It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
(male)

jj9500 HB User
Mom - 3 stents put in - what's to do?

Hi -
After my mother was having mild chest pressure after some certain physical activity, her doc sent her for a stress test (note: last year she was diagnosed with an aorta anyorisum (sp) and some hardening of the arteries in her legs and back). Things didn't look right in her stress test results. With her background and failed stress test the doc ordered an angiogram. They did this Monday and put in three stents. One artery was 99% blocked, another 80% and another 30%. They said if the 30% was 50% or higher they would have done open heart/bypass surgery. There was no heart damage. Thank the Lord they caught it in time. They have her on paxil, baby asprin, soemthing for cholesterol and some other med to help her arteries. She is now home after an overnight stay in the hospital and doing fine. Nitro pills just in case she needs them.

From anyone who has gone through this -what are some things my mom can do to reduce her risk of having these arteries clog up again? She always did eat a pretty health diet, but did smoke for 30 years. Her father had hardening of the arteries. Are there certain foods that are good for healthy arteries - certain that are bad. What about exercise after stents?
How safe are these stents they put in? Do they last a long time and do the trick with healthy diet and lifestyle changes. Want mom to be around for a long time. She is 68. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Mom - 3 stents put in - what's to do?

jj,

Noobody really knows how long stents, especially the medicated stents will be effective because they are very new. Since they are stainless steel they will last long after the worms have reduced us to dust but to keep them clean and shiny we need to keep them free of clots and plaque.

I strongly recommend she keeps her LDL below 70...I know, it's hard; if there is little fat circulating there will be little fat to lan down on the stents.
For me it takes a combo of Lipitor 20 mg., slow release niacin 500 mg., fish oil <a gram of EPA+DHA>, lecithin <maybe> and a relatively lowish fat diet...almost no butter, no cream, fat-free half and half and yoghurts, limited cheeses, no bacon, less meat, no steaks or burghers, as much fish as I can afford, AND HARD aerobic exercise several times a week.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-12-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

OK it is really possible to get the LDL below 70? My doc wants it below 100 (mine is 131) Mu HDL is good though, 57.
I am on 10/40 vytorin and he is threatening to go to 10/80 where I don't want to go because of the constipation it causes. I can't even imagine doubling the dose!
Will the fish oil help? How much? What brand and dose do you recommend? I do walk 1 1/2 miles per day, I'm trying.
So if I don't get these numbers down I will likely clog up again? My TC is generally under 200 sometimes as low as 183.
I too don't eat red meat, only white chicken and fish. Lots of tuna. Skim milk and liquid margarine in small amounts. Sometimes low fat ice cream. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain bread.
Lenin can I ask if you have had heart surgery? I have forgotten if you have already said.

Last edited by Cher2005; 05-12-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Cher,

I know it's possible because I've achieved it...and I pray I can stay there. I had 10 years of angina and one stent to open my clogged RCA...no open heart work.

I was getting readings in the 70's, and 80's and my GP said go for the 60's by either adding ezetimibe or doubling my Lipitor. I took my Lipitor from 10 to 20mg and got an LDL of 69 last time.
Now here's a real "knock on wood": I'd get 2 minute episodes of angina maybe a couple times a month running for a train even after the stent that would have me white with worry. With the lower LDL's and the hard half hours on the elliptical walker to over a cardiac workout BPM rate of near maximum, these mini-attacks have slowly tapered off to NEVER (I know, never say never.)

IMHO, the extraordinarily tight LDL control works to eliminate plaque and is worth doing for anyone who has confirmed blockages of any reasonable size...certainly any stents qualify in that group. For any "normal" person without angina or any confirmed blockages in the 30-50% range or higher, there's no need for such tight control and 100 LDL is probably just fine. Even for heart patients a 100 probaly would maintain stats-quo, but for plaque reduction I think lower is necessary. Of course, those with a higher HDL or a low Lp(a) need to strive less hard than somone with the reverse.

Two years ago I'd have said there was NO chance of my ever getting an LDL below 70; happily I proved myself wrong <knocking wood frantically.>

Fish oil: buy the cheapest you can find thqat will get you a total of a gram of DHA + EPA every day...that's about a teaspoonful (5 grams) of cod liver oil.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-13-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks Lenin, So you recommend liquid cod liver oil over the omega 3 fish oil capsules? Would either be OK or is the first better?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
(male)

pertrish HB User

Hi, I'm a first time user. I have just had an angiogram two days ago. There are no blockages in my arteries however there is narrowing of one of the main arteries in the heart. The Doctor has said that there is no operation that can help so he has prescribed Lipitor etc etc., but I don't like that idea. I am therefore looking into alternative treatments. This is my opinion and observations from my own experience and people have to make up their own minds. My mum who is 79 and lives in Denmark, had a lot of pain in the arteries on either side of her neck. The doctors told her they couldn't operate as she would either die or have brain damage. She decided to try chelation therapy and has had 30 treatments (she had nothing to lose). The pain has now gone and she is feeling much better. When I speak to her on the phone I can hear in her voice that she is more alert and sounds a lot better. I believe that I will also try chelation therapy or similar treatment, eg, Angioprim. If cholesterol is so bad why does the body make it?

Bye for now.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

pertrish,

It's probably semantical but what you have is probably a blockage that is not a complete blockage (which is usually a heart attack.) It's usually expressed as a percent narrowing of the lumen (hole) through which blood passes...like 40% blocked or 80% blocked.

Angioprim is throwing your money away on 3 amino acids that are readily available in food. The claims that any of these is an effective arterial chelator are an umproven bunch of hooey designed to separate you from your money. People like this who prey on people with heart disease should be jailed IMHO.

Intravenous chelation with an EDTA drip is another thing. Though it is unproven and unapproved by the FDA, it may have merit. I have a stroong chemical background and I know that EDTA is an almost unbelievably potent metal chelator...but then is calcium removal sufficient to reverse plaque blockages????
It's expensive and never covered by insurance and is EXTREMELY inconvenient. But as a last ditch effort, if I couldn't take statins and was unable to eat a 10% fat diet, I'd try intravenous drip EDTA therapy even though I'd be more than half convinced I was throwing away a large pile of money.
BUT any claims for oral chelators are hogwash!

ARIZONA's father did a couple courses of chelation IV-drip therapy sessions so he'll be able to weigh in on the subject with personal experience.

How severe is that "narrowing"...did he say which artery?

CHER,
Either fish oil or Omega-3 oils. Take whichever is the cheaper and easier way to get the gram of EPA+DHA. Some people despise the taste of the oils and want capsules; others cant bear to take the horse pills and like the liquid...I do either, whichever is the cheaper at the moment.
It's hard to beat the price of the TWINLAB cod liver oil at Vitmain Shoppe. About $.09/day for a teaspoonful but once in a while Target had twofers on the big bottle of capsules (4 a day of the 1200 mg. size) and that's also about a dime a day.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-14-2006 at 07:08 AM.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Hi Lenin I bought the Omega 3 capsukes yesterday. A combination actually of omega 3, 6 and 9. The nutritionist recommended them because they are good for the eyes also. I take them 3 times daily. They are by GNC and called Multi Oil. Hope these are OK with high cholestorol. It seems stupid to take in more oil when it casuses the high cholestorol. But I will try and it's a different type of oil I know.,
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
(male)

pertrish HB User

Lenin....
The narrowing is in the left main artery in the heart, but no blockages. Regarding chelation therapy, my mum do not throw money away and she went and visited people who have had chelation. One man was to have his leg amputatet, due to bad circulation didn't need it, the colour came back. I have searched and haven't found one person dissatisfied. I spoke to a GP who do chelation, and he told me that chelation removes calsium and metals but not cholesterol, but it softens the arteries for better bloodflow. I've read a lot of bad stuff about statins. A family member on statins, still had to have triple bypass, does not sound good to me.

Closed Thread