It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #1

Amixtika HB User
Deep breath causes chest pain

Hello, (Male, 20 yrs old)

Occasionally I have been having chest pains (feels like it's my heart) caused by taking deep breaths. It's sort of like breathing makes my chest/heart "seize up". The pain gets worse the deeper the breath, until I fear what will happen if I don't exhale.

It usually occured while I was in a rested state, watching TV or something, but just lately it happend while I was exercising (not as bad as usual, though). It seems to clear once I breathe normally for a while, and is gone completely.

I've had this happen a couple times in the past 2 days. Is this anything to worry about? At first I assumed it was gas, as I have been having problems with stomach acidity/gas lately also.

PS - I don't remember when this started to happen, but it's probably been a rare occurence for a year or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Deep breath causes chest pain

Amixtika,

The one way to differentiate betweeen heart pain and muscle wall/rib pain is to iinhale deeply.
If the inflation hurts, it's NOT your heart.
Try some naproxen (like ALLEVE)...it works pretty well.

It can be as simple as a drop of water in your lungs but it can hut like all Hell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

jeri L. HB User
Re: Deep breath causes chest pain

Every now and then I get a pain while inhaling. It feels like a sharp stabbing pain in my heart that increases with intensity as I continue to inhale. For years I was afraid to continue inhaling and would only shallow breathe until it subsided. But now I finish taking the deep breath. The pain actually peaks and then I feel kind of a warm sensation in my chest, and the pain is totally gone. My cardiologist said it is a common description of what other people with a mitral valve prolapse have. I have a mild mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation. I guess this condition is fairly common. It was discovered with my first echo four years ago. I don't worry about the pain anymore now that I have something to attribute it to. It's very uncomfortable when it happens though. I can't say this is what you're experiencing. Bring it up to your doctor. It could be muscle or lung related like Lenin said.

Closed Thread