It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User
Question Pulse rate as low as 44 and as high as 250 bpm

I know this sounds abit crazzy, but today I decided to monitor my pulse all day by wearing an excersise heart monitor (watch with a chest strap, with a proper ECG reading) and kept an eye for how my pulse changed throughout the day, because my heart rate is hard to keep track of and the doctors cant catch it on ecg...The general average rate all day was around 90-100, but during the day with no excersise my heart rate raised up to 250, and also droped to 44...When it was at 250...it was like that for a few minutes and irregular and thendroped down to a regular beats in the 90's. I think thats why it's been difficult for the doctors to diagnose because it goes as fast as it comes on sometimes. My pulse quite offten rose to 130 regularly, and walking up the stairs would bring it up from 100 to 130... I havent been officialy told that theres something wrong with my heart, but in your oppinion does this sound serious to have a heart rate that goes up to 250 during the day and then down to 40's and so on, and most of the time stays round 100?

Would this put strain on ym heart? Have you got any ideas what it could be? I cant say it makes me feel very unwell...It makes me exhausted more than anything, and if I excersise for a few seconds makes me get palpitations and tiredness. I did try using the excersise bike for 30 seconds with the watch on to see what it was like,a nd int hat time it went strait up to 250, so I stopd then incase it would make my heart any higher!

I'm getting a 7day monitor put on wed, and seeing a cardiologist on friday, so hopefuly they will give me some diagnosis. I justw anted some thoughts on what ti could be? I have had a echo before and wasnt told that anything was wron with it.The doctor said I have a small murmur, but thats about it. Its a mistory though that my pulse goes so high, and for no reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User
Re: Pulse rate as low as 44 and as high as 250 bpm

sorry I forgot to add... I have had trouble the last 3 years getting a diagnosis. Ive had echo, ecg's monitors, and excercise ecg's and at the time didnt have an attack of tacycardia. For arround 2 years it didnt bother me much, I only noticed it during excersise. Since arround 2 weeks ago I've been aware of fast and irregular beats. I'm 20, within the normal weight, maybe slightly lighter, dont smoke, dont drink hardly any alcohol. Concidering my pulse goes as high, I dont feel very uncomfortable, other than slightly light headed and weak, and tired, and sometimes out of breath easily.

The only thing that worries me is my gran died suddenly at 36 with some heart problem that wasn't detected, and because of the time (1070's), they didnt know what caused her heart to stop.

cat

Last edited by Dancer_Cat86; 09-29-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

enie HB User

It sounds a little like mine when I was younger. Doctors never could find out what was going on until years later when my heart skips started lasted longer and started to cause me to fall. Finally when they gave me a 30 day monitor instead of the 24 hour, it showed that my heart had been stopping and they quickly gave me a pacemaker 5 years ago. It took several years befor they found my problems and by then it was in pretty bad shape. I hope yours is ok and nothing serious, but keep on pushing until they give you a solid diagnosis.
enie

Old 09-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Cat,

A rate of 250 BPM can be PAROXYSMAL ATRIAL TACHYCARDIA or an extreme SUPRA VENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA...also paroxysmal if it goes on for more than a couple beats and gets high enough.
The first is more benign but horrible to live with and dangerous, the second can be a killer.

That 7 day monitor and a look see by a cardiologist is exactly what you need. THose swings between 40 and 250 definitely show there is something wrong, probably with your heart's electrical system.

How long do the bouts at 250 BPM last? A heart pumping that fast really isn't delivery blood properly,

Last edited by Lenin; 09-30-2006 at 04:49 AM.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
(female)

jgetter HB User

Cat, I had the same readings...you need to see your Cardio. It does sound exactly like PSVT...sometimes mine would come on when I bent over to pick up something, or if I sat on the couch the wrong way, are you noticing a pattern? I had ablation because of sycope (fainting). I really think it worked because I will start to have an"episode" and it stops after one or two beats...this is amazing because I lived with it for so long. As everyone says, don't stop until you find the right answers. How long are the episodes lasting? Mine would last a few hours and were getting really frequent. An aside...the cardio told me that it was okay to exercise through the episode...his tune changed when I fainted. Listen to your body and your gut feelings.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

I'm not sure to be honest with you how long it lasts up at 250. Yesterday it lasted a few minutes, but the rest of the day fluctuated from 40-160, but generaly at around 100. I'm not always aware of when my pulse is very fast. When I got a blood pressure reading I was feeling relaxed and not in any discomfort and it was 250 (this was done in garndparents house). I'm not realy sure how often it goes up to that level. In a way it would be easier if id get more visable symptoms at the time, coz i know some people know instantly when their in tachycardia. Sometimes I notice, but sometimes i just feel a little tired.

I havent noticed any patterns of when they come on. I used to dance till last year, and that ddi make my pulse get very fast, but I dont think that was a trigger.

THANKS for all your replies!

cat

Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

Hi, This is just an update! Since I last posted I had a 7 day monitor on wed, and today I had a cardiologist appointment. Basicaly, she said that because they havent found anything so far (previous tests last few years, and recent ECG)....instead of completely rooling out everything, she said that she wanted me to have a monitor on for a month. Apparently the doctor I saw before said in my notes that I probably had P Atrial fibrillation. She also said if after the month I havent had an attacK I need to come in and get the monitor reprogrammed for another month, and in the meen time, if i get any attacks to come strait back to see her, and they will take a look at the monitor and go from there. For once I feel as if I am actually getting sorted out! The person that reprogrammed the monitor said that nothing has shown up so far! I hope something shows up in a month, just to get it sorted out, because its very frustrating when it comes up when its not monitored. The doctor did tell me also she cants atrt any treatments or give me tablets till they catch it on the monitor, ebcause they need to see exactly what it is...which i I thought was a good idea because I dont want to be taking meds without knowing whats wrong...she said though she could rool out Long QT...which is good news. Anyway thanks very much for all your support! If you can come up with other tests that might show up an arhythmia please let me know.Thanks

Cat

Old 10-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Cat,

Let me predict that they will find an irregularity but that it won't be nearly as high as 250 BPM...I think that reading might have been caused by your "at-home" exercise monitor. Those things just aren't made to catch a heart rate like that do I think it was a malfunction.

A pulse rate of 250 BPM over any length of time is a medical emergency.

Let us know the results of your monitor.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-06-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

ye I know what you mean. I've had a Blood pressure reading of 250 pulse before too, but again not caught on a hospital one. I know the reading sounds crazzy, I have no diea if blood pressure machines are accurate when theres an irregular pulse. Thanks form your advice Lenin!

thanks

cat

Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
(female)

enie HB User

Cat,
I remember several times when my heart rate went over 250. It went that high and higher. I usually had to wait along time befor it would drop down to 230 a minute befor I could even count it. I didn't have a machine. It usually happened a few hours after I had done extra strenuous work (like hiking and climbing, shoveling snow, or uhaul moving). Most of the spells took place when I was in my twenties & thirties and they would knock me off my feet and keep me in bed for awhile. It took a day or so befor my pulse slowed down to where it belonged, and then I regained my strength. As usual though, it would take a few days befor I could get in to see a Doctor, and as usual by then I was recovered, so naturally he couldn't see anything wrong and said it was all in my head.

I think it is wonderful that you have a doc that keeps searching for the problem. I believe if the Doctor had believed me, and had been able to give my proper diagnose and treatment back then, I would be in better shape now. I gave up because I didnít want people to think I was crazy.
My advice to you is; Keep Searching for That Answer.
enie

Old 10-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

It happened to me TWICE (250 or higher) and I thought death was upon me both times.
The first was in an ER when I got a dose of epinephrine by mistake and everyone started running around with needles to stop the fibrillating.

The second was at home and it lasted 20 minutes, I took valium and a beta-blocker ...scariest of my whole life. Left me exhausted,

Never again though.

I have trouble conceiving of a case where this would happen and a person be unaware of it...I felt as if I had been hit by a BUS driven by Beelzebub himself!

Last edited by Lenin; 10-07-2006 at 07:26 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lenin For This Useful Post:
started04 (07-21-2011)
Old 10-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #12
(female)

jgetter HB User

I have to agree with enie...you have a very good doctor. I had a recorded pulse rate of 240, on a holter monitor...diagnosis afib because of the irregular beats, back in 2002 and the doc said at the exit visit to eat more bananas and if it gets worse call me. And here we are four years later, electrically wacky. Anyway, consider yourself lucky to have an interested doctor who listens to you and wants to get to the root of the problem. The condition can get worse if not attended to, so you are absolutely not over-reacting, stay the course and good luck to you.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #13
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

Lenin-sorry I didnt make this clear, Most times or at leats most that I know of when I have had a very high heart rate, I have felt awful and very light headed, chest pain, and also turn very very pale, and feel very exhausted and have had palpitations, and the day after I feel so tired and exhausted that I cant do anything but sleep. The time where my pulse rate was 250 was when I had the reading on a blood pressure machine in my grandparents house. This was the first time I was aware that my pusle rate wasnt normal. My mum (who's a nurse) was so shocked at the time that she decided to check my pulse herself, and she said that it was so fast and irregular and muffled that she could hardly count it. So either the machine couldn't propaly pick up my pulse because it was so irregular or it was 250. Either way at that time I was perfectly calm, and wasnt aware of the irregular pulse when it was happening only after I saw the reading I knew it was irregular. Most of the time though when I get the fast pulse I am aware of it, because most of the time I get chest pain with it or at elast feel weak or have palpitations.

I dont know if I didnt feel ill the first time because maybe it didnt last long or what....although i have heard that some people with conditions like A fib arent always aware when they have an irregular fast pulse. I know what you meen though, It does sound mad not to be aware of it, but ever since then when I have the attacks I have felt very ill and it takes me days to a week to get over it because of the tiredness.

cat

Closed Thread