It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

brazz32003 HB User
muga shows no weakness but...

had recent muga scan 7/17/06 results from test shows heart no longer weak & ef is 63% yet dr does not want to stop coreg 6.25mg 2x daily. he hasnt given me any reason as to why i need to continue heart med, i just wonder is it doing me any good to stay on them if heart has recovered DCM. i was diagnosed 2/24/06 w/dcm they could not determine where it came from, i just remember having a very stressful year 2005 and before event felt SOB after night of shopping. possible cardiac stress myopathy but they havnt said I read about this from Johns Hopkins report on women & stress "brokenheart syndrome" anyone else can relate?

Last edited by brazz32003; 09-03-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: muga shows no weakness but...

WOW!

I've never heard of such a cure over 5 months. I'm almost willing to BET that the doctor who diagnosed cardiomyopathy in February made a mistake. What Ejection Fraction did they get back then?

It is quite possible that the COREG is giving you this increased performance and that your numbers would deteriorate again without it.

Do you have a history of hypertension...if so, that would be another reason to stay on the COREG?

I guess what you COULD do is to stop the drug slowly and then have another MUGA in a couple months to see if your EF stays high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazz32003
had recent muga scan 7/17/06 results from test shows heart no longer weak & ef is 63% yet dr does not want to stop coreg 6.25mg 2x daily. he hasnt given me any reason as to why i need to continue heart med, i just wonder is it doing me any good to stay on them if heart has recovered DCM. i was diagnosed 2/24/06 w/dcm they could not determine where it came from, i just remember having a very stressful year 2005 and before event felt SOB after night of shopping. possible cardiac stress myopathy but they havnt said I read about this from Johns Hopkins report on women & stress "brokenheart syndrome" anyone else can relate?
It is likely your heart continues to be weak, but medication is like a crutch to provide less work for the heart. With less work the heart muscle may return to normal size. It is medically termed reverse remodeling.

Two and a half years ago may heart's left ventricle was oversized and EF was below 29% in the heart failure range. With medication (coreg, etc.). may LV is normal size and ef is 59%, but due to a prior heart attack there appears to be some impairment of contractions although collaterals have bypassed a totally blocked artery vessel. Medication continues to provide relief with a reduction of the heart's workload.

Yes, stress (over a long period of time) can cause the heart to worker harder and enlarge (not unlike a skeletal muscle), and shortness of breath may be an indication of inadequate contractions during systole phase (pumping) to provide a sufficent supply of blood. The reason to continue medication depends on the underlying reason! It is not uncommon the condition is idiopathic (cause unknown) and medication is continued for prudent reasons.

Is stress the only underlying reason? And if there is relief from stress, can one discontinue heart medication? IMHO, I believe once there has been heart condition or event there is high degree of risk and requires continued heart medication.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

brazz32003 HB User

Back Then They Did A Tee (procedure Where They Look At Heart Through Mouth Kinda Like Endoscopy (tephesophageal) I Was Told Ef Was Closer To 45% I Was Placed On Low Dose Coreg Then 3.125 2x Daily They Also Thought I Had Mild Stroke Because I Had Dystonia (movement Disorder) Of The Face, Hand And Leg All On Left Side Neurologist Placed Me On Trihexyphenidyl But This Subsided Before I Was Discharged From The Hospital I Had Two Catheter Performed To Check Arteries And One For Arrythmia But They Came Back Ok & A Couple Of Echo's But They Always Said Ef Was About The Same. Was Placed On Verapimil Briefly But Had Bad Effect While On It, Shortly After Had Muga & Results Came Back Heart Was Healthy I Do Have History Of Hypertension But It Was Never Out Of Control Been On Diovan 160 For A Couple Of Years Just Stress From Being Married Not Too Overweight 37 Yrs Old 3 Kids 5'2" 170lbs...just Want To Know If It Is Ok To Stay On Coreg If Heart If Fine....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Stay on Coreg and other meds prescribed. Your heart is weak, and you have mild hypertension. Normal EF is 55 to 75%.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

brazz32003 HB User

Ok I Will... Dr Took Me Off Coreg For One Week Because My Libido Was Nil & I Was Crying All The Time, So He Wanted To See If Stopping Coreg Would Make Symptoms Go Away...they Seem To Libido Increased Mentally & Crying Did Stop...but Then He Wanted Me To Start Again To See If They Come Back...so I Will See Dr This Thursday & See Where He Wants To Go From Here...i Wonder How Long Will I Need To Continue Coreg Before He Does Another Ekg Or Echo...i Heard Maybe 6 Months From Last Test Which Was The Muga. If My Heart Is Still Strong & Ef 63% Or Better Wonder If Possibility Of Full Recovery? I Had No Damage To Heart Initially Just Mild Dilation.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

brazz,

Why not try to drop 40 pounds and get on an exercise program. It is important to strengthen your heart. Perhaps that route will get you on a CoReg free life.

What is the effect of the Diovan PLUS CoReg on your blood pressure?

How do you FEEL physically? Often that is more important than ejection fraction.

A strong beta-blockers is very hard for some people to tolerate day in and day out and libido loss, depression, weight gain, insomnia, and crying jags aren't uncommon.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-06-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Closed Thread