It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
(female)

sporti HB User
Amlodipine (norvasq) or Atorvastatin (lipitor) causing this problem?

Ive been taking these drugs for a few weeks now for reversible ischemia and im gettng muscular cramps in my calves at night and also it feels like a hundred red hot knives are stabbing my feet. Anyone had this? It has got to be from one of the pills but i dont know which? Seeing GP tomorrow but hope someone may have had these side effects. The amlodipine has certainly brought my blood pressure down and i am no longer breathless or get chest discomfort when i walk so im hoping it isnt this drug. Thanks..oh i should point out that i have no swelling and my feet arent red and inflammed.

Last edited by sporti; 06-18-2006 at 03:38 AM.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Amlodipine (norvasq) or Atorvastatin (lipitor) causing this problem?

Just a stab:
Perhaps you have some ischemic compromise in your leg circulation that has not caused problems before but NOW that the calcium channel blocker has eased the workload on your heart and and lowered your BP that leg ischemia might be worsened to the point of pain.

I checked on a side-effects forum and leg, calf and foot pain from amlodipine is not at all uncoommon.

Sporti,
What I'd do if I were you is to stop the amlodipine for 2 weeks and note whether your legs feel better. If they do, then look to another drug, even another channel blocker like verapamil or nifedipine (both cheaper than Norvasc. )
Make sure to take your daily aspirin and don't over exert yourself during this "test period." Maybe tell your doctor what you are doing...or not as you choose.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-18-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

Your pain sounds very similar to what I experienced on lipitor (10mg) - legs cramped, constant burning pain in my calves. Stopping the lipitor got rid of that. I had a similar reaction on zocor. Now, I've been on crestor (10mg) for about 6 weeks, and so far it seems to agree with me much better. Actually my own family physician switched to crestor after leg pains on lipitor, and he has not had them since (over a year on crestor for him).

You might ask your doctor about trying another statin - people respond very differently to different statins, so, as in my case, some trial and error experimentation might be required to find one (and a dose) you can live with.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

sporti HB User

Thanks very much for your replies. I went to my GP this morning and she spoke to my cardiologist. I have been taken off the Lipitor whilst they wait for the result of a blood test the GP took which shows any muscle problems that this drug can cause. If the blood test is negative then it isnt the Lipitor it will be the amlodipine causing the problems. Im quite happy with that and i will wait for the results.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporti
Thanks very much for your replies. I went to my GP this morning and she spoke to my cardiologist. I have been taken off the Lipitor whilst they wait for the result of a blood test the GP took which shows any muscle problems that this drug can cause. If the blood test is negative then it isnt the Lipitor it will be the amlodipine causing the problems. Im quite happy with that and i will wait for the results.
Actually, likely no. Most people who report muscle pain or cramps from statins never show any liver enzyme abnormalities, nor elevated CK enzymes (elevated CK is a sign of the muscle waisting condition rhabdomyolosis, but true rhabdomyolosis is very rare with statins). I never had anything but completely normal blood workups when I had leg pain while on lipitor and zocor. The pain was real enough, that I know, and it only cleared up once I stopped taking the offending statin.

Knock wood, but it has also not returned for me since I began taking crestor, so hopefully I've found a statin I can live with (I also take 2x100mg CoQ10 capsules per day, but that did not stop the pain with lipitor or zocor, so I'm not convinced it really does anything).

Old 06-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #6
(female)

sporti HB User

Very interesting fathersson. Interestingly enough my blood test is normal so i have been told to resume Lipitor but somehow i think im not going to. I believe the CK enzyme you mention was discussed. I want to be off it for two weeks to see what happens to cramps etc. What are CoQ capsules? Did you ever have foot pain? I wish doctors would just LISTEN to their patients as everyone reacts differently and what im experiencing surely should be taken into consideration before telling me to restart the darn stuff! Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporti
Very interesting fathersson. Interestingly enough my blood test is normal so i have been told to resume Lipitor but somehow i think im not going to. I believe the CK enzyme you mention was discussed. I want to be off it for two weeks to see what happens to cramps etc. What are CoQ capsules? Did you ever have foot pain? I wish doctors would just LISTEN to their patients as everyone reacts differently and what im experiencing surely should be taken into consideration before telling me to restart the darn stuff! Thanks for your reply.
CoQ10, also known as ubiquinone, is an enzyme cofactor, mainly involved in energy metabolism in cells. Many people feel it is the root of the muscle pain and weakness some people experience with statin therapy. There are clear data that show that statins do reduce blood plasma levels of Co Q10, but it's not at all clear if that translates into reduced tissue and cellular levels, nor that low CoQ10 is the de facto cause of the muscle pain and weakness.

However, a lot of people report that the pain and muscle problems either go away with CoQ10 supplements, or at least ease off quite a bit. Also, there really seem little side effects with supplementation, unless you go for massive doses, which I gather can make you restless and a bit hyper.

CoQ10 supplements are available in most drug or health food stores, in the vitamin and supplements section. They do tend to be a bit pricey (around my town, between $0.80 to $1.65 per 100mg capsule, depending on brand). CoQ10 is fat soluble, so you should take it with meals or a low-fat snack to enhance absorption.

Just do a google search for CoQ10 or ubiquinone and statins and you'll get a ton of hits (and a lot of hype, so read critically - like any supplement, some sites will try and convince you that CoQ10 can solve any and every illness you have, or may ever have). It is often used for heart failure patients to increase heart function, so it has some clear cut benefits and uses.

And like I've been doing, you may need to just convince your doctor to work with you to try alternate statins to find one you can take. I got muscle pain with just 10mg of lipitor, not until 40mg on zocor. But, so far, 10mg of crestor seems to be okay, although I don't yet know what my lipid numbers are on it (will find out next month after 8 weeks on it).

Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
(female)

sporti HB User

Just to update the Lipitor WAS giving me the muscle cramps especially in my calves and back ache so i am now off that completely. The amlodipine for some reason was giving me crippling foot pain which did not start till i had been on this drug for a while. I have now to take 2.5 felodipine (Plendil) increasing to 5 mg and i also have another statin which im not starting till i get this bp med sorted. When i do start the statin i am going to take half the dose every other day and thats it. The Lipitor was making me feel like i was losing my mind. Thanks fathersson for your reply. The new statin is pravastatin but as i say i shall use it very cautiously once my bp is sorted.

Last edited by sporti; 06-28-2006 at 02:25 AM.

Closed Thread