It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

Glassless HB User
When you're poor, you're pretty much dead...

My mother is 51. She is not that old, but is overweight and hasn't had the regular tests women should have, in over five years. She is on unemployment and that is about to run out. She has two degrees, and has applied and contues to apply for as many jobs, all over the U.S. pretty much, that she can, just to try to get work. Even with a roommate, all three of us are living below poverty level. (The computer, 7yrs old, is a hand-me-down from someone, the internet service, I use thanks to a friend, so I can't even really afford to be here online.).

She has had swelling in her hands and feet for a long time, probably a couple years or more. But the BLEEP doctor (Sorry, I'm upset) that she saw a couple years ago just said edema and gave her these water pills (not sure what they are called) and sent her on her way. She can't afford to go back to him, but since he didn't give a reason as to why she might have edema or even warn her that it could be serious, I don't think that matters.

She got in after jumping through a billion hoops that most people can't go through, to the free clinic where they couldn't believe that other doctor didn't give her a 'real' diagnosis, whatever that means.

Her symptoms have gotten way worse over the last few weeks, couple months, etc. Her whole body from the neck down is swollen, her stomach worse of all so that she feels 'pregnant' (And no, she isn't, there is no way for her to be pregnant), and is having trouble breathing.

The free clinic nurse was notified as the papers told her to do, and she said it could be congestive heart failure, that it sounded a lot like that and went on to say by the time such symptoms present themselves, damage could already be severe. Then? They scheduled her to come back next week.

Hate to think what they do to someone who's actually having chest pains. Since severe swelling, pain, difficulty getting around and difficulty BREATHING aren't priority. What is?

She refuses to go up to the E.R. that is up the street because the last time she went there, they treated her so horrible that a little while ago she was sitting here crying just thinking about it. The free clinic they treat you as if you are stupid, ignorant and don't deserve to be treated like you have feelings, a brain or are a human being. They don't treat you with any sort of decency even here in America, if you are poor.

My mother even has credits towards her masters' degree and can't find work and is trying harder than anyone I have ever known in m life. Yet, at the hospital and free clinics, treat her as if she were just a lazy slob who deserves to hurt.

They treat everyone like that who doesn't have insurance or money.

I'm not saying everyone does, but the majority do.

So, I can't drive and nobody but my mother can drive her anywhere at this point. We have no family here and the family we do have in other states either can't help or the ones that can, don't or won't realize how severe things are. Not that they can do anything.

She has to wait another week, another week with potential damage to her heart. Another week of, for all we know, her dying. And for what? They will do what? What happens then?

I'm scared, sad, helpless to do anything, and can't stop crying myself.

Then add in people don't get treated with any kind of dignity, and my grandparents, the few people who might be able to get her money to see a decent doctor who would treat her with respect and care that she deserves are too full of integrity and too naive still to believe that doctors who take an oath, would dare treat someone poor differently than someone who has insurance.

People die every day right here in America just because they are poor, right in front of everyone's eyes but they refuse to see.

I don't know what to do or what will happen. I don't think anybody cares. Well...Certainly not anyone who could actually help.

Really feel like when the world tells you for years and years that you are worthless, the way it has my mother and the way I've seen it do to her (The people in it and how they've effected her very personality and behavior) and myself, you start to believe it. We must be worthless because we'll likely die without anyone even glancing over here at us.

Glassless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
(male)

nicm HB User
Re: When you're poor, you're pretty much dead...

I don't know what state you live in but most have medicaid benefits through the state welfare department. This is not a fun process but you should contact them as soon as possible for an appointment. They also supply free legal advice and advocacy to low income families. I know its hard but don't give up, the strongest bonds you have right now is faith and each other.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

Glassless HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicm
I don't know what state you live in but most have medicaid benefits through the state welfare department. This is not a fun process but you should contact them as soon as possible for an appointment. They also supply free legal advice and advocacy to low income families. I know its hard but don't give up, the strongest bonds you have right now is faith and each other.
Thanks for the reply. I know the state offers benefits and we'll be looking into those for her soon, if we can. They do make you jump through hoops though and the doctors available through said benefits are few and far between and do treat you differently as I have been down that road myself. It's doubtful the care she'll get that way will be much better, if at all. Hope is all we really have. Or all I really have. Hope and as you said, one another.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It's true...if you cannot afford health care in the United States you can rot in the streets.

Don't worry though, your Senators and Representatives are given EXCELLENT health care Scot free.
President can get a taxpayer-paid full body MRI if he develops a sniffle.

Look back to 1992 when the House of Representatives voted down the Clinton Health Care plan and if your representative voted against it, vote him OUT of the House in November.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

Glassless HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
It's true...if you cannot afford health care in the United States you can rot in the streets.

Don't worry though, your Senators and Representatives are given EXCELLENT health care Scot free.
President can get a taxpayer-paid full body MRI if he develops a sniffle.

Look back to 1992 when the House of Representatives voted down the Clinton Health Care plan and if your representative voted against it, vote him OUT of the House in November.
Exactly! It's outrageous and then we put people in charge who are not that bright to begin with, give them all of this power, and then they're greedy -insert words I cannot use here- selfish, apathetic ways and we're all doomed.

I do vote. I wish my votes counted. Seems they do whatever they please no matter what people vote anyway, but we try, that's all we can do. Hope and not give up.

Closed Thread