It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User
Question Do arrhythmias cause damage to the heart tissue?

Hi I was just wondering if arrhythmias like SVT and a-fib or any arrhythmias cause damage to the heart or after years of fast irregular heart rates, does it damage the heart. I was just thinking if your heart beats around 2times the normal rate, is it inevitable that your heart will get into failier sooner than a normal beating heart? Just curious! I'm just wondering are there any long term damage, coz I know heart disease can cause arrhythmias, but can it happen the other way round? I'm beeing tested for arrhythmias, and I have been told I probably have A-fib, and I was just thinking if my heart is like this at 20, should it get more of a problem when I'm older or should it stay the same? I know that cant be answered in deffinate!

Hope some of you can give me some information!

Thanks!

Last edited by Dancer_Cat86; 09-19-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User
Re: Do arrhythmias cause damage to the heart tissue?

Dancer.. that is a multifold question but i will answer it to the best of my knowledge. Arrhythmias themselves do not cause heart damage. Where you can get damage or changes within the heart is when the heart compensates for the arrhythmia... For example you can get muscle thickening from a heart that beats strongly (or has to use a lot of force to get all the blood out) like from PVC's.... you can also get a tired heart muscle called cardiomyopathy from a heart that is constantly beating too fast... However as i have been told many times before, it is pretty rare to get a cardiomyopathy from purely just a fast heart rate, even if it is a daily event.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmnmnmn
... you can also get a tired heart muscle called cardiomyopathy from a heart that is constantly beating too fast... However as i have been told many times before, it is pretty rare to get a cardiomyopathy from purely just a fast heart rate, even if it is a daily event.
Just my luck that it is pretty rare.

I had a fast heart beat, about 160 bpm, for about seven months. During that time it never slowed down. I felt great so I ignored it. After about seven months, I started having difficulty breathing, especially when lying down. I went to a doctor, hoping to get treatment for, what I thought was Asthma, or for whatever was causing my breathing problems, and the doctor hospitalized me with heart failure (cardiomyopathy).

That was about 20 years ago.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 09-20-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Dancer,

Another element of danger is that the blood pooling during irregular beating is more likely to form clots that can be pumped out and do lots of damage. Those clots probably represent the greatest danger, thus many people with these conditions are put on anticoagulant therapy.

Yes, constant tachycardia is exhausing for the heart and eventually can result in myopathic changes and heart failure.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-20-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

Thanks very much for your help! I am very sorry I read over what I wrote and it was very confusing, and I didnt put it in the most clear way! Thanks again for your advice! Its greately appreciated!

cat

Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
(female)

carmelbabe HB User
Wink Re: Do arrhythmias cause damage to the heart tissue?

Hi there! I too have a fast heart rate and yesterday I had a stress test and they took pictures of my heart using radioactive injections. I do not know
what the results are but I did fairly well on the treadmill...had a met of 7..not too bad...not great.

I hear that you can be put on medications to slow things down and that helps a lot. I wouldn't worry too much though I'm the queen of worry. I've begun my journey to get into shape...I'm 45 and too young to have heart problems.

Hang in there and let me know what you find out!!:

Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
(female)

jgetter HB User

Yes, I think they can because the EP said that there was damage to the upper chambers of the heart due to the frequency of the arrythmias, no medication to stop the arrhythmias, and or not having the area ablated. . The area may be healed by electric remodeling, which according to him is acheived by keeping the area calm and stopping the cause,( i.e. adreniline) to make the same "journey". He said that the average person does not sustain the atrial fib, even when provoked through electric stimuli...we sustain that because the heart, from several bouts of it has remapped itself, and it is in the "habit" of sustaining the atrial fib. He's convinced you can break the habit and therefore "heal" the heart.

Closed Thread