It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Arrhythmias...hormone related???

I have been having arrhythmias for a couple of years (I actually started noticing them when I first became ill with Hashimoto's thyroiditis). They became progressively worse (meaning I was noticing them more frequently) last October. I had a holter monitor test and found that I have PACs.

The symptoms I get along with them are: tingly fingers/toes, light-headedness and SOB (I also get a tightness/pressure/pulling sensation in my chest).

Anyway, I went on birth control in December due to a variety of female health issues (recurrent miscarriages, ruptured ovarian cysts, uterine hemmorhages and constant bleeding/spotting for over a year). Oddly, my PACs either stopped or became unnoticeable.

I was on the patch (ortho-evra) and the only time I noticed them was during my week off.

Well, I went off the BC entirely this month (it's been over two weeks) and I'm having PACs worse than ever. This sounds really funny but when I get them I have the same symptoms as before but in addition I feel like I have a lot of pressure in my head (I wish I could describe it better ). It's like someone is squeezing it (it's the same pressure feeling I get in my chest only it's in my head too now).

Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? I'm so used to going to the dr and having them brush me off that I hesitate to call (took them two years to diagnose my thyroid condition and I had to request the testing for it).

I'm taking a cal/mag supplement (and I have been consistantly since last October). I know that skipping meals and not getting enough sleep induces them but that's not an issue for me.

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Arrhythmias...hormone related???

Kelly,

All I can say is that there is a VERY close correlation between rhythm disturbances and hormones so none of what you report surprises me.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Thank you for the reply Lenin! I've been searching for information how it's all connected but I'm not coming up with much. I have read that those with estrogen deficiencies (perimenopause, menopause, premature ovarian failure etc...) have a higher occurance of arrhythmias but it doesn't explain why.

I'm only 29 so it's doubtful that low estrogen is an issue but I guess it's hard to say (I've never had my female hormones tested...hoping to early next year though).

I did take my BP and my systolic was lower than average for me: 92/68; normal for me is 104-110/60. I know that's not a significant drop but I sure felt weird last night when I took it; very loopy and tingly. The PACs were every third beat (I have a stethoscope). As long as I held still and laid on my back they'd subside but as soon as I rolled over or moved they'd pick back up again (based on symptoms I mean...I only listened with the stethoscope for about 5mins).

I don't normally listen to my heart or take my BP but I just felt so odd. Even this morning I feel a little off. Not like anything is seriously wrong but different.

Thanks again!

Kelly

Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I am on a beta blocker which helps with my PVCs. And I also take an anxiety med which I think also helps. But around my period is when the PVCs are BIG TIME!! It is like clockwork. So, oh heck yes I think it is related!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

eyecandy100 HB User

I think they hormones may be related i have read up alot about women who get them worse around the time of the month and also just before and during menopause.

Since becoming pregnant i have been feeling over 50+ PVC's a day and we all know what hormones are like in pregnant women!

There must be some kind of connection??

Old 06-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Definitely a link, I had many more PVC's when on BC. I didn't notice the connection till I stopped BC and they suddenly almost completely disappeared.

Closed Thread