It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

jennazer HB User
Very Rapid heartbeat & Echo question

I started having palpatations about 7 years ago at the end of college. I had a Halter Monitor, showed some palps but nothing they were concerned about and an echo. The echo was all clear except there was a small piece of cartilage that was floppy, I can't even remember where because the cardiologist said that it was not a concern nor will ever be. Since then I have continued to have palps here and there, nothing that really bothered me. Today I started exercising (Im thin but want to tone up) and I felt this flutter in my chest then my heart rate sky rocketed for about 5 minutes. It was regular but extremely fast. I did not have any chest pain, or shortness of breath, or dizziness, just this very very high heart rate. THen as fast as it came on it left and my heart rate while not completely back to normal was much slower then it was. Does anyone know what this could have been? And, if I had a good echo 7 years ago, can I pretty much assure myself that my heart is still in good shape? Sorry if this seems like a atupid question, it just really scared me. Thanks.....

Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Very Rapid heartbeat & Echo question

It sounds like it could have been an episode of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT or PSVT) because one of the telltale symptoms of SVT is that it starts and ends very suddenly. Were you able to take your pulse during the episode? SVT usually causes heartrates of 140-240ish.

Echos check for anatomical abnormalities only. Tachycardias, including SVT, are usually caused by electrical abnormalities not anatomical problems, so they can't be diagnosed by echo. They have to be caught on an EKG. Fortunately, SVT and other tachycardias are generally not dangerous, especially the types that occur in healthy young people, but you should make an appointment with your doctor if you have additional episodes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #3

Jennsie HB User
Re: Very Rapid heartbeat & Echo question

Agreed....I've had episodes where my heart spikes up suddenly then goes back. I caught oe on my halter monitor (heart rate was over 200). Had echo, stress test, both fine. Otherwise totally healthy heart. Turned out to be an electrical problem that beta blockers do a pretty good job of controlling.

Closed Thread