It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

riley5 HB User
inverted p wave

I've been told I have an inverted p wave, which indicates an extra natural pacemaker in my heart. Does anyone know what kind of symptoms this can cause?

I know it can cause a racing heart, which I experience from time to time. Lately I've been having other symptoms, and I don't know if they could be caused by this heart condition. The symptoms include lightheadedness or feeling of a heavy head, low blood pressure (dropping down to 70s/30s at times), low blood sugars (down to 50s), high cortisol and insomnia.

Thanks for any ideas that you can share!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
(female)

flutterby61 HB User
Exclamation Re: inverted p wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley5
I've been told I have an inverted p wave, which indicates an extra natural pacemaker in my heart. Does anyone know what kind of symptoms this can cause?

I know it can cause a racing heart, which I experience from time to time. Lately I've been having other symptoms, and I don't know if they could be caused by this heart condition. The symptoms include lightheadedness or feeling of a heavy head, low blood pressure (dropping down to 70s/30s at times), low blood sugars (down to 50s), high cortisol and insomnia.

Thanks for any ideas that you can share!
I am brand new here, but I had to find something or someplace to check into because I feel my symptoms are getting worse. I have not been diagnosed with inverted p wave, but my last visit to the cardiologist was about like all the others.....take this, see if it helps and come back in a year unless you need to be seen before then. The doctor mentioned that we could possible do an invasive proceedure to find out where my "signals" are misfiring. I do not have problems all the time, but when I do have them(and they are frequent) I experience, breathlessness, lightheadedness, irregular beating all at the same time. Sometimes afterwards, there's pressure in my head. It is like the flow is disrupted enough to notice. I feel it is hormonal imbalance somedays and somedays I really am not bothered. Can anyone relate to this at all? I have worn holter monitors and have had thousands of pvc's in 24 hours..... I am just 45 years old. I do not get alot of exercise as I am uncomfortable with the excertion's effect on my heart rate and rythym. I would love to find someone to help me get the right treatment. I have tried acupuncture and chiropractic. Herbs sometimes seem to help, and I have tried to keep up my mineral intake. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions....I would be so thankful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: inverted p wave

Quote:
It is true an inverted "P" wave is another location or locations competing for control of the rhythm resulting in P waves of differing shapes and /or differing intervals. This would be true for all leads. There is a range of disorders associated with P waves of DIFFERENT shapes (inverted orientation) and/or representation at DIFFERENT intervals. For instance if 3 or more different wave shapes are seen, that often is seen with a chronic lung disorder and right atrial enlargement (source of electric impulses, and right side of the heart is closely associated with the pumonary function).

Inverted P waves occuring at different times tends to be the irregular and/or fast heartbeat variety. EKG tracings should not be the sole determinent for a diagnosis.

Last edited by started04; 06-07-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

flutterby61 HB User

[QUOTE=kenkeith]It is true an inverted "P" wave is another location or locations competing for control of the rhythm resulting in P waves of differing shapes and /or differing intervals. This would be true for all leads. There is a range of disorders associated with P waves of DIFFERENT shapes (inverted orientation) and/or representation at DIFFERENT intervals. For instance if 3 or more different wave shapes are seen, that often is seen with a chronic lung disorder and right atrial enlargement (source of electric impulses, and right side of the heart is closely associated with the pumonary function).

Inverted P waves occuring at different times tends to be the irregular and/or fast heartbeat variety. EKG tracings should not be the sole determinent for a diagnosis.[/QUOTE

Is there a treatment for this type of diagnosis? What other tests would be best to detemine the diagnosis?
Thank you.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

The medication for many A-fib disorders are beta blockers to reduce and maintain a slower heartbeat. That maybe contra-indicated if your experienciing a slow HR. Apparently, there are other health issues that may not be heart related. I can't think of any syndrome that is probable!?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

riley5 HB User

Kenkeith, thanks for your responses.

I think we have two discussions going on here because flutterby's condition sounds different than what I originally posted about, but I wanted to thank you for your post explaining shapes and intervals. No one has ever explained that to me before. I'm seeing my cardiologist this week, and I'll ask him if my EKG tracings tell him anything more than what I already know about the extra pacemaker.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any other ideas for me, please let me know. I'm keeping a list of questions for my cardiologist when I see him on Thursday, and I'd be happy to add any other suggestions to my list. Thank you!

Closed Thread