It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

catcopy HB User
antibiotics when taking beta blockers

Does anyone know which antibiotics should be avoided while taking beta blockers? I have been taking inderal for my MVP and when I go to the dentist she gives me amoxicillan. I recently read in a magazine where those two drugs should not be given together. Now I'm concerned. I can't remember now where I read this and I've tried doing some research on the internet but to no avail. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Lindsay:-) HB User
Re: antibiotics when taking beta blockers

Hi,

I have been on so many different drugs since I was born - including beta blockers, at the moment I am on digoxin, lisinopril, amiodarone, fruesamide and warfarin and I have always had amoxycillan as antibiotics before I go to the dentist or to clear up any infections that I get.
I have never had a problem, the only drug that it might react with is warfarin as it doesn't like any changes and can go too high or low.
It does say in all the drug leaflets about mixing antibiotics with drugs but the risk of not taking it is higher than taking it.
Dentists know all about which drugs react with each other so they wouldn't ask you to take it if they though it would be a problem.

Lindsay

Last edited by Lindsay:-); 03-03-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
(female)

enie HB User
Re: antibiotics when taking beta blockers

I know you have to be careful with certain Antibiotics when you take arrhythmia meds. I take a lot of different kinds of heart meds so couldn't tell which one is at fault, but I know that I can not take Leviquin without shortness of breath.
enie

Closed Thread