It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User
Occassional Heart Flutters a concern?

Hello

ive had on and off flutters for a few years now. I recently had this pinching feeling in chest after a bad case of heartburn (narrowed it down to gas) i went to ER while i was having "pinching" feelings a week ago and they did a EKG and chest xray all came back normal.

I was told by many caffeine is a big cause of flutters. i quit all caffeine 4 days ago and i still once in a while get a flutter. about 4 a day.

When i was drinking coffee/soda i had A LOT more mainly at night when laying down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Occassional Heart Flutters a concern?

Hi! I also get occasional flutters and the only caffeine I take in is from a couple of small pieces of chocolate a day. I can't live without it There are many causes of flutters. It could be your diet. Are you eating a balanced diet and drinking plenty of water? I started eating healthier last Fall and begin exercising and it has dramatically reduced my flutters. Also, are you under any stress? That can also be a factor.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your flutters happen more frequently and you develop other symptoms. At that point I would call the doctor and ask for further testing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

Well i never used to be one for water i drank all caffeine! but for the past couple days ive drank nothing but water and last night i dont think i had any flutters .one this morning and that was it! the whole time i was laying down for bed i was getting scared thinking i was gonna have one (which i cant believe being scared didnt bring them on!) So i guess this is what i get for never drinking water. i remember when i would drink soda and especially coffee i would lay in bed and it would constantly flutter 1 every few minutes at least. so im blaming all the flutters on my over the limit caffeine. its been a whole week since ive had any soda or coffee and im doubling up on water now! Thanks so much for your reply

Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

I wouldn't worry too much right now. If they get more intense or more often, you can have it checked. I was having over 200 a day and it turned out, after a stress test with an echo, that it wasn't a big deal. Mine was from stress. We pinpointed when it started and it was a very bad time at my job. So, just keep doing what your doing, drink water. I was told these factors will cause them. In not particular order.
Smoking
Caffeine
Stress
Not enough excesise and/or overweight
Drinking

Hope this helps.

Last edited by texas1107; 05-30-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

ok thanks alot for your reply. i was reading elsewhere that cardiomyopathy can cause the heart to harden. my aunt dies from this. which also means an enlarged heart right?

Well when i had funny feelings i went to ER they did EKG and chest xray. if i had this problem the ekg and xray would of picked that up right?

I quit all caffeine a week ago. now i only get a couple flutters a night i didnt have any lastnight but one this morning and that was it. im drinking lots of water and walking more

Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
(female)

mrs anxious HB User

i would like to also say that i got diagnosed with these flutters a few months ago after having a 24 hour tape, im still getting them some days worse then others, i am an anxious person and have suffered from anxiety, and had a few other things wrong also, but these flutters i think are the worst im waiting for another appt to see my cardiologist as i still think that it must be something underlying causing them, do you others feel like this also deep down?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
(male)

tompbz HB User

i sure do... the doctor's say that there's nothing wrong but you feel it all the time.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

Well i havent had any for the past 2 days. im wondering if the caffeine was causing all the problems

Old 06-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
(female)

mrs anxious HB User

Hi, i seem to have had a few days with none at all and i was like great they must have gone, then the next day i had them allday and when they come on again just like that it makes me think, omg is something else likely to happen here, then the last few days i have had them just now and then so i do try to ignore them, i have had ecg's done by a cardiologist and was told nothing to worrry about but i have not even excercised in over 5 months as im to scared in case i just have a heart attack or something and it is really getting me down, im 34 years of age and feel like 60 at the moment, i know that it sounds stupid but when you are talking about your heart it is a worry, i want to see my kids grow up. I have been back to my gp and asked to go back to the cardiologist for a stress test or echo just to confirm my fears, but like you all i guess you have to try and get used to it, very hard when you are trying to live every day with it, i did stop caffeine, coke etc, and i found that it made no difference, but then maybe i didnt try myself long enough as after 2 weeks i was back on the coffee, which i love. I just hope that i dont have anything major am i the only one that feels like this? or do you all kind of get this as well, i have had lots of things to worry about recently but they had just come on after a very bad virus that i had in january.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

Mrs Anxious

I did notice when i drank coffee i got them bad! especially at night time. I dont think you gave yourself long enough without caffeine to see a difference. someone told me drinking caffeine for a long amount of time would have after effects for awhile. i still had them for a few days after drinking soda/coffee but for the last 4 days i havent had any flutters. i know that coffee was a major problem for me because i got them more. ive been almost 2 weeks without the cofee/soda. if you wanna drink coffee why not try decaf? if you dont like decaf you can buy the 1/2 caff. I know that decaf still has caffeine in it. i was looking in the store last night and it said 99.7 caffeine free. The half caffeine kind may be the right amount of caffeine to diminish the flutters for you and you would still have the "coffee" taste. i know how you feel about being scared. But there really is a lot of things that cause them besides something bad. Smoking does too. i dont know if you smoke or not but i read thats another cause. tiredness as well

Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
(female)

mrs anxious HB User

Thanks Worried,

your replies mean alot when it is your heart involved if you know what i mean, im now off the caffiene and also stopped pepsi and coke as i was drinking laot of that not had any flutters at all today i will keep you posted, this site healps alot with things dont you think?

Closed Thread