It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

dizzychick HB User
inverted t-wave

Hi all. i have a question that i hope someone can help me with. i'm 46 and had a cardiac cath done 5 years ago. arteries were clean and clear. well, i had an ekg 2 weeks ago as part of routine physical and was told that i had an abnormal ekg. i have an inverted t-wave and she wants me to see a cardiologist (which i won't cause i'm a bad patient) anyway, what is this t wave thing and is it serious? thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: inverted t-wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzychick
Hi all. i have a question that i hope someone can help me with. i'm 46 and had a cardiac cath done 5 years ago. arteries were clean and clear. well, i had an ekg 2 weeks ago as part of routine physical and was told that i had an abnormal ekg. i have an inverted t-wave and she wants me to see a cardiologist (which i won't cause i'm a bad patient) anyway, what is this t wave thing and is it serious? thanks in advance for your reply.
Hi dizzychick,

T-wave inversion can be the result of electrolyte abnormalities or inflammation...recent illness?

Medication can cause a T-wave inversion.

Worst case scenario:
It can indicate an MI and angina. If an infarction is not full-thickness (heart muscle) there could be T-wave inversion. The condition is described as subendocardial infarction. If full-thickness it would be myocardium infarction.

Ventricular enlargement could produce a t-wave inversion. The lead would distinquish which ventricle.

I had a similar situation where I was hospitalized with congested heart failure. No symptoms until pulmonary edema. A subendocardial infarction can be a serious problem as your heart will lose its ability to adequately contract due to muscle damage. Medication can help reduce heart size (sometimes not), and help the heart pump stronger (if heart muscle damage).

Untreated may lead to heart failure. Follow your doctor's suggestion and see a cardio. There can be a serious problem and no symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kenkeith, could you tell me what is the name or what kind of Medication can help reduce heart size? My heart showed mildly enlarge at the chest X-ray. Dr don't care and said nothing wrong. Send me home, no medication, he said wasn't need treatment. Now I just stay home and wait for it "POP"??? Very upset! Please tell me.......

Pika

Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hi dizzy,

I would force myself to see a cardiologist. It is likely you need a good evaluation of that T-Wave anomaly. It's not innocuous.
Quote:
Two consecutive series of patients with a T wave asymmetry ratio of 2.0 or greater have been studied. Patients with bundle-branch block or who were on digoxin or a similar drug were excluded. In 50 of the 69 patients, the heart was examined either by echocardiography or by direct inspection. Sixty-one of the 69 patients had diseases commonly associated with left (or right) ventricular hypertrophy and/or dilatation. The remaining eight patients had clinically pure ischaemic heart disease. Of the 50 hearts examined by echocardiography or direct inspection (including six with pure ischaemic heart disease), 49 were found to have abnormal thickness of the left (or right) ventricle, or increased end-diastolic left ventricular diameter, or a combination of hypertrophy and dilatation. In 12 of the 47 patients with left ventricular hypertrophy or dilatation, the electrocardiogram did not satisfy the Sokolow and Lyon voltage criterion of left ventricular hypertrophy.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika
Kenkeith, could you tell me what is the name or what kind of Medication can help reduce heart size? My heart showed mildly enlarge at the chest X-ray. Dr don't care and said nothing wrong. Send me home, no medication, he said wasn't need treatment. Now I just stay home and wait for it "POP"??? Very upset! Please tell me.......

Pika
If one's heart enlargement is due to an "overworked" heart, as an example, the cause may be the heart is pumping against a high resistance of the arteries (measured by systole pressure). Also, a fast heart rate can and does overwork the heart. With less work and right circumstances the meds will reduce remodeling.

Medication is an ACE inhibitor and beta blocker. It will dilate vessels and lower resistance. Coreg (beta blocker) slows heart rate and assists in dilating vessels in conjunction with the ACE inhibitor.

Not all heart enlargements are due to overwork, but if it is, it is important to treat. Otherwise there will be a progression of heart size to size that seriously impedes heart contractions and there is heart failure.

Sometime as a person ages, there is going to be some slight enlargement and not pathological. The progression of size, if any, may not be an issue.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kenkeith, I don't know my heart is overworked or underworked but I want my heart normal like everyone else! I'll asked the new cardio Dr next month during my visit. Thanks for answering my post.

Pika

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kenkeith, I don't know my heart is overworked or underworked but I want my heart normal like everyone else! I'll asked the new cardio Dr next month during my visit. Thanks for answering my post.

Pika

Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kenkeith, I don't know my heart is over-worked or under-worked. I ask my new cardio in the next appointment which is next month. Thanks for answering my post.

Pika

Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kenkeith, I don't know my heart is over-worked or under-worked. I ask my new cardio in the next appointment which is next month. Thanks for answering my post.

Pika

Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
(female)

dizzychick HB User

Oh, And Did I Also Mention That My Bp Runs About 124/78. I Also Have Anxiety Disorder And I Get Chest Discomfort But I Attribute That To Anxiety.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Sorry for the multiple post. It said didn't go through but it did. It turns up now!

Closed Thread