It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
PVCs Increasing...WHY? Also ?s about Metoprolol..

I just dont get it. I was doing SO well. And even on those occasions when I did have the PVCs I would be able to pretty much ignore them. Plus my anxiety was COMPLETELY under control.

I switched from propranolol (20-30mg 4x daily) to metoprolol (50mg 2x daily)about six months ago. I felt great. Much less PVCs and less shortness of breath. But now, for the last week or so (even tho my menses is not due for 10 days from today - I usually get an increase right before but not like this) I have been fluttering like crazy. And they seem long..like maybe it is more than one at a time, which I have NEVER had before.

Is it possible I am getting worse? Is it possible that it will improve again on its own? Am I building a tolerance to the med already?? Should the increase worry me - or just take it as everything else when I am told 'you are fine..they wont kill you'?? Will they kill me??? Does it matter if they are PVCs or PACs? Is there any reason to call the Cardio? I would hate to do that. I talk to them way too much and they always tell me I am fine. I just had an event monitor for like 3 weeks about 2 months ago. They said everything looked fine.

I havent been doing anything really different at all. No new meds,teas, foods...I just dont get it.

I will tell you. I will be PO'd like you wouldnt believe if this is just going to keep getting worse. Just when I thought I was feeling ok..normal..in control..not in constant fear..something has to change. UGH!!! I just wanna cry!!!

Also, about Metoprolol...What is the normal dosing range? I take 50 mg twice daily. I wonder if that is a lot or if there is leway there for the dosage to be raised if needed.

Heather, 32 (dx with benign tachycardia 3 years ago)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: PVCs Increasing...WHY? Also ?s about Metoprolol..

I can't answer any of your questions, sorry, but definitely call your doctor with any new symptoms. Who cares if you call too much, call anyway and explain the increase and how they feel different.

Good luck!
Tori

Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Heather,

Your doseage of 50mg x 2 is in the lower range. You can go to something like 100 x 2 or even higher.
Maybe 50 x 4 is something you can try.

Have you ever tried something like 50 mg. atenolol ONCE daily...or 40 mg. nadolol once a day?

Experiment and see if you can't get something that works better.

But give it at least another week to see if things settle down at your old doseage ...sometimes these events seem to come and go with no rhyme or reason.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello Heather and Lenin,
I can certainly relate to your frustrations. I don't care that PVCs or PACs are benign - they are dang hard to simply accept. I started having PVCs in Sept. At first I would have them in 4-6 day cycles and then have 3-5 days off. Now, I am having them constantly. I do mean constantly. I was at the docs for 3 hours on Tuesday and they monitored me then. I told them I wasn't really having many at all but, in fact, I was having more than 10 per minute. My cardio has told me repeatedly that he has patients who have bigimeny PVCs always! He further claims one such patient plays squash 4 days a week. He admits that having a constant and very high rate of PVCs (like mine) is fairly rare but insists it does happen.
I'm going to have a stress test on Monday. If that comes out OK I am going to have to get to work on dealing with these PVCs as just a normal part of me. It will take some time but I guess I can do it. The hard part right now is that I am always waiting for them to stop. I have this head set that they have to stop and - they don't. If I get lucky and the test is normal, I'm going to really work on accepting that the PVCs do not mean I am ill.
I am on Toprol 50 mg at night. So far, it doesn't seem to be helping the PVCs. Is metaproplol another beta blocker? Do you think its worth my trying an different med or are they basically the same? I am completely caffeine free and I don't drink alcohol at all. Oh, I am taking Mag supplemets as well. Nothing seems to make any difference. I just kerflubbity dub......dub along.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

KGO HB User

I'm with Suzy, I have the same issue - my PVC's seem to come and go sometimes with no rhyme or reason - but I have figured out they come almost every time I eat. My doctor said any kind of stimulant can trigger them - thus sugar, caffeine, etc., but also mine come no matter what I eat. Caffeine does seem to make them stronger. I guess if I could just stop eating, I know my episodes would go way down . Until then, I have to get used to my heart jumping around like a jumping bean inside my chest . So much fun!

Anyway, I get mine least first thing in the morning (when it has been longest since I ate or drank, of course).

I too just started on Toprol XL and on my 3rd day, they seem a little weaker but are still there.

My doctor and cardiologist both say these are nothing at all to worry about, once having passed the stress tests, etc. . I really hate it though when they say everyone has them. Yes, I know this, but not everyone has them every few heartbeats, I just don't believe that. I NEVER had them like this (maybe once a month before, and they would only happen one time, and no more) until a couple of months ago. The best way I can understand it is that once your electrical path to your heart gets messed up, it tends to stay that way.

But w/ all our doctors saying the same thing - not to worry, I guess we should. I know we are all trying.

Take care all!!

KG

Closed Thread