It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 02:35 AM   #1
(female)

FallingSnow HB User
Shooting Pain in Middle Chest? Why?

I used to get this weird shooting pain right in the middle of my chest that would come and go from week to week. Well tonight it came back and I don't know what to think! It's like a very sharp struck of pain that will last 4-5 seconds and then go away and reappear just out of no where throughout the day, sometimes it scares the life out of me because it shows up by surprise, and hurts a lot. Anyone ever heard of this or experience it? Is it heart related? If you know anything about this please let me know. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
(female)

julie gibson HB User
Re: Shooting Pain in Middle Chest? Why?

Anything that gives you cause for concern you should seek medical help especially if it has to do with the chest area and pains, it could be something as simple as a muscle, but only a doctor can reasure you of that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

All I can add is that a sharp stabbing pain that comes and goes out of nowhere is not usually realted to the heart...but please mention it to your doctor next visit. He will do an EKG and maybe a bit more.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi FallingSnow,

I have come across many with the symptom you describe. There can be an electrolytical, calcium, potassium, deficiency that will cause an obstruction temporarily and randomly of an impulse or impulses thereby inducing a spasm (sharp pain).

A complete blood test will disclose any deficiencies or abnormal high levels enzymes, proteins, etc. An EKG is an unnecessary expense providing there are no other symptoms or signs as it would not reveal an aberant and random impulse that causes pain.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

kk,

BUT, if one goes into a doctor's office and MENTIONS chest pain, he WILL get an EKG as surely as Christmas will fall in 24 days!

What an EKG will rule out is a past heart attack, some cases of angina.
It will also rule out the doctor's being sued if the patient has a heart attack the next day, an immensely compelling motivation!

Yes, patient WILL most assuredly get an EKG. Whether it's of much use in a GP's office is open to question. I tend to agree with you, it's usually not.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2006 at 04:23 AM.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

I can't agree the first test for chest pain is an EKG. A complete blood test (CBC) is the proper protocol to determine range of chemistry:

For a spasm...determine proper range for sodium needed for transmission of an impulse...potassium for proper nerve and muscle action...calcium for muscular contraction and impulse transmission, etc.

Recording an MI. Troponin tests are primarily ordered for people who have chest pain to see if there has been an MI or damage to the heart as well as other cardiac markers ck, ck-mb or myoglobin. If not in accepted range THEN go for EKG.

The doctor won't receive any early Xmas present from the insurance company when showing complete incompetence, and/or greed by ignoring the generally accepted practice of the medical community.

If one has a charley horse in the right leg, would a competent doctor do an Xray and an angiogram looking for an artery blockage or whatever? Lack of potassium, etc. will cause a muscle cramp and a CBC would be appropriate.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

All that is well and good, KK, but nevertheless what the patient WILL get first if he complains of occasional "shooting chest pains" is an EKG.
First order of business is ALWAYS an EKG, good bad or indifferent...like day following night.

As a teenager I had chest pain: EKG in the E/R.
My first visit with each of my primary providers: EKG.
Every annual physical: EKG
Complained of infrequent angina to GP: EKG (AGAIN!)
Refered to a cardiologist: EKG.
Went to hospital for pre-testing: EKG.
Day of admission for angiogram: ANOTHER EKG.

Now, mind you, NONE of my EKG's EVER shows an abnormality.
(If I think hard, I could come up with several more...oh yeah, an EKG to have an EAR implant!)
I am waiting for my DENTIST to pull out the paste-on leads!

I didn't WRITE the book, THEY did. And they all follow it by rote.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-02-2006 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread