It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Jen32 HB User
Is this a "palpitation"?

I have had this for about 6 years... but everyone describes palpitations differently. Most I hear are of racing hearts, or skipped beats... maybe that's what I'm experiencing too.

When it happens to me, it's almost like my heart beats a couple of times, really fast... I feel it in my chest and throat... and then it *thumps* HARD a couple of times as well. It really takes my breath away (more so, I'm sure, from being scared) and sometimes makes me cough. Then, it's over.

Does anyone else experience this? I've had this problem on and off for 6 years. I've had cardio work-ups in the past, and I do suffer from anxiety. When I was pregnant, I had episodes where this happened several times in a row, and the docs just said it was "normal" to experience this during pregnancy. Now that I'm done having kids, I still experience these a few times a week. And, they still scare me very bad! I complain, and I'm driving my doc and my husband crazy!

Is this the way *palpitations* feel for anybody else?

Old 12-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: Is this a "palpitation"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen32
I have had this for about 6 years... but everyone describes palpitations differently. Most I hear are of racing hearts, or skipped beats... maybe that's what I'm experiencing too.

When it happens to me, it's almost like my heart beats a couple of times, really fast... I feel it in my chest and throat... and then it *thumps* HARD a couple of times as well. It really takes my breath away (more so, I'm sure, from being scared) and sometimes makes me cough. Then, it's over.

Does anyone else experience this? I've had this problem on and off for 6 years. I've had cardio work-ups in the past, and I do suffer from anxiety. When I was pregnant, I had episodes where this happened several times in a row, and the docs just said it was "normal" to experience this during pregnancy. Now that I'm done having kids, I still experience these a few times a week. And, they still scare me very bad! I complain, and I'm driving my doc and my husband crazy!

Is this the way *palpitations* feel for anybody else?
Hi there,
You are right, "palpitation" can mean different things to different people.

What you describe definitely fits into my definition of a palpitation, for sure!

It has been said that hormone fluctuations (among many many other things) can cause them.

I suffered from the VERY occasional palpitation until I was 39 y.o. Since then, I have them every day. I've had every test you can imagine, and nobody knows why I have them.

Some doctors say Anxiety & Stress can cause them - so try to see if that's where yours stem from, and try to work on relaxation in order to ease them.

Hope that helps a bit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

I'm with zosolizard on this one. I have been told more times than Icare to remember, that any disturbance in the heart rythym is a palpitation. This is just what I've been thold. I do have varying degrees of PVC's and now days I've ben having Pac's. I hate them all. VERY VERY MUCH! Life sure would be a lot nicer if these had never appeared to me! ha./. But ............

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 AM   #4
(female)

arvc HB User

A palpatation can be exactly what you described. I have them from time to time and it feels like my heart is flopping(thats what I call it). Mine usually follows with a my pacemaker going off or my defib. Mine is absolutely from a heart condition. I would say if a dr could see one of those times on an event monitor or a 24 hr monitor they would know more about it. If your dr seems to think that they are nothing serious, I wouldn't worry to much, but if you have more concerns, address that issue with your dr more. Some drs will try to put heart problems off, especailly with women, and say you are stressed or it's anxiety, when it may not be. I think that response is just typical until they find something wrong. Listen to your body and what it tells you.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
(male)

seanmalachy HB User

jen 32

i have the exact same thing as you have and i also suffer from anxiety really bad. im curently waiting to see a cardioligist to have a 24hour ECG done and i am petrified that i wont make it till then even tho its only on monday. i went to AandE the ohter day cause i thought i had some kind of heart defect and that i was going to die or have a heart attack and they did an ecg and said i have a slight iregularity in my heart rate and now im even more scared i dont know what to do till monday im terrifyed

Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

godsproperty000 HB User

from my experience....FOLLOW THRU AND DONT ACCEPT "YOU'RE NEUROTIC" AS AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER. stress and worry doesnt cause these beats as much as the other way around. Then youre in a vicious cycle. Find out the source of the problem..ie mvp or blockage or some other minor problem and seek repair...then take your meds (and a lil xanax now and then doesnt hurt lol) and dont worry. It has always been in my mind that these weird beats are "normal". I've had my heart all my life and it didnt start beating that way until I got in my late 30's.. and then I found out there was a real reason as to why it was beating that way..and it wasn't "normal". May not kill ya... but NOT "normal".

Last edited by godsproperty000; 01-19-2007 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

Hummm...interesting.

I'm a 33 YO Female, for past couple of years I've noticed off and on with more so recently, my heart "skipping" feeling a "throb" in my throat, almost like it stops (my heart) beating then kicks in. I noticed last night, laying down watching TV in bed, my heart was racing.....I had no stress, nor anxiety, unless that is something that can happen subconsiously???

Talked to my doc about it a year ago, after having what felt and was diagnosed as and anxiety attack...same thing, in bed, watching TV, couldn't breathe, felt like my heart was going 1,000 miles an hour...very strange and something that had never happened before. I have an appt next week in which I'm going to discuss all of this with her, I don't want to be one of those "young ones who dies of heart failure".

It's funny too...I had a lump removed from my breast 6 years ago, my mother had breast cancer and survived, so even though the results were fine and it was okay, my doc (who since retired) sent me to see an oncologist, just to be safe..he told me "I'm honestly not worried about cancer, no one in your family has had hereditary type cancers, it's your heart that concerns me the most, due to your fathers young death".

So, if that is the case.....WHY ON EARTH won't anyone do tests to be SURE there is nothing underlying there?

My problem is.....my father died very suddenly at 39, I was just a baby. They didn't do an autopsy, but said it was a heart attack. Due to my age, regardless of my history, I haven't found a doc that wants to do tests (which would ease my mind greatly as I've got 2 children). The insurance company doesn't want to pay, I'm too young to have heart problems...I'm normal weight, height etc. I work at home with relatively low stress.

I have also noticed, more so lately as it's been years with this happening, that any type of exertion causes my head to pound, like a big head rush. If I bend over, same thing...head is like "swish, swish, swish". I'm wondering if there is any connection between the two....I've also been a headache/migraine sufferer for over 18 years now.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
(female)

godsproperty000 HB User

I was also told "I was too young" at 40 to have the cath done and to have heart problems. I passed all cardiac tests as well. But I still felt something was wrong. So I found a younger Dr who doesnt like to take chances and had me sent to the ER to do a cath later that day and found a 90% blockage. In my opinion, the older drs are old school and set in their ways and tend to generalize, when the younger drs are more apt to not take the risk of brushing you off and lumping you into the anxious, too young, nothing is wrong with you, get over it group. Younger drs know that today heart disease takes over people at a much younger age. ( you can thank all that crappy fast food we love to consume and the lack of exercise we all get) So find a dr that will take you seriously according to your symtoms and not your age!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

"Palpitation" is a clumsy old word that can mean tachycardia, missed beats, multiple beats, HARD beats...or even shortness of breath.

It's probably best dispensed with except for old movies where the rich dowager, having been told her daughter is marry somebody POOR, holds her lace handkerchief to her mouth and stumbles for a chair compalining of "palpitations."

Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
(female)

Jen32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwarbur View Post
I was also told "I was too young" at 40 to have the cath done and to have heart problems. I passed all cardiac tests as well. But I still felt something was wrong. So I found a younger Dr who doesnt like to take chances and had me sent to the ER to do a cath later that day and found a 90% blockage. In my opinion, the older drs are old school and set in their ways and tend to generalize, when the younger drs are more apt to not take the risk of brushing you off and lumping you into the anxious, too young, nothing is wrong with you, get over it group. Younger drs know that today heart disease takes over people at a much younger age. ( you can thank all that crappy fast food we love to consume and the lack of exercise we all get) So find a dr that will take you seriously according to your symtoms and not your age!!!
This is exactly what freaks me out! But it's hard for me to reason all of this, since I've had these palpitations for 6 years... and I don't get short of breath or anything with them... just scared.

Do you think it's safe to say after this many years that it's probably nothing wrong with my heart? I have some major anxiety over this and want to get to the bottom of it so I can just deal with it!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

went to my doc yesterday.

She put me on beta blockers, for the heart palps and I also have a history of chronic headaches and migraines...so we're hoping it will help both.

She diagnosed me with Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia, apparently a common thing in 30's and 40's females...but she also told me not to freak out about it.....I'd be okay :-) Doing an EKG to be safe in a couple weeks as well.

good luck!

Oh..she said also, holding my breath and doing carotid massage (one side of the neck at a time ONLY) helps too with current symptoms.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Do you need to feel skipped beats or what is a palpitation? Say if i get up and my heart is beating faster and harder than normal and i can feel it is that a palpitation? I don't notice any skiped beats, or pounding, but useually i can't feel it, but some times i can, sometimes i am moving around quick and it the same thing i decribed before happens. Or is this not much to worry about?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
(male)

PghPanther HB User

Some advise to all of you.......

There are many symptoms and varying issues with palpitations..........some are harless, others can point to a disorder or underlying heart disease.

I suggest this approach to any of them.....

See you doctor and get an EKG.........if that shows nothing wear a 24 hr monitor and/or an event monitor to capture what you are experiencing.....

Once they capture that then have your doctor refer it to a cardiologist....

They can determine the extent and what treatment if necessary would be implemented.

I hope this helps.......

Closed Thread