It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive

ralve HB User
Heart palpitations and sleep

Hi all~~
I was just wondering if any of you might be familiar with what I've been experiencing. I've had heart palpitations for years, probably about 15 years now. I've had numerous tests done, and my heart seems to be fine, but I get PVC's and PAC's, the only thing I've really been able to relate them to is possible hormonal changes.
Occassionally, I'll get a thing that's kind of hard to describe while I'm sleeping. It feels like some kind of heart palpitation that wakes me up, or actually feels like my heart pausing, and then I wake up kind of gasping for air, but then I'm fine. I don't think I really need to gasp for air, it's just some kind of reflex. I thought it might be sleep apnea, but it also seems to be related to the palpitations. It was so weird, last night, I tried to go to sleep, and I didn't sleep at all because I was having bad palpitations, and every time I would drift off, it was right then that my body would wake me up in like a jumping feeling, and the gasp thing. Now, of course, today I am so tired because I didn't sleep at all, and I tried to take a nap, and the same thing kept happening. I was anxious yesterday because of a party that I helped my daughter get together, and I did have an anxious day, but this seems ridiculous. I worry that I will never sleep again! It's such a scary thing, because obviously something is going on that is related to sleep, and I worry about my heart stopping while I'm sleeping. I just got up now, and I feel better heart-wise just getting up, but I'm so tired. I don't drink, smoke, or do caffeine. Do you guys know anything about what this could be? I was basically just wondering if anyone had any trouble sleeping like this, and were awakened with a startle like that. Thanks so much for any help!~ Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: Heart palpitations and sleep

I dont know how to exactly describe what i feel but when im laying down and its quiet i notice that my heart sometimes seems to pause and it feels really weird. I dont need to gasp for air but i do get the palp/pause feeling. It happens ever so often but not on a regular basis, sometimes it does it a few nites in a row then i dont have it happen again for weeks or months, i have no idea what it is, ive ask on the board before but no one seemed to have any answers. It also seems that i can hear the pause in my ears. Its really weird.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi~~
Thanks for the response, it sounds like that is somewhat similiar to what I am feeling. I will have good and bad nights with it, though, so it's easy to put off going in for it. I've also had alot of tests done already, so I don't know if there are tests for sleep apnea or what. I guess I should have that checked out, because I hear that can be dangerous. I've slept ok the last couple of nights, I have no idea why though. I've tried to cut out sweets, especially chocolate (which is hard!!)...and drink alot of water. I try to have at least one of those liter bottles of FIJI every day, because it seems to help, I don't know why, but especially that water. Heart palpitations are so weird, because you can feel them in all different parts of your body, like even sometimes your abdomen can get jumpy from them, so I know what you mean. And, when you are laying down is when you really feel them, and are more aware of each heartbeat. I have chosen not to go on meds right now for them, because supposedely the kind that I have are not generally dangerous, and any medication can make them worse. I did go on medication actually a long time ago, and for a while it worked, and then just made things worse, so I went off. Thanks again, and good luck! Val

Old 07-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

Kristin67 HB User
Smile Re: Heart palpitations and sleep

My PVC's can be triggered by the onset of illness or a flare up of my autoimmune disease... I don't know about hormonal changes, though... keep a calendar, see if they have a pattern... this type of thing can be hard to track, because keeping a calendar (esp. for years) is not an easy thing to do...
I do have them in the night (and all day long), and usually I notice them only if I'm sick or had a nightmare and triggered a good bigiminy run.
Good luck,
Kristin

Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Wow Valger your post sounds EXACTLY like me several months ago.I cant even add anything I had the exact same thing going on.I too have had palpitations here and there for years but the nightly no sleep ones lasted about 2 to 3 weeks.Hopefully yours will pass too.My doctor did send me for a holter monitor the results came back "recored several PVC's of no real concern." Several? haha I felt tons! Anyway its probably nothing to worry about although when its happening so often its hard not to worry.Maybe ask your doctor for an event or holter monitor if it keeps up.By the way my husband has been experiancing palps off and on since yesturday

hang in there you will be alright!

Last edited by tnmomofive; 07-10-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Closed Thread