain (similar to someone sitting on my chest), I feel fuzzy headed and dizzy like I'm drunk and my heart beats VERY fast. It goes so fast that it feels like its going to pound through my chest. My mum says when I bend down and this happens, I do look very pale suddenly and I also need my inhaler. Sometimes I become flushed like I have a high temperature.

I dont have any problems with my blood pressure or heart that I know of. I do experience chest pains, breathlessness and dizzy spells and cant run up the stairs or down them, without becoming breathless.

I did go into cardiac arrest a year ago when my blood sugar dropped too low but I wasn't checked for any heart problem. I've been having chest pain since I was 15 (Im 19 now) and was referred to a cardiologist who did a ECHO and 24hr halter monitor. He said my heart looked fine at the present time. The only thing he noticed was a fast heart rate and that my symptoms were consistent with angina. After the tests he gave me the all clear. What I've mentioned above is a new symptom for me and I really dont like bending down anymore.

My heart rate is usually between 100-132. I did have a heart rate of 153 a few months ago but my doctors dont seem interested.

My circulation is pretty poor too as Im prone to freezing cold hands and feet, numbness in hands and feet and feet and legs turning a mottled bluish colour while my knee cap becomes purple. Could this be related to the above?

Im not sure if Ive posted this in the right place but I hope I have.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
(male)

redbaron HB User
Re: What is this? Weird symptom.

Hello, a Heart Rate of up to 132 is unusual, if that is your 'resting' heart rate. Have you discussed 'Atrial Fibrillation' with your Doctor? This could account for the high Heart Rate and the dizziness, and it is easily controlled with drugs such as Tambocor.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

Yes this is my resting heart rate. The 153 heart rate was when I was sitting down so I think this would be a resting heart rate too. Everytime I've had my heart rate checked I have never known it to be below 100 since I was 15/16.

When Im standing up and doing nothing, just standing there for several minutes (I could be talking to phone etc) my heart rate is fast then also. I dont know if its fast all the time but when I feel it pounding or feel pressure, it usually beats fast.

I havent talked to my doctor about what you mentioned. To be honest I dont think my doctor is interested. My Mum is worried because everyone on my fathers side had heart disease, valve disease, heart aneurysms etc etc including my dad who had a very weak heart.

What would cause the dizzyness, pressure in my chest and fast heart rate when I bend down?

Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

Kathy C HB User

You definatly need something for that resting heart rate. It should not be higher than 100. As for the cold hand and feet you could have something called Renauoids (spelling is not right) which is a circulation problem. I would go to your Family Doctor and tell them you want blood work done especiall thyroid (THS, T3 Free T4 these can cause increased heart rates), Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium along with the other normal blood work and see if anything there is out of whack. Might be that you are simply deficient in an area that can be eaily treated.

I do know if your thyroid is either to high or too low it will cause increase heart rates.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya KathyC

Thank you for your reply. I know what you mean about the circulation problem. Its called Raynauds syndrome. I do think I have this because I have the symptoms for it (cant touch cold objects etc etc) so Im going to try and see a Rheumatologist as soon as my doctor refers me or failing that, go private.

I had my Thyroid and the usual blood tests done back in July/Aug. My wbc was high, rbc was low, oxygen levels were low, glucose was borderline and infectious diseases was borderline too. I haven't had them done since but I will if you think its necessary. I really dont want anything wrong with my heart. It would be horrible.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
I really dont want anything wrong with my heart. It would be horrible.
You could have problems with your heart that are not horrible, like the problems that you have now.

Quote:
When I bend down to tie my shoe laces, pick something up off the floor etc I get chest pain (similar to someone sitting on my chest), I feel fuzzy headed and dizzy like I'm drunk and my heart beats VERY fast. It goes so fast that it feels like its going to pound through my chest. My mum says when I bend down and this happens, I do look very pale suddenly and I also need my inhaler. Sometimes I become flushed like I have a high temperature.
I've got heart failure. When my heart failure was worse, I would get similar symptoms as yours when I bent down to tie my shoe laces. As my heart got stronger, I had less problems bending down.

My heart failed because my heart beat too fast, for seven full months. For seven months, my heart did not beat less than 160 bpm. I was told that, a heart that doesn't rest (beat normally) will slowly weaken.

Whether or not that is related to your problem, only a medical professional would be able to know. You might have some type of nerve problem, where bending puts pressure on a nerve, which in turn causes your heart to misfire, and causing your other symptoms.

Quote:
I dont have any problems with my blood pressure or heart that I know of.
You should get a blood pressure monitor and take your own blood pressure readings, especially during the times when you have increased symptoms and breathing difficulties.

Quote:
I do experience chest pains, breathlessness and dizzy spells and cant run up the stairs or down them, without becoming breathless.
These could be symptoms of early heart failure and/or asthma, or other problems. I am not a health professional, and neither is anyone else on Healthboards, so I am just forwarding my non-professional thoughts.

Quote:
I did go into cardiac arrest a year ago when my blood sugar dropped too low but I wasn't checked for any heart problem.
Blood sugar, and the way that your body handles insulin, has a direct impact on your heart, among other things. It's all related.

Quote:
I've been having chest pain since I was 15 (Im 19 now) and was referred to a cardiologist who did a ECHO and 24hr halter monitor. He said my heart looked fine at the present time. The only thing he noticed was a fast heart rate and that my symptoms were consistent with angina. After the tests he gave me the all clear. What I've mentioned above is a new symptom for me and I really dont like bending down anymore.
You are very young to be placed on heart meds, but if that was me, I would want to try something like Digoxin. It is very inexpensive, has been around for over a hundred years, it slows the heartbeat and at the same time it helps the heart to beat stronger.

I've been fighting serious heart disease for over twenty years. My problems with a fast heart beat started when I was in my teens.

Regards, and good luck to you!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya BeerZoids

I have got asthma which isn't very well controlled as none of my asthma medications are working very well which is probably why my oxygen levels are low. This is probably why its hard for me to run up the stairs thinking about it now but it has gotten more difficult within the last few months.

I'm not sure if this is related to my problem but I tired to quit smoking 2 months ago and on my pharmacists advise, I bought a product to help me quit and I had to put a middle sized tablet in my mouth and suck it. It said on the box dont take if you have heart problems etc wich I haven't got, so I took them. Within 10minutes of taking it, I had the most god awful chest pains. It was all over my chest. So I stopped taking the tablet thing as I thought this caused the chest pain.

I was also down A&E back in October for severe chest pains. The pain was all over my chest with stabbing and also a heavy pressure like feeling. I couldn't breathe as good as I normally do and the pain was down my arm. I was given a ECG at the hospital and pain killers which didn't work and told I probably had indigestion. (Which I didnt have). My heart was doing 125BPM and my sats were 96. I wasn't given any blood tests or anything so I have no idea what caused this pain. The pain did last for over 10hours which is why I went to A&E in the end. (I hate hospitals, doctors, etc).

I really hate medication but I will speak to my doctor about this. Is there any blood tests done my my general practioner which can indicate something wrong with my heart? Im wondering because I dont want to go back to the Cardiologist as I feel silly because Im so young. I found out today that my dad had Ischaemic Heart Disease and it started because he couldn't breathe properly because he had severe COPD.

Im really sorry about your heart. I hope your doing much better now and thank you for your reply.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
Hiya BeerZoids

I have got asthma which isn't very well controlled as none of my asthma medications are working very well which is probably why my oxygen levels are low.
You've got asthma and you smoke? Tsk, tsk TSK!! I wonder why people like you and I continue to smoke when they have asthma? Probably because we are so addicted to it. I was finally forced to give up smoking because each puff was painful to my throat and lungs. It still took me years to get over the urge to smoke, but I was able to do it cold turkey.

Why do you think that your asthma not under control? Are you following many of the guidelines for avoiding asthma problems? Medicine alone won't solve asthma problems. Avoidance, allergy shots, and avoidance and avoidance AND the medication can control asthma.

Quote:
This is probably why its hard for me to run up the stairs thinking about it now but it has gotten more difficult within the last few months.
During allergy or asthma problems, hormones are released by your body that excite your heart. Often, during an allergy/asthma attack, the heart will be jumping and skipping and racing. Thus, during asthma difficulties, both the asthma and the heart misfiring, will add to the difficulty climbing stairs or lacing up shoes.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is related to my problem but I tired to quit smoking 2 months ago ...
The smoke is not only bad for your lungs, but the many different nasty chemicals, in the smoke, will make allergies and asthma worse. So..... even when you are not smoking, the chemicals from the smoke, stored in your body, will continue to cause you problems.

Quote:
... and on my pharmacists advise, I bought a product to help me quit and I had to put a middle sized tablet in my mouth and suck it. It said on the box dont take if you have heart problems etc wich I haven't got, so I took them. Within 10minutes of taking it, I had the most god awful chest pains. It was all over my chest. So I stopped taking the tablet thing as I thought this caused the chest pain.
The doctors haven't been able to tell you what is wrong, so you are stuck at this time trying to figure it out yourself. Not the best of situations, huh?

Your chest pain certainly could be non-heart related, but because of your history of heart-related problems, I would not rule out that your chest pain can be heart related, and possibly connected to allergic related stress on the heart.

Quote:
I was also down A&E back in October for severe chest pains. The pain was all over my chest with stabbing and also a heavy pressure like feeling. I couldn't breathe as good as I normally do and the pain was down my arm. I was given a ECG at the hospital and pain killers which didn't work and told I probably had indigestion. (Which I didnt have). My heart was doing 125BPM and my sats were 96. I wasn't given any blood tests or anything so I have no idea what caused this pain. The pain did last for over 10hours which is why I went to A&E in the end. (I hate hospitals, doctors, etc).
Well...... we know that your heart wasn't behaving itself, right? Your heart was doing 125bpm, constantly I assume. That implies an irritated heart. That doesn't mean that you have major heart problems, but it might mean that your heart is being effected because of some kind of allergic reaction to food, or drink, or something you wore, or some pollens or pollutants in the air, or from cigarette smoke, or any combination of these.

Quote:
I really hate medication but I will speak to my doctor about this. Is there any blood tests done my my general practioner which can indicate something wrong with my heart? Im wondering because I dont want to go back to the Cardiologist as I feel silly because Im so young. I found out today that my dad had Ischaemic Heart Disease and it started because he couldn't breathe properly because he had severe COPD.

Im really sorry about your heart. I hope your doing much better now and thank you for your reply.
Does your heart always race? How often? An hour per day? All day long?

Digoxin works very well, but, just as it slows down your heart, it also slows you down. I have to constantly fight against the lethargy and tiredness caused by digoxin.

If it were me, I would first quit smoking. (I know..... easier said than done). Smoke has many nasty chemicals in it. Then I would get the asthma under control. By the way, some of the asthma meds will also incite the heart and cause the heart to misfire and malfunction.

One thing you could do that is inexpensive, relatively safe, and would tell you about your heart, would be to ask your doctor for a prescription to a low dose of NitroQuick. Then, when you got chest pain, or had problems breathing, you could put a nitro under your tongue and see if it took away the pain or helped with the breathing. If after a few encounters with problems, it doesn't take away the pain, or ease your breathing, even one time, then you would know that it wasn't your heart, and you could toss the bottle in the toilet, or someplace else more suitable. Just a thought from a fellow patient.......

Oh...... I am doing MUCH better. It took years and a lot of learning and doing, but I think I am finally on top of my health problems.

Thanks for the comment! Take care.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya again.

Yeah I know I'm bad smoking with asthma. I have quit several times before but then the cravings kick in and I start smoking lightly again. I am definitely going to quit smoking because its a awful habit and isnt good for asthma at all. I smoke between 5-10 cigarettes a day.

I know my asthma isnt well controlled because I'm doing everything right (avoiding triggers etc...apart from smoking), my oxygen levels are low and because I've been put on more medication because I keep having asthma attacks..about 3 a day.

Yeah you're right. The doctors haven't told me whats wrong so I am stuc figuring it out myself. The only diagnosis I'll get off my doctor is stress which would be inaccurate. I think my doctors are rubbish which is why I avoid them Lol.

It varies how long my heart races for. It can be for a few minutes to a hour and sometimes a few hours. It usually happens daily and it ALWAYS happens when I bend down like I said in the first post.

Im always tired too which drives my family crazy. Oh I almost forgot to mention, whenever I have chest pain I always take anti-acid medicine to see if it releaves it. If its a heartburn pain it does but when its stabbing or the heavy weight on my chest, it doesn't.

Is there a blood test I can have which will indicate if anything is wrong with my Heart? I was thinking this would be quicker than getting referred to a cardio again and going through more tests. Its basically a waiting game.

Oh I think I know what tablet your referring to being put under my tongue. We call it GTN spray here and you can have it in tablet form or the spray. I have tried this before a few times when the pain is very bad. It has stopped the pain about 3/5 times.

I'm so glad you're doing much better now. I wish you all the best.

Closed Thread