It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
P waves?

I'll try to keep this short. Hubby had a ECG in docs office, it showed no p waves. I understand, kind of what a Pwave is, when your heart "resets" itself before the next beat. Anyway on April 20th he has to have a bunch of test, including holter, ultrasound of heart and stress test and complete lipid tests. It must not be an emergency since its schedule for a month away, but can anyone tell me what this could mean.......not resetting itself? oh yeah, blood test emzymes show normal levels to not indicate a prior heart attack.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: P waves?

Hi katkat,

The P wave stimulates and causes upper chamber (atrial) contraction. When the P wave output in relationship to the QRS wave output, and if that segment is an abnormal representation, that may determine the presence of a heart block (interference to impulse by obstruction along the pathway to the lower chamber for its activation).

There is always going to be p wave otherwise the blood would not pass from the upper chamber to the lower chamber. What you are describing is the shape of the p wave (flat). The p wave is generated from the sinus node in the right upper chamber, and an abnormal amplitude of a p wave generation would/could indicate an atrial disorder.

There may be an electrode (one of 12) that measures only the time of each contraction and relaxation of the upper chamber. I'm not familiar with any specific lead for that measurement, but that could be defined as resetting!? Is that the doctor's term for a flat p wave?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

Yes he said that the heart was not resetting or depolarizing? I think that is the term he used. ITs all confusing to me. My husband is only 49 and seems to young for a heart block but he does smoke.....well he threw them away.......AGAIN today. He is so addicted to them he has such a time. Anyway we have to wait for more than a month before his testing so it must not be a big emergency but it scares me to think something is wrong with his heart. The artia or somehting like that, the top part the doctor said. It just seems weird that if the heart was not resetting, what does that actually mean and what does that actually do to the heart.......or not do. geeze.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

An ECG is only one test in a diagnostic procedure. Often the ECG isn't very meaningful in the totality of a medical opinion. It only captures a representation at a particular time that may or may not be an indication of an issue.

Information from your post does not show any segment abnormality (one wave form into a point in a following wave form) such as p to q (pq), etc. A blockage is not evident from just an abnormal p wave and should not be of any concern.

Depolarizing is an electronic reversal of the previous state. When there is a charge (positive) such as a stimulating impulse, depolarizing would be reversing poles going from a positive activating impulse to discharging to a negative or zero output and that according to your post the doc says is not happening and as a result there is no "resetting". There are only 2 states pertaining to the atria (upper chambers): filling and emptying. If the impulse causes contraction to empty, then no impulse is for filling. If depolariztion is an issue then it must pertain diastole function (filling stage) or "resetting".

If there is incomplete filling there would be a reduction in the cardiac output of oxygen rich blood. This would put a heavier burden on the heart to pump enough blood into circulation to satisfy the demand of the system. The heart rate would increase to provide more volume to meet the same volume of a normal heartbeat's capability. The extra workload will overtime increase the heart's size and the walls of the heart would stiffen making it more difficult to relax and adequating fill. A larger heart will lose contractility. The end result would be heart failure. Worst case scenario.

You shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on the EKG and what the doctor may or may not have meant.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

ok thanks.......lol I am not sure I understood the majority of what you said but I think I got the point. Thanks a lot.

Closed Thread