It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
How much Magnesium to take?

I have heard many members suggest magnesium. I currently take a Vit-D/Calcium/Phosphorous/Magnesium supplement twice a day. The mgs are:

Vit D - 266 IU
Calcium - 666
Phosphorous - 300
Magnesium - 266

I also take a daily multi vitamin which has some mgs of these too, but not much.

Does that seem about right??

Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
(male)

Gimli HB User
Re: How much Magnesium to take?

Where you at lenin? We need you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers44
I have heard many members suggest magnesium. I currently take a Vit-D/Calcium/Phosphorous/Magnesium supplement twice a day. The mgs are:

Vit D - 266 IU
Calcium - 666
Phosphorous - 300
Magnesium - 266

I also take a daily multi vitamin which has some mgs of these too, but not much.

Does that seem about right??
Hi Cheers,

A blood test would reveal if your system has normal levels. Calcium s/b 8.5-10.3 mg/dL, phosphorous s/b 2.5-4.5 mg/dL and magnesium. Magnesium helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system and keep bones strong. A deficiency in any can cause heart spasms and arrythmia. The test is always given prior to an EKG for rhythm or spasm treatment or further testing.

It is difficult to make an assessment based on your intake of the elements because there are interaction of the chemicals and everyone has a different constitution. An interaction i.e. phosphorous is closely related to the calcium level with an inverse relationship... increase in calcium tends to decrease phospherus and visa versa.

And calcium is very sensitive to elements such as magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin D levels...and many drugs.

A heart medication (I believe ACE inhibitor) increases potassium level!!

I always have a complete blood test and lipid profile yearly. I do take multvitamen tablets: calcium 200 mg, vitamin 400 LU, potassium 80 mg, phosphorus 48 mg, magnesium 100 mg. The cardio knows and never objected, and I don't have any arrythmia or muscle spasms. I haven't had a sick day in 3 years not even a cold.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think anyone with any heart rhythm should take magnesium.

Since only 1% of the body's magnesium is in the blood (most is in the bones), a blood test is not a good way to ascertain the body's content.

Doseage: Either a daily 250 mg. or 500 mg. dose of any Mg. salt will prevent your going too low. to ascertain the real situation. Taking too much magnesium...like 10 times that doseage will result only in a laxative effect (like epsom salts which is magnesium sulfate hydrate.) It's pretty harmless stuff.

Make SURE that is 250 mg (or 500) of elememental magnesium (on the label) thus you might be taking a much larger tablet of MgO but that is because it is half oxygen. Thus what you want to see on the label is something like:
250 mg. Magnesium (as MgO) or something similar
NOT: 250 mg. magnesium oxide.

Good food sources are fish, nuts and legumes (beans peas lentils peanuts.)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-06-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Lenin. I posted a message in another thread to you about this magnesium stuff, but maybe you didn't see it. You made a comment in that post that everyone should take magnesium except someone with bradycardia. Well because of the 1.25mg of bisoprolol I take (I'm supposed to actually be taking 2.5mg but that makes my heart rate TOO low) my heart rate is usually around 50 all day, except first thing in the morning when it stays around 80. Last night it even dipped into the 40s. I bought some slowmag a couple of weeks ago and now after reading your post I am afraid to take it. Should I stay away from the magnesium for now? I have been eating protein bars for lunch which have some vitamins and minerals in them, and I take a prenatal vitamin (no magnesium in it, though) because I plan on trying to get pregnant within the next year. I have been eating a lot of salads lately because of my new "diet" (high protein, low carb). Maybe I'm getting enough magnesium through food? This stuff is so confusing!

Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
(male)

A10Warthogg HB User
Question Re: How much Magnesium to take?

If I am taking Magnesium Oxide is it the same or do I need just plain Magnesium? Also what doseage would I need to take. I tried finding plain Magnesium but all I could find was with Calcium and I am taking a Calcium channel blocker and didn't know if I should get the formula with Calcium. Do I sound confused or what??

Old 12-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

DO NOT TAKE magnesium Oxide. It's not absorbable. You must take chelated magnesium or magnesium glycinate or some other absorbable formulation.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Mine says Magnesium Oxide and Magnesium aspartate.

I was told any form of Mag besides Carbonate was good and that carbonate was the 'bad' one. I went way out of my way just to find a calcium and mag that were NOT carbonate. I was told that here and by the health store lady who sold these to me - she says this is a great brand and a great supplement. It is by Enzymatic.

Ugh. So much conflicting info all the time. I swear I want to chuck all these pills in the trash. They cost a fortune and I dont know if they are even helping. No I hear it might be bad...ughhhhhhhh.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Cheers, carbonate is also hardly absorbable. You need to get a soluble form of magnesium because they are all much better absorbed than insoluble forms.

Look for chelated magnesium or magnesium glycinate, orotate, or aspartate.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
(male)

kopyone HB User

Hello,
I have been having mild PVC's for about 2 weeks. My Doc put me on Metoprolol 25MG once a day beta-blocker. It helps alot, but still doesn't completely get rid of them.

I want to start taking magnesium supplements. One of them I found, says 250MG Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide and Magnesium Gluconate). Is this ok?

I looked at Wal-Mart and all i could find was 250MG Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide).

The first one was from GNC, and i noticed it had as Magnesium Oxide & Magnesium Gluconate.

Which one is better, or should I find something else?

I also found a Potassium & Magnesium Aspartate 250 at GNC. With 250MG Monomagnesium Di-L-Aspartate & 250MG Monopotassium Aspartate.

Thanks!!

Last edited by kopyone; 12-20-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Leela,

Sorry I missed the post.
Anyone with a heart rate that goes into the 40's should probably not supplement with magnesium. It's a coronary "tranquilizer" of sorts and thus might cause an even more sever bradycardia.

I think the gluconates and and "protein complexes" are just expensive ways for the vitamin shopes to sell magnesium at hundreds of percent markup.
Magnesium Oxide (like Maalox or tablets) or even Magnesium Sulfate (like epsom salts) are just FINE as supplements. You will get an effective amount of magnesium into your bloodstream from either.
Those who want to spend a fortune on "magnesium orotate," "magnesium picolinate," or "magnesium aspartate" or any other fancy formulation are free to do so at GNC, they WILL take your money!

If you want you can buy a bottle of magnesium citrate...the laxative in the green bottle and take a small sip (I haven't done the calculation) every night.

Magnesium compounds are all pretty soluble in stomach acid so there is little reason not to buy for price. There is ONE really insoluble complex salt though which is commonly sold, Dolomite, which is the mixed salt of CaCo3 and MgCo3...don't but this stuff. It is the hard rock the Alps are made of and will not dissolve.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-21-2006 at 05:18 AM.

Closed Thread