It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Exclamation Palpitations and chest pain.....nothing found wrong???

Hi,

I am confused and rather frustrated right now. About a year ago, I started having severe chest pain. It was very much angina, as it would run down one of my arms when I had it, and my doctor diagnosed it as such. She then send me to a cardiologists to have test, after test, after test (including blood work, EKG, ultrasounds, etc.). He said they found nothing and sent me off saying it must have just been stress. I took an aspirin everyday after that, and sure enough, the pain seemed to ease up....going from severe (feeling I need to go to the hospital), to just a nuisance (which still continues today off and on).

My real concern now is the extremely frequent palpitations I've been having lately. I've had a few a year throughout my life, but within the last few months, I've been having between 30 and 50 a day...on average...sometimes more...I've counted up to about 70! I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't make me feel like someone is knocking the air out of me everytime I have one! I'm not even actually sure if what I am feeling are palpitations at all! All of my reading has suggested that palpitations are when you can feel your heart beating hard, too fast, or too slow, or something like that. With mine, I just feel a hard "thump" and it feels like someone knocked the air out of me or something. It is rather uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this? And should I be worried? What can cause this?

Any advice would be a blessing!

Thanks!

-Vers

Last edited by *Versailles*; 01-20-2006 at 09:57 PM. Reason: adding info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
(female)

trekgirl HB User
Re: Palpitations and chest pain.....nothing found wrong???

You may anxiety problems. It will make the heart race and cause others problems that mask the real thing. You may want to talk to your doctor about this possibility. You are really fixated on have heart problems that you are scaring yourself. Calm down, take a breathe and talk with your doctor if it might be anxiety. It is a real problem and can make the body react. I am not putting you down, just sugesting another road to take and find out what might be wrong. You did right by going to the cardoiolgist and getting the tests done and the outcome was great. Now the hard part is going down another road of finding out what it might be. Good luck, the new road is shaky and trying at times. Hope you do find out what is causing all this for you. Bless you this day.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Thanks for your response. I actually do have anxiety problems and I am actually taking medication for it. It is just frustrating more than frightening. I'm not afraid to be sick....just frustrated....which I do realize can also make anxiety worse. Thanks again for your response, I just kinda wish it was something besides anxiety.....because anxiety sucks to treat...it's so hard.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Versailles,

That "thump" and a feeling of howllow doom that follows it aren't dangerous just SCARY. Often magnesium supplementation can help a lot.

On the chest PAIN:
If it occurs on exertion and abates when you stop and you get short of breath when you feel the pain, you need a stress test. You didn't mention that from the doctor's workup. Unless he did this, all the testing in the world (other than angiography) isn't good enough to rule out ischemic angina (blockage.)

Say hello to Marie Antionette if you see her.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-22-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Closed Thread