It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
Angry SVTs and heart rate of 190 bpm plus

Uggghhh! Just had another episode last night of rapid heart beats. Had just gotten back from an awesome job interview, did some things around the house and wammo! My neck and chest started pounding and when I finally got the blood pressure cuff on me my rate was 191.
I am on meds for this, but I guess it didn't prevent it. I have had similar episodes in the past since I was 19, but in the last year I have had about 5.
Doc switched my meds in January after I had my first episode in five years last December. I have had all the tests in the world and nothing is wrong with my heart.
I can't seem to get a definate answer from my cardiologist why these happen and how to prevent them. I wonder if they are stress induced because actually it seems like when I try to relax is when they start up.
I took 10mg Atenonol and .25mg of Xanax and slowly my heart rate went down to 90 bmp.
Does anyone know why my heart does this? Is there any new information out there on it?

Thanks,
Lyl

Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Re: SVTs and heart rate of 190 bpm plus

Hi lyl, I'm pretty new here, so maybe can't offer much advice. I got diagnosed with svt a month and a half ago. My Dr.'s are all convinced that my svt is anxiety/stress induced. I think that my hormones also induce them too. I get them when I exercise, but I am out of shape, and I get very nervous when I exercise. Also heat, hot showers bring them on. I have been on Inderal and haven't had any, until last night, but I had a stressful evening and was working hard around the house. It only lasted a few seconds tho, thank God. I just started Lexapro, so they are hoping that will help with my anxiety disorder. I know from talking to the Electrophysiologists nurse that they believe if some people with svt can get their stress/anxiety down they can have very few svt episodes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is me.
I too have nothing wrong with my heart.
I wish you luck, I know how frustrating this is. Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Hey Michelle,

I thought you looked familiar from the anxiety board. I keep thinking it is stress too, but to come back from such an awesome interview? Maybe it was the part that the salary was about 10K less than what I was looking for that set it off. And speaking of hormones...guess who reared her ugly head late last night. Panic attacks and SVTs are the worst! I am so glad I found this board because it does help to get things off you chest and to know that your not alone.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Lynne,
Adrenaline induced I guess I should say is what they think causes mine. But you know, being really happy or excited is an adrenaline rush too, have had that happen to me. Doesn't have to be stress that causes adrenaline. I know, svt alone can be horrible, but then add the darn panic attacks on top and it can just mess a person up. My Dr. said svt isn't dangerous, what is bad is how we panicky people perceive them. For me, when I get one, instead of trying to break it or calm down, I freak out and keep it going by hyperventilating and being terrified, which makes the heart race more. I really think as time goes by I will learn to calm my fears more. At least that is what I'm hoping. I started seeing a psychologist, and I hate it, but hopefully that too will get better. I also hope that the Lexapro helps too. The Xanax helps with panic but then I'm in a fog all day and I still have the thoughts in my head, I just physically don't get wound up.
Is your Cardiologist concerned, or ever recommend an ablation? They told me I'm so far down the road with that right now, to work on the anxiety issues first. Being told that helps, because when I first found out, everyone on this board had to keep reassuring me, along with my Dr.'s, that this wasn't a serious condition and ablation is last resort. I couldn't convince myself for at least a few weeks, being a panicky person, I just kept focusing on the "ablation" part, but now I know that I might not ever have to do it, and with counseling, if it ever does get bad enough to have to do it, hopefully I'll be in a better frame of mine.
Any ideas what started yours up again last December?
BTW, I know mine are also induced by my hormones because my pac's and pvc's are horrible during my first week of my period, and my anxiety is horrible too, which makes my heart racey.
Take Care! Michelle

Old 11-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Michelle,

Last December I started to have an SVT when I was going to give a key back to my apartment complex. We had recently bought and moved into a house and the apt complex was being real jerks. I had lived there 4 years and when I moved in the carpet was not new and they were charging me for stains on the carpet. This is after they had told me later that they were going to replace it anyway since I had a cat. Funny to charge someone for stains on a carpet that you plan on ripping up anyway. Stupid! And yes that probably triggered it.
They all started when I was 19 and was twirling and in pageants. I guess the stress and anquish of not winning took its toll then.
Currently my job has became a real pain in the butt and hence my reasoning for looking for a new one. I am bored and doing the same old crap there and it irritates me a lot.
The cardiologist mentioned ablation, but said that since the SVTs don't hinder my ability to function then its probably not for me. Some people have SVTs so bad and for so long that they passout or can't function normally. Its also exploratory and not a definite fix. My sister also has a friend that recently had it done and her SVTs actually came back after while.
I am not to thrilled about going to a therapist, but I have noticed that it has helped.
What dosage of xanax do you take? I take .25mg when needed and it doesn't put me in a fog, but I can tell when it starts working. Yesterday I definately could tell.
I think that my anxiety levels are the worst the week of my period also. I have started an SVT diary to see if they coinside with my period.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Last edited by lylone; 11-21-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Yeah, sounds like yours was maybe triggered by a little stress too. Who knows, sometimes nothing can trigger those stupid svts. I too keep a diary of when I've had them, I think it's a good idea.
I'm thankful to have a forum like this where I can learn about it, and other peoples experiences. I live in a small town, so I don't know too many people that have this. Well, I do know someone in a bank here that just found out she has it. Actually, she was diagnosed 5 years ago, but it just came back this year. She isn't worried about it at all, she said whatever the Dr.'s says to do she'll do. She would actually rather do the ablation than take pills, even tho her svts are not bad either. So, I guess everyone is different. I would rather wait until it was affecting my life, like you said, fainting or not being able to stop them on my own. Right now, it's the anxiety and stress that I have to work on, then just wait and see what my heart does.
I take .25mg of Xanax too, somedays I can't even tell I took it, and somedays it just knocks me out. I started the Lexapro last night, and my Dr. told me yesterday she is going to start weaning me off the Xanax. Jeez, I just started it a month ago. She is one of the Dr.'s who are very much against it. Interestling tho, my psychologist is very much for it, so we'll see what he says when I tell him. I'm not worried because she did give me enough for another month and half, so I'm hoping the Lexapro will surely have kicked in by then. Just hoping it works.
Take Care!
Michelle

Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Michelle,

When I was younger I only took meds when I had an SVT episode and they would be down in 20 minutes or less. The pills would go out of date before I would use them all. I am on pills now for high blood pressure and I know its a result of my weight. I have lost 15 lbs and doc says if I loose another 15 by the time I see him in March then I can probably start weening off them

Closed Thread