It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
(male)

jj9500 HB User
slow heart rate and skipping beats/palpitations

My resting heart rate (right when I get up in the am) is bewteen 56-60 bpm. On ocasion I take my pulose sitting at my desk and it's around 58 bpms. I've also noticed that I have been getting more and more skipped beats lately. I can feel it in my pulse, then THUMP - it's back to normal. A couple months ago I took a stress test and echocardiogram and the pre test for the stress treadmill teset said I had possible bradycardia and also noted irregular arthymias and an abnormal ECG. Funny the doc never called me on any of this unless she feels it is nothing to worry about??? But, now that I am feeling these skipped beats, I wonder if this is something I should be concerned about? Mid August through Mid September brought on alot of stress (mother triple bypass surgery and 6 yr old son testings for mass found in his cheek) and I was drinking alot of coffee. But, the stress and dimished some and I am trying to lay off the coffee to see what happens. I still get the missed beats. I do have allergies and acid refulx. No other health conditions. Report said my treadmill test was fine, but did have mild regurgitation in some of the valves. Do my sypmtoms warrant a call to the cardiologist? Also, a question to the cardiologist on how come some of these abnormalities were not brought up to me. Maybe they are just minimal and no need to mention to the patients - don't know...

Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: slow heart rate and skipping beats/palpitations

There doesn't appear to be any problem based on your heart rate. In fact it is quite good. Bradycardia is a measurement below 60 bpm; it would have to drop much more to be a medical problem. A very slow heartbeat can cause clots.

Irregular heartbeat (skipped beat) is quite common according to my echo technician. He attempted to show me one on the screen, but none occurred.

Mild regurg is also quite common. Doesn't require treatment, but should be watched. No need for concern.

A possiblility that due to stress, diet, coffee there is a chemical imbalance (calcium, postassium, electrolytes). The imbalance can interfere with the conduction of electric impulses causing the irregular heartbeats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Sometimes I woke up in the middle of the night, I've to wait for the beat come because I didn't feel any! The holter said "pause" that ECG event show 3 straight lines there. I don't know and wasn't sure, is that what we are talking about skip beats/missing beats in the forum here. But that 3 straight lines was happened in 2:14pm not night time during my sleep!

I was given a cup of strong coffee after the stress test. They told me go home and drink a lot of strong coffee and come back tomorrow for the scan. Next day, they said it shows much better! Everyone thought I make up this story but it was happened to me and it is true. I'm really wonder "coffee" the relationship with heart? Are that all bad for? No good reaction for?

Pika

Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Coffeee is a stimulant and all stimulants increase the heart rate.

Often what appears to be skipped beats are two very close beats and a longer pause. The beat is not skipped (same number of beats in a 3 beat interval), but the beats are irregular (different lengths of time between heartbeats).

Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Thanks, Kenkeith.

Now I can refer to my ECG and see it was like that way or not? Appreciate your help.

jj9500, I know my dr always said "Fine" nothing wrong until he wants to put me on the surgery table then he'll seriously talk to me. Because of "not broke why need to fix"??????

Pika

Closed Thread