It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
(male)

moesciphish HB User
What is NORMAL heart beat range? Need advice..

I posted before about going to the ER from chest pains... though I think it may just be reflux or stomach problems... in the ER I was seriously anxious and my heart beat would constantly be around 78-100 but with little movement it could shoot up to 135 at times... however, I was in a very uncomfortable position and again, stressed out. Now when I take my pulse, if I'm sitting in a chair, it's usually 72-84 or so, but sometimes higher in the 90's... I also think it speeds up when I start taking it. When I stand up though and move around and take it.. it can be as high as 120... I guess I always assumed your heart is supposed to be at a pretty constant rate during regular activity... such as just walking around at work/home or going the the store etc... my ER doc said I have intermittent sinus arrythmia. So, I guess my question is, I'm a 28 yo male, have been pretty sedentary and am a smoker (I know), is it "normal" for my heart to increase that high with simple movement and activity? I mean from 72-120 just with normal activity. Also.. could anxiety have caused the sinus arrythmia in the ER? Even though I was lying down, I was very uncomfortable and anxious. My ER doc said I didn't have atrial or ventrical arrythmia and that when my heart would increase, the EKG showed it was at a steady rate, no irregular beats I guess. I mean could being less physically fit cause me to have a higher heart rate when doing simple movements? It doesn't seem to stay high when I am up for awhile... just when I get up and move alittle... then it seems to come back down. I'm sorry, I know I am very new to issues of the heart. But the ER doc wanted me to see a cardiologist because of this... I've read a couple things online and I guess again, I assumed your resting heart rate was when you weren't exercising... but it really should be measured after sleeping or "resting" for awhile. I also saw that with some problems.. the beat can get up to 400 bpm so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about 120-135? It did shoot up to 163 at one point in the ER but that's because the monitor started beeping when it went up to 120 or so and I freaked out...I say this because when it started beeping like crazy, something just felt like a pop in my head and it started racing, like I just unloaded alot of adrenaline.

Last edited by moesciphish; 04-17-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: What is NORMAL heart beat range? Need advice..

Have you had blood work or anything to rule out possible causes? Of course I am not a doctor or anything, but I would think that inactivity could make normal activity harder on your body than a person who is more active. But at the same time I don't know for sure if it would cause it go that high. I don't know though, I am just guessing. Anxiety will cause this to happen as well, but again, not sure if it would cause it to be that high. I am actually going through a similar situation, although mine is not being caused from normal activity, walking around or standing up, nor anxiety etc, mine is almost all the time and has been up in the 150's just sitting there. Right now I am seeing a cardiologist to rule out anything serious. I think that if nothing else, you need to get it under control as it's not good for your heart if it is happening frequently, or at least that is what I have been told thus far. I believe a normal heart rate is around 72 to 75 (usually lower if you are more athletic and active I think) but anything over 100 I've been told is considered elevated. Anyway, of course these are just my thoughts, and I am still learning too, so anyone else????

Last edited by Delia79; 04-18-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

The heart beats at a high rate to meet the system's demand for more oxygen. For instance it would be normal if one was in an area of high altitude with less oxygen with each breath. Also, a respitory disorder will stress the heart for more oxygen, and with less oxygen available the heart rate increases to compensate... and psychological factors that invoke the flight or fight response such as anxiety, apprehension...

Your heart rate is high and should be treated. It could be thyroid, a sinus node problem, etc., or a very poor physical condition. A very fast heartbeat can get out of rhythm and cause a heart attack, and it can cause clots/stroke.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
(male)

moesciphish HB User

One thing I will say.. I've never been a really steady breather.. I'll catch myself holding my breath for no reason... and I'm a smoker... maybe it's respiratory...
Yeah... I'm at a loss and a mess... I've been having chest pains.. but the pains stay when lying down and are all over and in my back also.. actually resting, lying down on the couch watching TV, my pulse is right at about 66-72 bpm... when I get up it can stay around 80-90 bpm... or it can shoot up to 120 bpm... I noticed after walking up the hill in my yard, not very far, my pulse was like 144... The other day after same simple daily activity, I took my pulse at a CVS with a machine, and it was like 54 I have experienced deconditioning and have been very sedentary. The pain in my chest area though is affected by moving and body position... this wouldn't be typical of a heart problem.. and it's there when I'm lying down very relaxed with a rate of 72 bpm. I've taken Tylenol for it and it doesn't help, so I don't think it's muscular... I've had indigestion/reflux but the protonix seemed to help with really bad attacks... but I still get pain below my lower sternum and if I push right below my lower sternum it's very tender... I really haven't had shortness of breath, profuse sweating, or arm pains... I can hear my heartbeat inside of me sometimes, and I relate it to when you have a cut on your finger you can feel your pulse throbbing in the finger... but this is inside my mid/lower sternum area... also.. I can feel a pulse with my fingers just below my sternum... but I'm guessing that is common. Could this all be vascular? Something is irritating the hell out of my chest area and I think it's causing all of my symptoms... would a CT scan show most anything? I've had an endoscopy which the doc said he didn't really see much. A gastric emptying, which was 89 mins, 90 being max in the normal range, though I fell asleep during it and on protonix, and the doc thinks MAYBE I have gastroparesis. But doesn't know why I would have it... all my blood tests have come out ok... I hade 125 total cholesterol, which my GP said was "PERFECT" though my HDL was a little low... but again, I've been sedentary...
EKG's showed some abnormalities, but being the first EKG i've ever had.. who knows... the doc in the ER said he didn't think my chest pains were from my heart...anxiety over this really stinks....

Last edited by moesciphish; 04-18-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I would quit smoking and see if it goes away..I am sure it will alieviate some of the problem!! Nicotin is also a stimulant and can effect your heart rate. And of course it messes with your respitory system.

When I started having PVCs I quit caffiene, cigerettes, and smoking pot (even tho it was occasional at that point). I never drank much anyway. Point is, I couldnt be in fear of dying and so worried about my health while I was destroying it, ya know?? Yes, quitting is hard. But I feel if I can do (I do not consider myseld a strong person at all) ANYone can.

I also wanted to say that yesterday I had a stress test and while I had the EKG hooked up I noticed that my HR jumped up about 15-20 beats upon standing!! I was also nervous..but wondered about it. I also had to skip my medication that morning so who knows...they didnt seem concerned though.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

QUOTE:"I also wanted to say that yesterday I had a stress test and while I had the EKG hooked up I noticed that my HR jumped up about 15-20 beats upon standing!! I was also nervous..but wondered about it. I also had to skip my medication that morning so who knows...they didnt seem concerned though.

Upon standing the ANS (automatic nervous system) adjust vascular tone, heart rate and blood pressure. If there is some ANS dysregulation or orthostatic (standing upright) intolerance, it would have been apparent to those monitoring your signs on the EKG. Skipping medication could affect the ANS or the sign is insignificant.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkeith
QUOTE:"I also wanted to say that yesterday I had a stress test and while I had the EKG hooked up I noticed that my HR jumped up about 15-20 beats upon standing!! I was also nervous..but wondered about it. I also had to skip my medication that morning so who knows...they didnt seem concerned though.

Upon standing the ANS (automatic nervous system) adjust vascular tone, heart rate and blood pressure. If there is some ANS dysregulation or orthostatic (standing upright) intolerance, it would have been apparent to those monitoring your signs on the EKG. Skipping medication could affect the ANS or the sign is insignificant.
I have typically low BP and have always thought I had some sort of ANS problem (dysautonomia or something). But, like I said, they didnt seem to even notice much less be concerned about it.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Ok.. well I'm on a Holter for 24hrs... so we shall see.. I did notice today when I was walking to work from my car... which is a few blocks away and I walk at a pretty steady pace.. my pulse was about 144... I've had pain in my chest area all day, but its usually in the lower sternum area or one of either the right or left side of my lower chest... other than that, getting out of my car to go inside my house it was about 132... but then sitting down at the computer it's between 72-100... also the pains in the chest area and back seem to be effected by movement... this would suggest something else rather than the heart right? If I lean back and arch my back it's worse also...
question about the Holter... I was amazed when I went in to get it put on that it records on a CASSETTE TAPE... I mean... does this thing record EKG like signals on this? And how do they find symptoms on 24 hours of tape? Other than the daily record... does a computer analyze this thing or just a technician?

Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesciphish
Ok.. well I'm on a Holter for 24hrs... so we shall see.. I did notice today when I was walking to work from my car... which is a few blocks away and I walk at a pretty steady pace.. my pulse was about 144... I've had pain in my chest area all day, but its usually in the lower sternum area or one of either the right or left side of my lower chest... other than that, getting out of my car to go inside my house it was about 132... but then sitting down at the computer it's between 72-100... also the pains in the chest area and back seem to be effected by movement... this would suggest something else rather than the heart right? If I lean back and arch my back it's worse also...
question about the Holter... I was amazed when I went in to get it put on that it records on a CASSETTE TAPE... I mean... does this thing record EKG like signals on this? And how do they find symptoms on 24 hours of tape? Other than the daily record... does a computer analyze this thing or just a technician?
Hi My holter was a solid state thing but again pretty basic - seemed to just record the blood pressure and pulse rate and time. Then they read it and graph it. The cardioligist just glanced at the result - no big deal. They were looking to see if the BP dropped down a lot when I was asleep - I explained that it was impossible to sleep with that thing on my arm. He said "What happened here?" - I told him I had to take it off before I could sleep.
There must be a better way.
Beefy

Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers44
I would quit smoking and see if it goes away..I am sure it will alieviate some of the problem!! Nicotin is also a stimulant and can effect your heart rate. And of course it messes with your respitory system.
I smoked my last cigarette last night at 4:30pm... today my RHR has been around 60-72... and when I walk or get up, I don't seem to have as high a heart beat... the only thing I'm worried about now, is that when I had my first EKG done, I had sinus brachycardia...53 bpm registered on the EKG. And I have measured my pulse before when I feel really tired though up and walking around at 54 bpm...

Quitting is going to be a b*tch... I've done it before, the worse was the constipation and diarrhea bouts... but the first 24 haven't been so bad.. alittle anxiety and a little queeziness, but I had that anyway from everything that's been going on... I know the second day is supposed to be the worse though...

I really wonder if smoking so much and deconditioning could be causing all my -cardia problems... I guess I still need to see a cardiologist though to rule stuff out...

Last edited by moesciphish; 04-20-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
(male)

moesciphish HB User

I forgot to mention.. since quitting smoking..(day 3, HELL) my pulse seems alot harder to detect in my neck? I can still feel it.. it's just not as strong I guess... is this a good thing or bad thing? It would seem to me that it would be a good thing, ie my arteries being less stiff...

btw... here's another profound question.... I'm right handed... my right arm is definitely stronger than my left.. when I do anything that brings my heart rate up... I can see the veins in my left arm are much more prominent... where I can barely see or not at all, veins in the same place on my right arm....

Last edited by moesciphish; 04-22-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Closed Thread