It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User
Pulse >150 after yard work

On Sunday afternoon, my dad and I were doing some yard work. Mainly, we were raking leaves, but the later part of the day was spent moving a few large stumps together. They were fairly heavy, but they weren't as bad as I thought. I've lately been noticing that my pulse is a bit high at times, and I knew that work like this would really get my heart beating fast.

I went inside to take a break, and I decided to check to see how fast it was going. Checked the number of beats in 10 seconds and multiplied the number by 6, and I was shocked to see that the number was at least 156!!!

About half and hour later, I checked again, and was relieved to see that it had gone down to 108-114. But later, when I was eating dinner, it was over 130! I've also been noticing that even doing simple things like taking a bath will escalate my pulse to around that area. It's ridiculous!

Any ideas what could be the problems for this, and what should I do? I don't really excercise all that much, and I just sit around doing nothing a lot of the time. Maybe my body's not used to getting up and moving around so much. Still, I don't think the pulse should be THAT high.

Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns?

Thanks

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 03-06-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Lindsay:-) HB User
Re: Pulse >150 after yard work

Hi Joe,

It sounds to me as if your having unexplained attacks of tachycardia, have you ever been tested? When it happens do you feel weak and faint or do you hardley notice it?
I have A fib and when it races I feel very weak and like I am going to pass out, I don't know how fast it goes, I'm not normally able to take it when I feel like that.
I have recently been diagnosed with Ventricular Tachycardia and when that was happening I didn't even notice apart from maybe feeling a bit out of breath and a bit dizzy but that is normal for me. I had a 24 hour tape put on and it picked up that my heart was going at 153 beats per minute. I was ok when I wasn't doing anything but as soon as I started to do something it would set my heart off and I'd pay for it.
I would go to your doctor and ask them to do an ECG or a 24 hour tape on you and then when you have it on, make sure you do lots of things that you would normally do so it has a better chance of picking up any funny beats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

Hi, and thanks for the response and help!

No, I don't think I have ever really felt tired, weak, exhausted, etc. when my pulse races. Sometimes I feel kind of excited when it happens, though, and sometimes my heart races even when I don't. But yeah, I'll see about going to a doctor.

Thanks again for the info. and help.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User
Pulse won't go down after excercise!!!

Bump

Today, I was doing some more yard work (raking leaves) for about an hour, and I went inside. I expected my pulse to be elevated, so that didn't really concern me so much this time. What I wanted to check on this time was to see whether my heart would slow down after excersize.

After first sitting down, I checked my pulse. It was around 126. I waited a minute and checked it again, only to find that it was still the same. It had not come down any. I read on one of these posts an article someone quoted that said that could be a very bad thing.

I sat and waited another 5 minutes, but the pulse still hadn't gone down. It was actually up to 144! If after 5 minutes my pulse didn't go down after excercise, that obviously shows that something is not right. It seems to take my heart FOREVER to slow down.

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 03-18-2006 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Changing title.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

How about going to a doctor and having this checked out your GP can refer you to a Cardiologist it is odd to me what your heart is doing they can run some simple tests on you or you could get a event or holter monitor to use for a while and record your heart

good luck

Old 03-19-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

I don't excersize very much. Would that have any affect on how fast my heart slows down?

I took my pulse maybe 10-20 min after I checked it initially, and it finally had slowed down considerably. As I stated earlier, my heart seems to take a long time to slow down, so maybe it's because I don't excersize much.

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 03-19-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Closed Thread