It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Mild chest discomfort...stress?

Been experiencing some mild chest discomfort on and off (not everyday) for about a month or so. I also get an ache in my left ribs and some heart palps. I also have TMJ which gives me headaches, neck aches, arm aches, etc.
Arthritis and fibromyalgia is big in my family as well.

I am 22 and have been through a lot stress wise this year. I bought my first house a year ago in April. I had a root canal which resulted in the dentist injuring my jaw leaving me with TMJ which was just diagnosed in February and it is a long road to find pain control that works for me. I am also getting married this Saturday!!!

So I am just wondering if all this tightness etc. is due to stress? I know that all the muscles can get very tight in that area from anxiety etc. My doctor doesnt seem to worried. I went for a chest x-ray and pulmonary function test because I was (and still sometimes do) have breating problems (I also have asthma) and both tests came back clear. She thinks I have been through a lot this year and need a break.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Mild chest discomfort...stress?

Hi,

Yes, stress can be the factor for your symptoms, and the excess stress may be unmasking an underlying heart problem (unlikely at your age!). But if stress is sustained over a period of time, it can result in a heart problem or other medical problems depending on one's general health, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Re: Mild chest discomfort...stress?

Thanks for the reply.

I was fine up until a month ago or so. My doctor gave me some Tylenol with codeine as a temporary pain control just to help me get through my wedding day on Saturday and enjoy our 2 week honeymoon in Maui. My TMJ gives me terrible headaches, jaw aches, ear aches, etc.

I have been doing some research and it is more common for people with TMJ to have fibromyalgia (and vice versa) which can cause chest discomfort, heart palps, etc. especially if costochondritis (inflamation in the rib tissue) is part of it which is common with Fibro. My doctor has not ruled out fibro with me yet as we are going to continue to do more when I return home at the end of July.

Everyone seems to think that I am just "stressed and excited" which is true. I have been through a lot this last year. My finace is a teacher and he had the class from hell this year too so I feel his stress and both of us got very little sleep this school year.

Closed Thread