It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User
nuclear stress test

hi, i am scheduled for one in 2 weeks. my cardo. sd it takes 3 hrs, why does it take so long? only thing im worried about is the dye they inject in u, isnt that bad for u ?

Old 06-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
(male)

Toneman HB User
Re: nuclear stress test

RC,

I've had two nuclear stress test and they're not bad at all. The reason it will take 3 hours is that they will take pictures of your heart both after the stress test and again at rest, after a couple of hours. They then compare the amount of tracer uptake to your heart muscle at stress and at rest to find areas that may not be getting enough blood when your heart is stressed due to possible blockages or areas that are not getting any uptake at rest or when stressed due to damaged muscle.

About the dye, most tests are done with a nuclear tracer called Thallium, Myoview or Cardiolite. I read on line that the dose is the equivilent of 40 chest xrays and not at all dangerous.

Good Luck,

Tony

Last edited by Toneman; 06-18-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

My cardio ordered the "Persantin thallium Test" for me? Does it same as the nuclear stress test? Is anyone allergic to this dye? I allergic to the CT Scan dye so would this test ok for me or not?

rc1975, could you try to remember all the procedures and come back post it here? I'm very scare and I would like to prepare. Could you count altogether how many needles are they poking on you? Let us know how you go with this test? What is the worse part?

Thanks

Pika

Old 06-19-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

When I had my nuclear stress test, it was two injections (actually, they put an IV in tha back of my left hand to use throughout the test).

Once the IV was in, there is an injection of a radioactive tracer (most common I think are Technetium Tc99m Sestamibi = tradenames Cardiolite or Myoview, or Thallium-201) - this is a mild gamma emmittor (total radiation dose of the test should be in the same ballpark range as a chest X-Ray). You go off and sit for a bit, to allow the tracer to circulate and accumulate in the heart muscle cells. Then you have pictures taken, which entails lying on a table with a rotating gamma scintillation camera moving around you.

After the resting pictures, you usually wait awhile to let the tracer flush out of your system, then it's on to the treadmill, with ECG leads in place to monitor you. Mine was 13 or 15 minutes (can't remember exactly) and 1 minute before the end, they inject another round of radioactive tracer. You have a bit of a wait, again to let the tracer circulate and deposit in the muscle cells. There is now another round of pictures to get blood delivery to the stressed heart muscle, and that is it.

This site has a good description:
http://www.heartsite.com/html/isotope_stress.html

Different centers may have some differences in the procedure, but it's generally as I describe. Most of the time will be spent waiting for the tracer to circulate, and lying on the camera table (each series of pictures during my test took about 25 minutes for the camera to rotate it's full 180 degrees - actually two camera's opposite eachother on a rotating arm).

Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

2 questions how do u know if someone is allergice to this dye? and is this test safe?

Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

I have no idea about allergic reactions to the dye - why not call the center that will be doing your test, or your doctor? Is it safe? - it's considered as safe as a regular stress test. You will be hooked up to an ECG during the "stress" part, with either a cardiologist or a cardiac nurse (plus either a stress test tech and/or a radioisotope tech) present, and the testing facility should have all the necessary emergency equipment if there is a problem (mine was done at my hospitals heart center, so everything up to and including emergency TCV surgery was readily available).

There are likely hundreds, if not thousands of these tests performed every week in the US and Canada, so don't worry. Even the radiation exposure is very small, about the same as a chest X-Ray.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I'm having a nuclear stress test next week. The technician where I'm going (private) told me that in the 7 years he's been there, no one has gotten sick. I've had dye before for a liver scan, but I don't know if it's the same one they're going to use. I don't know how someone would know if they're allergic or not.
Fathersson - you were on the treadmill for 13 or so minutes? I really don't think I can last that long. I wish my test was over.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

The test was a maximum of 13 (or 15) minutes. While I did last the whole time (I hit 15 METs, which surprised me at the time, as it was only about 3 months after my heart attack), you can stop whenever you need/want to - they just want you to go as far as you can with it. They did warn me to let them know if I didn't think I could make the full time though, since they need to inject the tracer and then have you continue for a minute so it circulates at the hearts max stress levels.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Thanks - For sure, I'll let them know if I can't make it the full time. Maybe each place has different times for the treadmill, I don't know, but I'll soon find out!!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Good info - thanks. I will google the bruce protocol.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
(male)

ljwhorfin HB User

I had my nuclear stress test yesterday. It was really quite un-fun, having to wait a lot and sit still a lot. My process went like this:

dye injection, wait 20 minutes
xray machine - sit completely still for 18 minutes
treadmill - 15 minutes
(i'm a runner -- i could of been on this thing all day long.. so around 13
minutes i was at 160 BMP and they injected me again and called it good)
xray machine - sit still completely for 15 minutes
1/2 hour wait for doctor...

anyway -- my results (i had a mild heart attack 6 weeks ago) showed just a slight break in the "donut" you are supposed see -- the 3d rotatable view o my pumping heart was cool -- all of my heart was pumping so little scar damage occured. my cardiologist did not see anything that he didn't expect. My EF was 45.

So my only issue now is my recurring PVC's. during the day yesterday i was off coreg, a beta blocker and all day i was having lots of single PVC's and some runs. I'm sure the anxiety of the stress test/doctors office added to them. As soon as i was out of the doctors office and took my beta blocker they were gone. I'm back to my normal excercise routine, running and biking 5-6 times a week 1/2 to 1 hour. FYI i'm 41 male, had 1 stent placed in, all the rest of my arteries from the agiogram looked great. Hardly any plague build up at all.

Last edited by ljwhorfin; 06-20-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

My pacemaker is programmed to 70 bpm. I saw in the ER, when it went up to 90 then the strong beats kicked it back to 70. When I go on treadmill, would they start a war in my heart? Then my chest will become a battle field? How I survise under that stress + stress? Would that test going to damage my heart? I'm curious!

Pika

Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
(male)

vooda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwhorfin

My EF was 45.
Was the 45 figured by the total of the stress test, rest as well as running or a seperate echo type. I'm 44 and had my HT. attack 5 years ago.
I'm confuced as hell lately by my new Dr. after moving. My past Dr's believed the Nuclear stress test was the most accurate test for measuring EF as well as heart demage, this guy only does echo's. The first one I had done was 20 with the echo then 39 with the Stress test, the second time 30 with the echo and 53 with the stress test, now this guy wants me to jump thru hoops because he thinks 30 is to low but doesn't want to do the whole stress test think.

Have you had just an Echo done and was it higher or lower then the stress test?? I'ld appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by vooda; 06-21-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
(male)

ljwhorfin HB User

The 45 was figured from the overal rest and running. I had an echo done a few weeks ago but i was never told what my EF was from that -- i should of asked. All my cardiologist said about my echo was that it looked very good.

if i even find out what my EF on my echo was i will post here.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
(male)

vooda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwhorfin
The 45 was figured from the overal rest and running. I had an echo done a few weeks ago but i was never told what my EF was from that -- i should of asked. All my cardiologist said about my echo was that it looked very good.

if i even find out what my EF on my echo was i will post here.
That's good news to here for me because thats what my past Dr's did say. A total of work and rest was taken into consideration, the one Dr even said well you don't live lying on a table on your side do you. I was told that my heart at work was near normal (53)but a little week at rest(39), this was with the Nuclear S Test. I am active so they didn't seem concerned. I am actually afraid to go back to these guys now, I mean not wanting to take all into consideration and talking Dick Cheney PM and changing all my Meds.
I think it's time to change Dr's.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by vooda; 06-21-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Closed Thread