It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Throbbing/Pulsating Neck

Hi there. I have posted a couple other posts here describing my general symptoms (I am 28 yr old male, by the way), including fatigue, lightheadedness, shortness of breath at night, palpitations, alcohol intolerance (my heart beats really hard), slight puffiness in feet, and swelled veins. I have been to a couple cardios and had ekg, echo, and cardiac ct and all are "fine" (or so they say). All that was found was that my thymus gland was 1.9 cm in thickness (which the said is "unremarkable" for my age).

What really concerns me still (in addition to the fact that I am convinced that the docs are missing something) is the fact that I can see my heart beat in the base of neck between my collar bones. It is always there. When I drink alcohol it is noticeably worse. Could this be that my heart is really weak and has to work harder? Could the enlarged thymus (which is at the base of the neck) be involved?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Re: Throbbing/Pulsating Neck

Can anyone help? I am really concerned. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

Fiona84 HB User

I'm sorry, I don't really have any answers.

However, my heart also beats really hard when I drink. I hate sleeping the night after I drink alcohol because I wake up in the middle of the night with an increased heart rate.

I have had normal EKGs, Echo as well.

I guess all I can say is trust the doctors they are the experts, but I have a hard time with that too when I always have heart symptoms.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Thanks for the response, Fiona. Glad to hear that I am not alone with respect to the booze's effect on pulse, etc. I haven't drank in a couple of weeks. Hope that helps me.

However, does anyone experience a throbbing pulse in the middle of their neck during a normal day (i.e. without drinking, etc.), like I described? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

Kate1000 HB User

Hi, I have exactly that symptom. It's scary isn't it! My doctor referred me to a cardiologist yesterday after echo showed an increased blood flow, suspected to be due to a patent ductus arteriosus (see other 'worried about echo' thread). He said the throbbing vein thing probably due to this. I suppose it would make sense.

Anyway he thinks this is something I would have had since birth, & he is only making a routine referral because he doesnt think its too much to worry about.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Roscoe,

Seeing one's heartbeat pulsing anywhere in one's body is quite normal and no reason for concern.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
(female)

Rani* HB User

Hi Roscoe
I did a search of my symptoms on the net and found your posting. I had all the same tests including a angiogram all negative (so they say) I feel the same way. No one has said anything about my thrymus gland however Im scheduled to see a Otolaryngology. I just did a search of disorders of the Thymus gland and here are the symptoms.

Shortness of breath
Facial swelling
Muscle weakness
Blurred vision
Double vision
Neck swelling
Neck pain
Flushing
Diarrhoea
Asthma

Im a 50yr old female. For the last 4-5 years I have had shortness of breath, fatigue, intermittant overall weakness, some sweeling feet/legs, intermittant muscle weakness, intermittant double vision, left side chest pain, arm pain, ear pain, lump/pain in neck, difficulty swallowing, gall blatter pain, kidney area pain, excessive head and face sweating, intermittant difficulty concentrating. It was only with in the last 6-8 months I started having palpatations, throbbing in neck, difficulty swallowing especially on left side, ear pain (without explanation). Slow hard pounding heart rate dropping down into 30's at times. Also fast heart rate that occured with drinking. Drinking also seems to amplifies my symptoms dramtically. About 6-8 months ago I began drinking socially and that's when these symptoms began to get worse, and Ive had to quit because it also started to have neuorological symptoms.
Where my legs would give out and I'd fall to the floor. My hands and arms were so weak I couldnt open my med bottles. I have several different MRI's CAT Scans, plus Exrays, ecko's, stress test, ekgs, hidrascan, asthma testing (negative) this scan and that scan. Im very interested in this this thymus gland as well as the parathyroid glands. They are all in the same area of the neck. As I mentioned I have an appt with an Otolaryngologist, if I find out any helpful information I will post it. Thanks for your posting I was beginning to think I was the only one with these symptoms. Rani

Last edited by Rani*; 09-28-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Rani,

It sounds like your symptoms are pretty intolerable and I am sorry to hear that. Mine are pretty bad, but not nearly as severe as yours with respect to your reaction to alcohol.

Please let me know how things are. I am wishing you the best.

Ross

Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Hi, there. Since 10-2006 my symptoms have gotten worst. Throbbing/pulsating neck vein. It is so loud I can hear the pulsating vein on my right side of my supraclavicle all the way to the temple of my forehead. I have the same symptoms a drunk feeling, shortness of breath, palpitations alcohol intolerance. Unable to have a good night sleep because I can hear my artery/vein pulsating. Of course I have had all the test MRI's/MRA/echo's etc. Name it I've had it. I also think my doctor's are missing something and I am afraid it will get worst before anything will be done. I need answers as well. I am my best doctor and try to keep up with what is happening to me. I know for a fact this is not normal. It is unbearable. I have seen several doctor's for this condition. 10 to be exact only one said it was an artery that most likely needed to be surgically repaired. But when he did some studies and did not locate the problem area he gave up. He referred me back to my primary doctor. I am still looking for an answer.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

you should not on a reg bases feel and see your heart beat in the neck
when im normal i dont have the problem
when im ill i do
sometime people find there own problem by hearing it in the ear
keep after the doc

Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
(male)

tc1414 HB User

i, too, can feel my heart beat in the base of my neck at various times throughout the day. i can pretty much feel my heart beat all the time, though. this started after i was diagnosed with a-fib and started taking beta blockers (metoprolol for two months, then doc switched me to bystolic). I've gotten fairly used to being able to feel my heart beat at all times, but it still worries me, like something is wrong. I never felt it before I went on the betas.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Hello
I was thinking about a beta blocker???? But I have not been diagnosed with anything wrong. I just can't believe doc's are unable to pinpoint what is happening. I can see my vein pulsating and the humming sound is so so loud. I am only in my fourties and don't think this is normal at my age. I know for a fact there is something wrong with this vein **Jugular,Artery,vein***just don't know. Thanks for any info -any info will help

Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeles0209 View Post
Hello
I was thinking about a beta blocker???? But I have not been diagnosed with anything wrong. I just can't believe doc's are unable to pinpoint what is happening. I can see my vein pulsating and the humming sound is so so loud. I am only in my fourties and don't think this is normal at my age. I know for a fact there is something wrong with this vein **Jugular,Artery,vein***just don't know. Thanks for any info -any info will help
I have it
i think it is your heart
do you have it all day?How fast is your heart rate?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
(male)

tc1414 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeles0209 View Post
Hello
don't go on a beta blocker unless you absolutely need to. there's a lot of side effects that come along with them, and i think this constant awareness of my heart beating is one of them. others are worse, some are mild, and betas effect different people different ways. i would just say to avoid them unless your doc deems it necessary for you to be on them!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Hi!!
I have this problem 24/7 non stop. My heart beat's about 60-70 beats per minute. But, this is accompanied with palpitations. It's a whip feeling as if my vein whips the blood to my brain. It is out of control. I feel as if I am drunk most of the time. Trying to fall asleep at night is a challenge the noise in my head is overwhelming. Thanks for any info you might have.

Closed Thread