It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

KGO HB User
Unhappy Need reassurance for PVC's as I await stress test results

Hello, this is my first time here. I am 37, and have been having PVC's for the past month. I had a holter monitor and had them frequently, with the most being 6 in one minute, with over a thousand "VE" beats over the 24 hours. Anyway, my doctor said these are isolated, but sent me for a stress test. I was terrified b/c my first stress test had an abnormal "positive" result, so I had a nuclear stress test today, and have to wait a few days for the result of that. I was told I could have had a false positive, and my mom also had this after a recent cardiac catheter test on her showed no blockages. I am terrified b/c when I google PVC's, I see all these results about this increasing the risk of sudden death, which is of course my worst fear. My cholesterol is normal, 156, and my blood pressure is normal, except for when I am anxious, when it goes up. I had an echo of my heart about 6 months ago that was normal after I fainted (due to an anxiety attack). I am normally a VERY anxious person, and all of this is of course making it worse. I have two little children and I am so afraid of dying and leaving them. I have a stressful full time job and am very busy, but all of this is making me worry all the time and makes it hard for me to function. I am most scared at night when of course my PVC's are the worst, and I sleep w/ the phone by my bed in case I have to call 911, but am most afraid I won't get help in time b/c of the "sudden death" risk! Please, any reassurance would be appreciated, or just your prayers.

Thanks and I wish all of you also the best w/ your own problems also!

KG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Re: Need reassurance for PVC's as I await stress test results

Hi KG, Oh sweetie, I can just feel your anxiety. I hope maybe I can help calm you a little. I am 35, and I have had pac's and pvc's for 6 years now, with them getting worse every year. I have had numerous ekgs, holters, echo (which only showed a mild mitral valve prolapse) and blood work, which all came back normal with pac's and pvc's. I know exactly how you feel. In the past 5 months my heart has started to just race all of a sudden, for no reason, goes up to 150 and just skips left and right. Scares the heck out of me. I went in two weeks ago for a stress test, but had a major anxiety attack when they put the electrodes on, because obviously I don't like my heart to race because I know it will then skip. I know they need to see it to see what my heart is doing, yet I couldn't do it. So they sent me to my Dr. to get my anxiety under control before coming back. Talk about embarassing. I'm in awe of you being able to do the regular and nuclear stress test. Just to help you, most people have these pvc's, in fact I think more people have then than people who do not. Unfortunately for us, we feel everyone of them, when most people don't. They are harmless in a healthy heart, and it sounds like yours is healthy. Does your Dr. have you on anything for your anxiety? I am just now taking something, started with Zoloft, but that was horrible, so right now just taking Xanax or Ativan (they gave me both to try, not sure which I like better) for the anxiety attacks. I can try a low dose beta blocker after this if the pvc's don't calm down with the current med. I too get terrified because I have a little boy who I want to watch grow up. I feel like my whole life is evolved around my stupid heart and I would like to feel normal again. I won't even exercise right now because I don't want my heart rate to go up, which I know is dumb because it is very healthy for your heart. Luckily I am not overweight. Anyways, I don't know if this helped or not, just wanted to share my story and let you know your not alone. I will say a prayer for you to find some relief. But just remember that stress alone can bring these pvc's on, or certainly aggravate them. I'm here if you want to talk more. Hugs, Michelle

Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
(female)

KGO HB User

Thank you so much Michelle, I am glad to hear from someone else going through this. It is SOOO scary! My doctor did give me Ativan, and I only take it if I am having these symptoms at night so I can calm down and sleep.

I will feel SO much better if my heart IS healthy, I am just so scared it won't be. I am overweight, (baby fat that never went away, 4 years after my baby) and the siver lining of all this is that I can't bear to eat something fried or fatty now, as all I can think of is how that may affect my heart. So, maybe that is the reason for all of this. I too am afraid to exercise until I find out the results, and in fact my dr. told me not to until we find out.

Don't be embarrassed, you are obviously a strong person after coming to terms with this crazy problem. Thank you again and I'll pray for you to get some relief also.

Too bad when we get a stress-related health problem, that there isn't a way to just take a pill to make the stress (bills, grouchy husband, etc.) go away??

Take care and thanks again!!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

You will have to let me know what your results are when you get them, did your Dr. say when that might be? How does the Ativan work for you? It helps with my anxiety, but I can tell my heart still beats fast and skips, even when I'm mellow. Who knows. It sounds like you have a really good Dr. who is definetely looking out for you. A pill to make the bills and grouchy husbands go away, hmmm, now that would be COOL!! Michelle

Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
(female)

KGO HB User

No, I don't think the Ativan helps w/ my PVC's either, just helps me not go in to a panic attack when they happen. Mine often happen when I am calm, but if something shocks or scares me, they almost always happen! A few days ago I think I had several in a row, more like a racing heart, and that's when I called my dr to ask him to prescribe something.

I like my doctor, but he is really young, is the only concern I have. I have a follow up appt. w/ the cardiologist, where I had my test, in 1 wk. They said they would call if there are abnormal results before then though. So, if I see that office's number on my caller ID - you KNOW I am going to have some major PVC's just reacting to that alone before I even hear the results!

If you need to have a stress test, don't let it scare you. If you are like me, it only takes a few minutes to reach the heart level needed, and it was not bad at all (just brisk walking for less than 10-15 minutes). In fact, I had PVC's today only when resting, but none while actually exercising. Mine are all over the map, they can happen any time.

You let me know also if you find out anything new about your condition. I had never even heard of these kind of heart problems, especially in people our age, before now. We are too young for all this!!

Take care!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

KGO HB User

I just got the results of my nuclear stress test - the results were great with no problems. I am so relieved!

Now we'll see what happens w/ the PVC's - now that my stress will be a lot lower. I still feel them - but at least I am not as panicked as I was.

KG

Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User

Glad to hear you had good results!!!!

cat

Closed Thread