It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
(male)

Ken289 HB User
No PVCs During Exercise---Why??

I mentioned this in another thread but thought one with its own subject might catch peoples' attention and create a little discussion.

I have pretty constant PVCs with the usual tests showing no heart problems and with the usual admonition to "not worry about it". (I am 5 weeks post angioplasty/stent, but was not previously bothered.)

I have not detected any particular time of day when these things are absent, and they seem more prevalent after my evening meal. But I do notice that they are completely absent during exercise (treadmill with pulse monitor). From a resting rate of 72 bpm with numerous PVCs/minute, I get up to 100 bpm or beyond and do not notice anything (I stop the treadmill and take the pulse). Cool down, and things are regular (no PVCs) until I am back down to resting rate.

Why is that??? Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Thanks for any comments.

Ken

Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

seaecho HB User
Re: No PVCs During Exercise---Why??

Same here - I can have many hours of PVCs on a daily basis, but rarely get any during exercise. I'm like you - mine are usually the worst after my evening meal, and just when I'm trying to relax. I noticed that if I get very tired during the day, the PVCs are usually worse that night. But for some reason, exercise usually straightens out my PVCs - at least temporarily.

Randi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
(male)

Ken289 HB User

Another perplexing thing for me is that sometimes I have long periods of NO PVCs. The "sometimes" are somewhat rare, and I initially thought---they have gone away--but have learned not to think like that. Still, whatever is happening in the complex cardiac cycle that avoids them (like during exercise) is there at other times. The bummer is that it is not controllable.

I continue to search the web and am delving into the chemistry and electrical aspects...the ****pedia entry on PVCs is an excellent, simplified explanation, along with a list of possible causes and possible "things that might help", and there are a number of links which lead to other interesting and informative entries. Some folks might be interested in checking it out.

[url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/Premature_ventricular_contraction[/url]

Thats a hoot....what forum rule has the wi ki replaced with asterisks?

How about w-i-k-i-p-e-d-i-a... anyway, interested parties should be able to figure out the URL from what is above, else do a google search.

Also how come the url does not render as a clickable link?

Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

scaredofskips HB User

My doc says that the PVC's are far more likely to happen when your heart rate is slowing down. Something about the electrical rhythm allowing it when it beats slowly -- when beating fast it overrides it the hearts ability to skip.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

seaecho HB User

My cardiologist told me the same thing - PVCs are much more likely when the heart is going at a slower rate. The fact that PVCs are not controllable, as you stated, Ken, seems to be a major anxiety factor with me. When I don't feel in control, I feel helpless. This limits my life to an incredible amount. Over my life, my PVCs have often gone away completely for years at a time. Once, seven years went by. Other times, it was 2-3 years on average. Now, for the last two years, they have been with me almost constantly. So the older I get, the worse it seems to be getting. What a mystery this is, and what a nightmare.

Randi

Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
(male)

Ken289 HB User

Hi randi and scaredofskips: isn't it further ironic that if your docs say that PVCs are more prevalent when the heart is going slower, and then they prescribe beta blockers to help---which has the effect of making the heart go slower!!?? What is wrong with that logic? Obviously more than one mechanism of action underway.

I have tried the "lots of water" idea, based on messages on this board. I "guess" I can report some improvement, even thou the things are still there. The electrical discharge process that occurs is one of various chemical flows (potassium this way, calcium that way, sodium dancing in the wings) and all of that might (might) be affected by the water content of one's blood or just if the heart muscle cells are more hydrated rather than less, then the electrical/chemical activity might be affected.

I like to try and understand (a way of gaining back some control) plus perhaps suggestive of mechanisms.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Kimah5202 HB User

this is why beta blockers make me have more pvc;s, because it slows my heart down. supposedly pvc's during excercise ARE linked to higher incidence of cardiac death but resting pvc;s are completely benign. thank god i dont get them during exercise.
kim

Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
(male)

tomh HB User

When I exercise, my heart rate monitor does not seem to pick up the PVC's. Yet on occasion, when I take my pulse manually, the short beat doesn't register in my wrist. So do I have PVC's consistently when exercising? Who knows! My cardiologist isn't concerned.

My PVC's tend to get worse with a big meal and with stress. Exercise is a double benefit, because it relieves stress physically and psychologically (distraction).

Closed Thread