It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Chest Pain AFTER exercising

Good morning. I have a question for the "experts" on this board. Over the past year I have had every heart test imaginiable, except for a cath. Everything has been normal except for some sinus tachycardia. I am taking 1.25mg of bisoprolol once a day (AM). My cardiologist told me I need to exercise and I can do ANYTHING I want. I have joined a gym. I do 20-30 minutes of weights and 20 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine (trying to build up to 30 over the next month). Last Wednesday I worked out my chest, shoulders and triceps and then did my cardio. I did not have any pains while exercising, but shortly thereafter my chest started to hurt right in the center. The pain continued for about a day and a half and then went away. Last night I went and worked out my back and biceps and then did cardio. Same thing, no pain while exercising, but now my chest hurts right in the center. I really don't want to call my cardiologist because he will just roll his eyes like he always does and tell me "your heart has been extensively checked and you are fine". Does this sound like anything I need to be concerned with, or is it just my out of shape body responding to new exercise? My heart rate is usually about 50 when I get to the gym and during my cardio I get it up to about 150 in 5 minutes and keep it there for the rest of the workout. Am I overdoing it? I know it should be hard for me to hit my target hr because of the beta blocker, but it seems to get there and then come down pretty quickly when I'm done exercising. I am so frustrated with all of this lately! Thanks in advance for your responses.

I should probably mention that I do have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux, but I take Prilosec OTC daily - per my gastro's instructions. Could this have anything to do with this pain?

I have another question to post, but I think I will start a new thread since it has nothing to do with this. Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
Re: Chest Pain AFTER exercising

Leela,

Have you recently quit smoking? Like in the past 6 months? Is the pain like sharp or burning?
After I exercise (and not during), I get a burning in my chest and usually cough some. It just turned cold and dry up here in ATL and I think its just some chest congestion. I also get a wierd pain sometimes like someone is sticking a knuckle in my chest bone up higher above my breast and doc says its chest wall and congestion.
Some nights after working out I feel achy and like crap, but doc says if bp and heart rate are down and fine then there is nothing to worry about.
My bp and rate have been actually a lot lower after exercise for the past couple of weeks. Oh, and I am still getting that chest burning and cough stuff. I think its the weather....

Lyl

Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Yes, I "quit" smoking on November 10th. The reason I say "quit" is that I have had a couple on the weekends when I have been around smokers. (At least I'm being honest, right?) The pain I get after exercising is pretty much a burning pain. It is just a little bit left of the very center of my chest, right on the edge of my breast. My heart rate goes down pretty quickly after I exercise. How long does your pain last? I exercised at about 8 last night and it still hurts. Last time it lasted for about 2 days. I don't feel congested, but you definitely could be right about that. I haven't been coughing or anything since I quit smoking, and I thought I would. Thanks for your post! It helps me not to worry as much. When you have anxiety like I do, a little soreness can manifest itself into horrific pain.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Typical angina pain comes on while you are exercising and goes away as soon as you sit down and rest (within a minute or two). This is assuming the person has stable angina, not unstable angina. A lot of women, however, do not have (or do not recognize) typical angina, though I did. It felt like no other pain I'd ever experienced. It was a squeezing, heavy, pain kinda like an elephant sitting on your chest. For me, it was also right in the middle of my chest, just below my breasts, and came on with very little exericse, like walking briskly while carrying about 10 lbs. (I did not have a heart attack, but did have a severely clogged -99% clogged - coronary artery).

My advice would always be that if you have chest pain that concerns you (especially if you are a woman and peri-menopausal or menopausal) at least talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. And, if it really scares you or has any of the characteristics of a heart attack, don't ignore it and go to the ER. I've known too many relatively young women (late 40s, early 50s) who died or had disabling heart attacks because they ignored the warning signs.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Just noticed that you said you have a hiatal hernia and reflux...yes, those can cause chest pain. And for whatever little it may be worth, Prilosec seemed to make the pain worse for me, rather than helping, but it may have been a function of drug interactions. It can be hard to tell the difference between these causes and angina, but I'm assured for a variety of reasons I won't bore you with that in this case, it wasn't my heart...and all I know is that it stopped after I stopped taking Prilosec and Zoloft. Now, I just accept anxiety as a reality of life and normal since I know I have heart disease. I'd worry about anyone who had heart disease and was NOT anxious from time to time.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Leela,

It sounds like it is the same pain if its at the top of your breast. Since you have had all the tests on your heart, its probably not your heart. I had a nuclear treadmill test because of this pain after exercising and it ended up being nothing and probably congestion or GERD. I thought it may even be asthma. Nexium didn't help and he checked my lungs and I coughed when I breathed in and out and he said congestion definately. Since you just recently stopped smoking(sort of), I will tell you that I went through about 6 months of congestion, sinus crap and scratchy throat that was pretty awful. I wondered why I quit since I was worse off than when I was smoking. It takes a while for your lungs to get the crud out.
If it still worries you then I would ask for a treadmill test because that would definately tell you something.
I stopped wokring out because of the pain until my cardio told me that there were a lot more people he worried about working out than me and afterseeing people on oxygen and etc in his office, I believed him.
Quitting smoking thought is definately worth it. Haven't had a sinus infection in over a year and don't smell smoky anymore!

good luck,
lyl

Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Last Wednesday I worked out my chest, shoulders and triceps and then did my cardio. I did not have any pains while exercising, but shortly thereafter my chest started to hurt right in the center. The pain continued for about a day and a half and then went away. Last night I went and worked out my back and biceps and then did cardio. Same thing, no pain while exercising, but now my chest hurts right in the center.
Leela,

You have just defined my idea of a good chest workout...no pain, no gain.

Your response is perfectly normal. You are breaking down muscle tissue during a hard workout. You don't feel it at first but the muscle inflames and white blood cells carry away the killed muscle tissue and over the next two days, restructuring of muscles occurs with new (and stronger) muscle tissue.
This process can hurt a lot. Ask AHHH-NOLD!

I've caught myself a couple times saying: "God no, a HEART attack." And then I'm always relieved to remember the bench presses of the day before!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-06-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Lenin,

How do you know all this stuff? Are you a doctor? If not you should look into being one if not a heart issue therapist

Lynn

Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Thanks for the posts everyone. It does help me to not worry so much.

Lenin - you do know a lot. I was hoping you would see my post. I have a question you might be able to answer...I recently started a high protein, low carb diet. I happened to read on the protein powder (I put it in weight control oatmeal for breakfast) that you shouldn't use it if you are on any medications. I would have never thought that about protein. Will this new "diet" have any effects on my heart? I'm getting married in April and I'm really trying to lose some weight. My brother is a body builder and told me the best way to do it is high protein, low carb diet and as much cardio exercise as I can tolerate. But as usual, I worry about my heart, even though I have been told more than once there is nothing wrong with me.

Closed Thread