It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
(male)

hoosier_guy HB User
Question How can you have a heart attack without blockage?

I was at work and a new girl told us that her 29 yr old boyfriend had a heart attack in Sept.

She said he passed out at work, sent to the ER. The blood test he took came back positive that he was having a heart attack but he had no blockages, no evidence of CAD and no damage from the heart attack.

When I asked her what they thought caused it she said that they did not know and it must have been a panic attack out of control.

Panic attacks do not cause heart attacks. You may feel your having one but your not. She said a week before he had it she could hear (when she laid her head on his chest in bed) his beats slow down, speed up, and she mentioned it to them.

She also said that he was up to 2 packs a day and had beren under a lot of stress.

It's been my understanding that a blockage must be present to cause a heart attack.

Any ideas?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: How can you have a heart attack without blockage?

I do hope someone knowledeable answers your question because I am wondering about this situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
(male)

kmacdona HB User

I think a chemical imbalance in the body can cause heart problems. There are certain chemicals in the body that keep the heart in rhythm. Sodium is one I believe. If these get out of wack, then it can cause problems with the heart.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

A friend of mine had a heart attack, tests came back positive for the enzyme...no blockages, no nothing...BUT...she did have a panic attack and they believe this is what caused the heart attack....

It threw her heart into v-fib I believe....

Apparently one CAN have a heart attack, linked to a panic attack.....this was just last week.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Electrophysiology of the heart requires potassium, calcium and sodium to transmit electrical impulses to contract heart muslce and lack of impulse relaxes heart muscle. The process is referred to polarization and depolarization of the heart chambers.

Also there are channels for the impulse to pass called the left and right bundle branch. Sometimes the channel blocks and the impulse becomes disorganized and/or disrupted. Or the source fails to generate a signal

If the impulses are disrupted, disorganized or fail to be generated from the source, there can be a heart attack. The attack can happen when the impulse is disorganized causing the heart to beat so fast there is inadequate chamber filling and low cardiac output depriving blood/oxygen to the heart. If there is a disruption or no source signal, the heart will not receive oxygen. These are some examples resulting from a electrophysiological aspect causing a heart attack.

There is an inconsistency related to the event referred to as a heart attack. A heart attack, medically referred to as myocardio infarction, is lack of oxygen causing heart muscle to die. If the blood work is positive for an MI, that would indicate necrosis of heart muscle and a damaged heart.

A panic attack can cause weak heart to fail, but that would be from a neurocirculatory perspective that deals with nerves and the vascular system.

Closed Thread