It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
(male)

makingsenseout HB User
Can you have a mostly normal heartbeat and have heart trouble?

Just curious..for the most part my heart rate is about 72 sometimes gets down to 63 at night.After I eat It goes up to about 85 for about an hour then drops to 77 and then finally to around 72.I don't seem to have breathing problems and dont get dizzy or lightheaded.I am tired alot but think that I sleep too much .I can't usually get to sleep till 5am and then sleep till about three..in the afternoon.Or could the tiredness be from some type of heart problem?. I do have a slight heart murmur and can hear my pulse in my ear and the murmur which is very disturbing but for the most part my pulse seems pretty normal.I have occassional missed beats and sometimes a little stabbing pain in my upper chest nearer to the bottom of my neck than inbetween my chest ..but it doesn't last too long...When i get around and do things I don't seem to feel bad or out of breath,but do feel tired .I was told there is really nothing wrong with my heart that she could determine but for some reason I have gotten in my mind that my heart is bad.When I was told I had a murmur I didn't know I had one and the doctor say it really wasn't worth noteing,but the fact that I could hear it in my ear first before I went to her...actually that being the real reason I was there was hearing it in my ears...it really bothered me when she told me matter of factly that I had a slight murmur..Now I worry all of the time and for some reason have in my mind that I cannot do the things I used to do.I force myself to even go to town to get food and supplies..I make myself do the laundry and things around the house but I don't stand up and exercise like I used to.I used to walk in the yard for 30 to 40 minutes a day...but now find myself copping out due to worry...So can you have high blood pressure with regular pulse and also have heart issues and don't know it ? Please advise..worried...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Can you have a mostly normal heartbeat and have heart trouble?

Hi,

Yes, you can have heart issues and a "normal" heart rate at specific times.

A heart murmur is a sound heard as blood flows through the heart valves. I have moderate-severe mitral valve regurgitation, and present cardio doc says he can barely hear the sound of interest.

Over the years I have had several physical exams and only one doctor about 25 years ago stated I had a murmur, but don't worry. The sound could have been slight and missed over a period years. I don't know.

If you have a valve issue where there is back flow of blood into the receiving chambers, that would compromise the blood put into circulation. With a low output but sufficient blood into the areas of priority (brain, heart, etc.) the skeletal muscles and other areas receive less blood causing fatigue. However, if you have heart pains that could indicate the heart isn't receiving sufficient blood during specific times.

You should at least get an echocardiogram to rule out any serious valve problem. An EKG and stress test if warranted.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User
Re: Can you have a mostly normal heartbeat and have heart trouble?

makingsense...i agree with kenkeith... i am a firm believer in that if you have been told you have a murmur you should definately get an echocardiogram done. Maybe you are getting worried about nothing, but at least you will know and you might be able to put this at rest for you. There are a lot of undiagnosed heart problems that go undiagnosed and cause harm, but on the other hand there are a lot of murmurs that are purely innocent. Have you checked your blood pressure lately or at times when you feel tired?? Also something else i would recommend.

Closed Thread