It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
What is SVT?

I just got diagnosed from my holter monitor with SVT, and I need to see a cardiologist. I am 35, healthy echo, healthy ekgs, previous holters showed pac's and pvc's, which I was told to live with. Lately, my heart rate has been racing with skip beats, so they redid another holter and it showed the svt this time. Can anyone help me, as I am a very panicky person, and this is scaring me. Thank you, Michelle

Old 10-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User
Re: What is SVT?

miche, there has been MANY discussions on here in the last 2-3 pages about SVT. Some good discussions about anxiety related SVT as well. I encourage you to look at them, i am sure they will help you a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

miche,

Supra-ventricular tachycardia is a heart that races from a cause OTHER than the ventricles. THe differentiation is made becasue VENTRICULAR tachycardia is deadly serious but tachycardia originating from other places is usually far more benign.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thank you guys for your help. I did try to read through some previous posts. I guess I'm just extremely scared. I have bad panic disorder, and when I've had my panic attacks, that is when my heart would usually do the racing/skip beats. On my holter results, it showed - "Two brief episodes of SVT, heart rate 154. Exercise induced? Otherwise normal 24 holter study." I did make my heart race but running, and when it starts getting up into the 130's, my anxiety seems to kick in and that's when the heart usually races, so I did that for my holter, and as soon as I felt it do it, I immediately quit running and sat down, which brought it down right away. Also, is the only way to tell what kind of SVT by doing an EP study? I guess I'm just not ready mentally or financially to do this study if there is any other way. Plus the risks no matter how small really bother me, even though I have read very successful stories too. Thank you guys for any input, I really appreciate your time. Michelle

Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User

miche... here is my personal opinion and take it solely as that. If your "SVT" is debilitating and not successfully controlled by medications than yes do the EP study. However, I highly recommend you try some medications. There are many medications out there that you can try, both to help control your anxiety and/or to slow your heart rate down. If this is something that you can try to work through without having a procedure, then do whatever it takes. If you have an extra pathway in your heart that is causing this "SVT" then yes medications and ablation via the EP study will likely be the only thing to cure or help with this problem. However if your "SVT" is caused by anxiety, then you have to control the anxiety since this is more likely the cause of you SVT. It is a very hard thing to deal with, as I deal with tachycardia day in and day out (although thankfully i dont have the anxiety issues). Be strong and work with your physician. And try to get educated about it, maybe if you can get educated you will be able to feel more comfortable about this problem and be able to control your heart rate when it goes fast with things like relaxation, reducing stress, etc. Also most importantly, this is commonly talked about on here but very important, make sure you have eliminated things that cause high heart rates, like stress reduction, elminate all caffeine, exercise regularly (meaning nice relaxing walks), reduce alcohol. If you do a search on SVT you will come up with many many many website that can teach you about SVT and things to help it. Hope that helps, good luck

Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thank you again for your help. I do appreciate this. I really am trying hard to work through my anxiety, I don't understand what started it again, after so many years. Maybe I've had the anxiety, and just dealt with it. I've had the pac's and pvc's for 6 years, and have been OBSESSED with them. I am very obsessed about my health. Another thing I've really tried working on. Anyways, do you think, and I know this is only your opinion, but do you think that excessive stress/anxiety can actually cause SVT? You mentioned you have tachycardia, is just normal, and what brings yours on, or do you have it all the time without doing anything? Have you done and EP study? Thanks again, I really enjoy being able to talk to someone. Michelle

Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mnmnmnmn HB User

miche.. i said svt in the way that i did with my last post because I personally, and i emphasize personally, do not believe that a heart rate less than 180-200 is SVT. Maybe it is because of how i think of it. The way I have been taught about my tachycardia problem and SVT is that if it suddenly starts and abruptly goes down, so like goes to 200 and then with or without intervention goes down to 80 or something, then that is actual SVT. SVT as I have been told is not something that slowly goes up and then slow comes down, even if your heart rate goes up to the 170's. So with that in mind, NO i do not believe anxiety causes SVT, i do believe it causes a fast heart or tachycardia. I have multiple problems with my heart... I get SVT when i exercise, I have sinus tachycardia in everyday life. I get tachycardic purely from standing up and walking around (like my heart rate will be 100-130with just everyday activities and will be 180 with minimal exertion). However because i am so effected with everyday activities and had true SVT, I had an EP study done and did have an ablation for what they called AVNRT. However they were unable to fix the cause of the general tachycardia, but they did find that i had an extra node creating beats. So I am in the process of trying different drugs and waiting for the physicians to come up with a way to get to this difficult area to ablate. I saw that you posted a new question and in response to that I have tried drugs such as Metoprolol, flecainide, rythmol, cozaar, and sotalol. I also am doing a high salt diet with salt supplements and magnesium. I think honestly from what you have posted that you might be getting upset over not much, but i totally understand your worries. I really encourage you though to work on the anxiety issues. Have you tried xanax?? This might be a drug you could try as a daily medication and /or a medication to take when you get this fast heart rate. I have a friend that is trying that right now who has same symptoms as you. Hope that helps.. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thank you again for your response. I have worked myself up over this. I am taking Xanax right now for the anxiety, although it seems to not make the heart rate go down, even when I feel relaxed. My heart rate resting is about 80, and when I stand up, goes up to 120, sometimes stays, sometime goes away. I will keep my fingers crossed that the Cardiologist will say it isn't true SVT. My Dr. made me anxious when she read the report and said that if I can't get them under control, then to go to the ER, and in the meantime I need to see an Cardiologist/EP Dr., who she is making an appointment with right away. Then, to make matters worse, one of my friends is a heart nurse, and she read the holter report, said there were 56 couplets, and one run of SVT, for only 6 beats. I know when that happened, I made myself run to bring the heart rate up so they could see what I meant about it skipping when it gets too fast. Soon as it started skipping, I immediately stopped running and sat down and it stopped. She said I need to get an EP study done right away, and get it ablated.
So, I dont know, I know I have a severe anxiety disorder, but it doesn't help when people tell me I need to get seen asap. I am trying very hard to not overreact. Thank you again for your advice. I do appreciate it. Michelle

Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche31
Again, thank you so much for your stories. I have been stressing myself so bad this whole weekend, thinking about a hundred things. I am so scared of an invasive procedure, and not to mention that I'm flat broke with no insurance.
LeeAnn, why are you wearing the monitor? How fast was your heart rate up to? And, did or does your heart seem to skip when it's faster? My holter showed 56 SVT couplets, but only one run of SVT of 6 beats. My hr was 154.
CirusSquirrel - Do you have SVT? Why are you on beta blockers? Have either of you had the EP study done?
I hate anxiety, because who knows what is causing what. The only time I have really fast episodes (150 up) is from either panic attacks or vigorous exercise/running up stairs. And then it doesn't last longer than 5 minutes, and I don't think it has ever gone up to 200, except for only once 4 months ago. I was woken up suddenly in the middle of the night by a phone call, which I didn't get in time, and the next thing I know is my hr was sky high, skip beats, and couldn't catch my breath. Husband took me to the er after 15 minutes, but by the time I got there, 20 minutes later, it was down to 120 and they said nothing was wrong and sent me home.
One other thing, since all this has anxiety/ heart racing problem started in the last 6 months, I have been very hot, and that causes my hr to increase if I get too hot. My temp is always around 97.9 - 98.5, but I am still hot. Is this anxiety you think or could I be sick from something and that is what causes the SVT. Also, can svt be caused from uncontrolled stress? Thanks again guys!! I very much appreciate having someone to talk to. Michelle
Hey Michelle. I figured since your post on the anxiety board was closed I would respond to you on this thread. (Sorry if I confused anyone else for bringing in another post.) I was wearing the holter monitor just to see what my crazy heart does all day long. Ever since I have been on beta blockers I keep feeling what are probably PVCs. Before the beta blocker, my heart rate would be 120-140 for no reason. Now, it is usually between 60-80 and sometimes even lower (which I hate!!!). I can exercise now and my heart rate usually goes up to like 150, but then it goes down pretty quickly after I stop. I actually feel the skips, etc. when my heart rate is lower, rather than when it is higher.

No, I have never had an EP study done. My cardiologist keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my heart, so I know he certainly won't send me for one. He just can't explain why my heart rate varies so much. So I'm like you - I don't know if anxiety is causing all of my heart issues, or the other way around. It stinks!

And like I said in the anxiety post, make sure a cardiologist looks at your holter results before you really start worrying about SVT. It may very well be SVT, but it may just be plain ole sinus tachycardia.

I'm pretty much obsessed with my heart lately too, so I'm here if you want to talk. (Or over on the anxiety board.) Feel better!

LeeAnn

Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hi LeeAnn, thanks for coming to this board and talking. I will try to not worry, I'm wearing myself out with the anxiety. I guess I'm just tired of them wanting to do this and do that to me. When you were called in on the monitor for SVT, what was the heart doing at the time and what was the rate? I'm just curious. The Dr. that did my holter test is an internist, and my mom (who is an RN) said that he is pretty darn reliable. She said that if it wasn't him doing the test, she would question the SVT herself. Still, I'm hoping. I wish I was stronger mentally. Everything scares me. The only times I get these is during anxiety attacks and when I exercise, but I get panicky when I feel my heart rate elevating, so then it seems it makes it go high there too. Michelle

Old 10-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

I just got dx with mitral valve prolapse month ago while in the hospital for something else i started running hr of 188 bpm and it scared me to death. dr said i had svt's and he has put me on beta blocker also i have always had a fast heart rate and he says this will keep my hr down and should prevent the svt's from happening again. it is a very scary thing though.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche31
Hi LeeAnn, thanks for coming to this board and talking. I will try to not worry, I'm wearing myself out with the anxiety. I guess I'm just tired of them wanting to do this and do that to me. When you were called in on the monitor for SVT, what was the heart doing at the time and what was the rate? I'm just curious. The Dr. that did my holter test is an internist, and my mom (who is an RN) said that he is pretty darn reliable. She said that if it wasn't him doing the test, she would question the SVT herself. Still, I'm hoping. I wish I was stronger mentally. Everything scares me. The only times I get these is during anxiety attacks and when I exercise, but I get panicky when I feel my heart rate elevating, so then it seems it makes it go high there too. Michelle
Hey there. My heart was just racing at the time I made the recording. I think I clocked it at about 140. The technician at the monitoring service called my cardio's office and told them I had SVT. When the fax actually came over to the doctor with the EKG on it he said it wasn't. I totally understand your fears. I'm a total nut when it comes to my heart. Just go see a cardiologist and make sure. From what I understand, a run of SVT every now and then won't kill you. So even if it is SVT, you can probably be treated with beta blockers and that will be it. They will probably give you an event monitor to wear for 30 days to record these episodes. (Hopefully you don't have horribly sensitive skin like I do.) I freak out every day over something my heart does. I can't stand this. I, too, am wearing myself out. I am going to my cardiologist Friday to get the results of my holter monitor. Chances are they won't find anything, as usual. I really need to just believe him that nothing is wrong with me and get over this. Trust me, I do understand your frustrations. Maybe we can get each other through this.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hi girls, I have been taking my Xanax two times a day, only half of .25mg each time. But I am now going to start going up to maybe a 1/3 of a pill and do it 3 times a day. My pharmacist said I can take it 4 times a day and go up to 6mg, so I think my anxiety is not under control yet. I am hoping it will help with the heart rate, but so far, I am a little calm, yet my heart rate is still high. It makes me a little spacey, that is why I was gradually going up in dose. Girls, do you notice any side effects on the beta blocker, and does it make your hr too slow?
teacher2be - Your Dr. didn't recommend you to see a cardiologist or recommend an EP study?
This waiting to see the Cardiologist is killing me, augh! (haha, I guess by that comment it would seem to me that my Xanax isn't working)

Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I take xanax also. It doesn't make my heart rate go down, but it helps me to not worry about it. I take .25mg once or twice a day. I don't really notice any side effects from my beta blocker, but my heart rate sometimes drops to the 40s which I hate! I am not usually symptomatic when that happens so my cardiologist says it is OK. I do, sometimes, get tired. I take a very low dose of bisoprolol. I tried atenolol and I couldn't even function because my blood pressure dropped too low. I was out of work for two days. Every medicine is different for everyone, though, so you will just have to find one that works for you. I wish I didn't have to take the beta blockers at all, but I can't stand the tachycardia.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

LeeAnn, let me know what your cardiologist said when you go see him. I have myself a nut this last week, I won't leave my house, the fear has once again crippled me. I know my mom and my Dr. said just go about doing what you do, and when you get an attack, do your vagal maneuvers. I can do all that, I'm just scared to go see the EP Dr., and scared of what he is going to want to do to me. I dont know why, but the treadmill test scares the heck out of me. I'm so hyperaware of my heart, that I panic if I feel it go up to 140, and how is that going to help me get on that test? Even on Xanax, I'm just constantly thinking about it, even though I'm mellow. This is weird, I don't think the Xanax is helping me yet, maybe I need to take a full .25mg at a time, but then I just want to sleep. All I'm doing is sitting here thinking about my stupid stupid heart! Michelle

Closed Thread