It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
(male)

cool1234 HB User
Heart Enlarge shows on xray

Hello I am new here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the ER for a bad chest cold and I was told that the Exray
shows an Enlarged hart.

This is all new to me does anyone know what an enlarged heart is and if there is any good sites or books to help.

Thanks

Last edited by cool1234; 11-19-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
(male)

Frank79 HB User
Re: Heart Enlarge shows on xray

I am not completely sure about the specifics, but heart enlargement is usually caused by the hearts inability to pump enough blood, thus the heart muscle produces more muscle tissue and enlarges to try and compensate for the lack of pumping volume.

I believe there are a few things that can cause it. If I remember correctly, a virus, drugs, and hereditary issues can cause it to name a few. I am sure there are more though.

As far as where to learn more, browse this site or do a google search for enlarged heart and you will have hours of reading material!!

frank

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
(male)

nicm HB User

Usually an enlarged heart is due to dilated cardiomyopathy, you need to set up an appointment with a cardiologist.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
(male)

Toneman HB User

Cool,

nicm is correct, you should get to a cardiologist to determine that root cause of your enlarged heart. The most common cause is long term hypertension which causes the chambers of your heart to enlarge and the walls to thicken. The result is usually a compromise in your heart's ability to pump blood and refill on each beat as the heart becomes stiff.

You need to see a cardiologist if you do indeed have an enlarged heart.

Good luck,

Tony

Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
(male)

nicm HB User

First make an appointment with a cardiologist and request an echocardiogram. This might be dilated cardiomyopathy butt I am not a doctor.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
(male)

cool1234 HB User

Thanks so much.....

Old 11-20-2006, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

cool,

It can also be a healthy heart that has been well exercised ("athlete's heart.")

DO get a cardiologist's opinion of the size.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool1234
Hello I am new here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the ER for a bad chest cold and I was told that the Exray
shows an Enlarged hart.

This is all new to me does anyone know what an enlarged heart is and if there is any good sites or books to help.

Thanks
There are 3 types of cardiomyopathy. The most frequent (70%) and referred to on this thread is dilated cardiomyopathy. That is what I had 3 years ago and it the result of an overworked heart. The heart enlarges to meet a deficit of blood/oxygen that the normal size heart does not supply.

There many reasons why the normal heart does not supply enough blood can be heart muscle damage, valve regurgitation, valve stenosis (narrow opening), etc. Worst case scenario. Or the heart size may be normal for you.

An echocardiogram would be a better indicator of an enlarged heart and give precise measurements. The other 2 myocardiopathies are due to a congenital defect, and/or heart muscle disease. You can google cardiomyopathy for more information.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

If I've a lot of palpitations since young. Would it consider as a "athlete's heart"? Sound like my heart that has been well exercised too! I've mildly enlarge heart printed on echo and x-ray but no doc concern about that.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Palpitation will not give you an "athlete's" heart!! It can weaken the heart and cause an increase in size to compensate, and if the underlying problem is not successfully treated it can lead to heart failure. Some increase in size enables stronger LV contractions, but an over compensation and a still larger LV decreases strength of contractions and HF.

A fast beating heart due to arrhythmia is not identical to a fast beating heart during an aerobic exercise that strengthens heart muscle and increases the stroke volume at rest (athlete's heart) resulting in a lower resting heart rate. To develop an athlete's heart it REQUIRES a good supply of oxygen from healthy lungs commensurate with a timed aerobic exercise. Just to have a fast HR for a long period of time and even at rest is detrimental causing the heart to overwork.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
(female)

arvc HB User

There are different causes of enlarged hearts all usually being some form of cardiomyopathy as ken keith said. If it was noticed on an x-ray is was probably noticeably larger. You definetly need to see a cardiologist as soon as you can get in. I have an enlarged heart to, but have a unique form of cardiomyopathy. This can be dangerous for you or can be little to worry about, but I would want to hear it from a heart dr. I would not put off seeing the dr; early treatment can leave you with less damage if this is something serious. Better to be safe than sorry! Best of wishes.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
(male)

cool1234 HB User

Thanks for all the help

I went to a doctor that deals with this and to be safe they are going to
do a echocardiogram to see whats going on than the doctor will see whats going on..

Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Echo said is LV enlarged. X-ray didn't said where but just said enlarge heart. My cardio said all normal, nothing wrong. He put all in the file without any concern! It needs to grow to how large then the cardio will care and take action to squeeze it back to normal size? How yours one get back to normal size? Need a doctor to do it? or we can do it by ourselves?

Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika
Echo said is LV enlarged. X-ray didn't said where but just said enlarge heart. My cardio said all normal, nothing wrong. He put all in the file without any concern! It needs to grow to how large then the cardio will care and take action to squeeze it back to normal size? How yours one get back to normal size? Need a doctor to do it? or we can do it by ourselves?

When: Usually, if the heart is not grossly enlargely and no symptoms...just observe and establish a base line and with subsequent procedures determine if there is a trend. Almost everyone will have some enlargement as they age.

If the heart is enlarged (dilated) due to overwork burdened with high blood pressure, excess fluids, fast heart rate, poor muscle contractions, etc., medication can reduce the heart's burden, and if timely, the heart can/will return to normal size.

An echo gives the dimensions of the ventricles and atria. There is an acceptable range for "normal".

Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Yesterday I went to a new cardio for a second opinion. He said the ECG showed I was in V-Fib. Pacemaker change it mode to VVIR is trying to pace out of it. I also have a CT chest scan done there. He said if anything wrong he'll call. The radiologist took my chest X-ray. She said will return it to my cardio with the CT scan. She wants to do the comparision. ????

Last edited by Pika; 11-25-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Closed Thread