It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Does anyone take a beta-blocker for pac's and pvc's?

I am a 35 yr old female, have been diagnosed 5 years ago with pac's and pvc's. During the years they have gotten to where I have them every day now, and all different. I ONLY have up to 300 a day, however, I think having one or a thousand they still are horrible. Anyways, lately I've developed a fast rhythm at time, and yes, sometimes during stressful episodes. In the past I have had 2 holters, EKGs, blood work and an Echo done. It showed mild mitral valve prolapse with no other abnormalties. I have been told to live with it, but it is affecting my life, which the Dr.'s now say is just Anxiety, and that is just the reason for the fast heart rate. (I go from 70bpm to 130bpm and then skipping episodes) Yes, I do have anxiety over them, but not before them. Anyway, I have an appointment in a week and half to talk to her about a beta blocker, she said she would give me one, but wanted me to think about it first. Anyways, do any of you take them for benign pac's/pvc's, and what has been your experience with them? Thank you for any input!! Michelle

Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Does anyone take a beta-blocker for pac's and pvc's?

Hi Michelle,

Beta blockers will slow the heart rate (should), and with a slower heart rate, irregular heartbeats are less likely to happen (should).

If your rhythmatic disorder is due to more than necessary neurohomoral transmission, there will be some blockage to those impulses by BB's to provide relief.

Beta blockers will help offset anxiety (emotions) effects as well (should/can).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
(female)

seaecho HB User

Michelle, you sound exactly like me! I also have frequent PACs or PVCs, or whatever they are. The cardiologist didn't say, but since I don't usually have other symptoms with them, he said I'd be fine. Well, actually LIVING with them is a different story! Makes me wonder if the cardiologist has ever experienced what I do. Probably not. Anyway, I have had these for close to 30 years, and was only diagnosed with SLIGHT Mitral Valve Prolapse a little over a year ago. Even an echo didn't catch it back in the 70s. (I guess technology is a lot better now). Don't you love how doctors tell you to just live with it? Easier said than done. At times, my heart is irregular every other beat! That is terrifying and really drains me. I once went into a very strange rhythm that scared the crap out of me. My heart would feel like a fish out of water, with no real rhythm and very fast, too. I did have some faintness with that episode. It kept going back and forth, for about 20 minutes. That's when I headed to the ER. Of course, by the time I got there my heart wasn't doing it anymore. Shortly after that, I saw the cardioloigst and was diagnosed with MVP. I am on Inderal, a beta blocker, and have been for the last eleven years. My primary doctor prescribed it originally because my heartbeat was irregular. I take 20mg three times a day. It HAS made a difference - I get far fewer palps, etc. when I'm on this drug. And I've had NO bad side effects. It does seem to help some people greatly. Of course, now that I'm entering menopause, my palps and skips are much worse than ever before (I read this is common) so its even more important that I don't miss any doses of my beta blocker. Don't be afraid to take it. Millions of people do, and if it helps you, so much the better!

By the way, the beta blockers do not help my anxiety, so I must also take Xanax when needed. I have panic attacks, and the cardiologist says this is very common among people who have MVP, which is interesting.

Ranid

Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

jgetter HB User

Hi Michelle, I'm sorry that you are feeling afraid, I wish the best for you on your journey to health. I started taking toprol a few weeks ago after albation, the doctor originally said that my blood pressure was too low to take it, but I guess the benefits outway the risks. To tell you the truth, I am getting used to the medication, and I have played golf twice so far and with the doc's blessing will return to tennis in two weeks...all on the beta blocker. I passed out on the tennis court three weeks ago because I was told to "live with it"...you know your body better than anyone, so trust your gut and err on the side of caution, I learned my lesson and now I want to urge anyone that has a heart issue to get to the bottom of it, regardless of how healthy you look, or how much exercise you do...the tests can be deceiving.Good luck and let me know how you are doing. J

Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Michele-
I recently (Sept 6th) had a sudden 4 day episode of crazy PVCs. I wore a 24 hr Holter and it recorded 14,500 of them. The report also says I had frequent bigimeny and trigimeny. I was put on Atenolol at the ER but I had to switch to Toprol because the other was really making me too dopey to function. But now I am finding the number of PVCs is increasing. In fact, I was up most of last night because my heart was going kerflubbity all over. I was counting and feeling about 10 'skips' a minute. By noon today it was calming down. of course, I felt and still fell like a cooked noodle. I am not sure wether my dose is wrong or what but I am very concerned about these episodes - it isn't easy to function and I get so light-headed I am afraid I amy not be safe. Anyway, best of luck to you- Suzy-Q

Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User

THis if for all of you PAC/PVC er's. I feel like a record of Lenin but as with his advice i asked my doctor about magnesium. It seems funny that doctors dont seem to tell you about things that can help with pac/pvcs other than medications. However when i asked him about magnesium he said that magnesium has been found to help with premature beats. He recommended try 500mg of magnesium and you can buy it in bulk at the stores. Even if you dont have a low magnesium level, a higher magnesium level can help with the excitability of the heart. WOrth a try i thought since it wasnt some drug with nasty side affects. And thanks again Lenin.

Last edited by mnmnmnmn; 10-03-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

i am on inderal 160 it helps i can tell when i havent taken it my heart skipps and jumps and yes it is vert draining with the sudden loss of my mom it is really acting up. it is a lot of stress on it has not helped. he also has me on verapamil at night 120mil. .......susan kay

Old 10-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi i am still on the inderal 160 but dr.mike has upped my verapmil to 180 mil. at night. but i have a question i have been having a lot of palpatations hard ones. i have been under a lot of stress at work and the sudden loss of my mom that was not expected could that be causing the palps to be more and so hard? does anyone one know? susan kay

Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Hi Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mother to cancer when I was much younger, but still remember it to this day. I just wanted to tell you I just today started the Inderal LA 60. I react so strongly to meds that we are starting out small. I'm glad we did because my first day today and I am very dizzy. Did you have any side effects when you started, and did they go away? I don't mind being a little tired, if that is all it does. Are you supposed to eat it with food? Also, does it take awhile to work into your blood, like a couple days? I took it today following an svt, or tachy episode of hr150 with lots of skipping. I couldn't get myself out of the rhythm and so after 15 minutes took the Inderal. I am supposed to take it every morning for svt, but I also have pac's pvc's and supra ventricular ectopic beats, but maybe thats the same thing? What does the Verapamil do? I also take Xanax for my anxiety. (magnesium did not help much, at least not for the tachy episodes). I'm here if you want to talk about your loss, or anything else. Take care, Michelle

Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi thanks for your sweetness it has been a month today and i came home from work and my dad had a bad day to. very emotional to answer your question yes when i first started taking it the inderal made me very dizzy.DR. MIKE started me on 120 then he uped it to 160 and yes i try to eat somthing with it before i go to work in the mornings ill make me some toasty buttered bread in the bottem of my stove and have it with a small cup of tea [ you know tea takes 80% of the iron out of your body but i love me some tea] i will have that as i am driving to work i seem to feel a little better if a i eat somthing when i take it. he put me on the verapamil180 at night because i was having a lot of palpatations to and some tachacardeia so i take that before i go to bed. it seemed to work pretty much with in a couple of 2 or 3 days so hope you can get over your dizzy spells. [when i first started it would hit me inverabley while i was holding money at our poteums were we keep our change for our cashiers. and i would have to stop and hold on for a minute while it passed. or trying to take care of a customer that was fun trying to concentrate on them and i feel like i have a rollercoster going on in my head. susan kay

Closed Thread