HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   stress test result, how long? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/408355-stress-test-result-how-long.html)

rc1975 07-09-2006 05:40 PM

stress test result, how long?

i am going for a nuc stress test wednesday, does the dr give u the results after the test is completed or how long does it take to get results? also how long do u run the tradmill for? 4 hrs seems like a while to be there so just wondering how long they make u run for and do u feel they dye when the inject it in u ?

Toneman 07-09-2006 06:47 PM

Re: stress test result, how long?

RC,

I just had a nuclear stress thest this past March as part of my annual physical. You will most likely not get the final report the same day as they will take xrays of your heart both before and after your treadmill test, which is why it takes 4 hours, and then the cardiologist has to compare the two along with the results of the treadmill test. In my case I had the resting pictures done the day before and an echo on the same day. The amount of time you will run on the treadmill depends on how long it takes you to get up to your targeted heart rate. That is calculated as 220 minus how old you are. They then need you to hit at least 85% of that number. Once you hit that number you will be injected with the tracer and you'll need to run for one more minute. I needed to hit 162 beats per minute which I did in about 4 or 5 minutes on the treadmill and then they let me walk longer so I walked about 7 or 8 minutes, could have gone much longer but they had someone waiting for their test. Be assured, they will stop the test at any time if you feel any discomfort or pain or if you show any symptoms of a problem. Sometimes the tech or cardiologist doing the treadmill part of your test will tell you how well you did on the treadmill , but they need to see the pictures before they can give you the final results.

Right after you get done with the stress part of your test you'll go back to radiology for the xrays after stress. It takes about 15 minutes. I did not feel the tracer as it was injected and I got my results back the next day.

I would make one suggestion, most of the time you'll just get a call from your doctor or cardiologist to tell you your test results, that's what happened to me. I recently had to get a copy of the report for the surgeon who took out my gallbladder in May and when I picked it up I asked her to go over it with me, I wanted to know what all the numbers meant. Make sure they schedule a time for you to sit down with either your doctor or cardiologist and have them explain the results, it will bring much greater peace of mind.

Don't worry about the test, it's a breeze. Good luck.

Tony

Pika 07-10-2006 03:07 AM

Would the persantine-thallium test same? Anyone had it before? Are they scary?

Pika

Fathersson 07-10-2006 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=Pika]Would the persantine-thallium test same? Anyone had it before? Are they scary?

Pika[/QUOTE]

Not quite. There are two kinds of nuclear (MiBi, Thallium, all are the same in terms of the imaging using a scintillation camera and radioactive blood tracer) stress test.

One is the exercise nuclear stress test, where a Thallium (or like) dye is injected both before and after (actually, usuing during, at the end) of a regular ECG monitored exercise stress test on a treadmill.

The other type is where a chemical is used to increase the heart rate instead of exercise. Persantine is a medication that mimics the effects of adrenaline and increase heart rate. It can be quite precisely regulated so they can stop its effects quickly, but it means you won't be running on a treadmill to get your heart rate up.

Much of the duration of the nuclear imaging stress test is spent just waiting, while the dye is given time to circulate and perfuse through your heart muscle. A lot of the rest of the time is spent lying still on the camera bed while the scintillation camera takes it's 360 degrees series of images (actually, usually 180, since there are two cameras on opposite ends of a swing arm). I seem to remember a full series took something like 25-30 minutes, but it will depend on the particular equeipment being used.

Bring a book to read :)

The results can also get analysed in a number of ways. I know that the afternoon of my last nuclear imaging test, my cardiologist had gone over the basic results. But, he then asked the heart center techs to run the image date, along with the ECG data, through 3 different computer models, that gave predictions of degree of long term and short term recovery for the tissue that showed silent ischemia under stress. Those results weren't ready for another day or two. So sometimes, the availability of the final report depends what the first pass over the data indicates.