It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

mimiof3 HB User
Magnesium..???

I was told by my cardiologist totake magnesium. He said "just take the store brand or whatever." Well, Iwas in one of the MAJOR stores, and asked the pharmacist ASSISTANT why none was on the shelves. She found some behind the counter that reads MAGNESUM OXIDE 400 mg tablets. She asked the pharmiasist if it was ok, and she said yes. i wish i hadn't bought it now. LENNIN... please respond.. I read another posts of yours that says not to take this . If it says "Oxide." I don't think you meant it was dangerous or anything. It was only 6.15 for 120 tablets, so I'm not out much money. What do you al think? What is a bottle of Magnesium supposed to say??

Old 12-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Magnesium..???

I think it's perfectly FINE mim.
I take the same thing.

It's Timber who thinks that the magnesium from the Oxide is not absorbed well enough. I think it provides exactly what's needed and probably at a nice slow rate.

Take one-a-day on an empty stomach (when the stomach is most acid) and I think you will be happy with what you bought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

Thanks so much!!! So glad you 're on this site!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

This appears to be the point of disagreement between Lenin and I. I firmly believe that mag ox is very poorly absorbed. It's not dangerous (other than causing diarrhea) but is not well absorbed either. More than one clinical research trial has found that mag ox is not well absorbed.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

OH ME!!!!!!!!! I must call my doc...because I really value BOTH of you..as you both seem to know so much on everything...Thanks.. Mimi

Old 12-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mimi,

Let your doctor be the tiebreaker. You cannot use the internet for comparing mineral supplements because the ads and the misinformation are too rife. EVERYBODY is looking for a way to sell expensive chelated versions of common minerals. A good rule of thumb is the higher priced the "supplement" the more likely the misinformation.

If I look hard enough I'm sure I can even find someone pushing Sodium Gluconate or Sodium Aspartate because of a claim that we don't absorb enough sodium from our SALT!

From the National Institute of Health (U.S. Government):
Quote:
Several small studies suggest that magnesium supplementation may improve clinical outcomes in individuals with coronary disease. In one of these studies, the effect of magnesium supplementation on exercise tolerance, exercise-induced chest pain, and quality of life was examined in 187 patients. Patients received either a placebo or a supplement providing 365 milligrams of magnesium citrate twice daily for 6 months. At the end of the study period researchers found that magnesium therapy significantly increased magnesium levels. Patients receiving magnesium had a 14 percent improvement in exercise duration as compared to no change in the placebo group. Those receiving magnesium were also less likely to experience exercise-induced chest pain [53].

In another study, 50 men and women with stable coronary disease were randomized to receive either a placebo or a magnesium supplement that provided 342 mg magnesium oxide twice daily. After 6 months, those who received the oral magnesium supplement were found to have improved exercise tolerance [54].

In a third study, researchers examined whether magnesium supplementation would add to the anti-thrombotic (anti-clotting) effects of aspirin in 42 coronary patients [55]. For three months, each patient received either a placebo or a supplement with 400 mg of magnesium oxide two to three times daily. After a four-week break without any treatment, treatment groups were reversed so that each person in the study then received the alternate treatment for three months. Researchers found that supplemental magnesium did provide an additional anti-thrombotic effect.
The primary advantage of the oxide is that it is the CHEAPEST formulation and it had the greatest proporton of the molecule as MAGNESIUM (60%) as opposed to the citrate (16%.)
IF you want the citrate buy a 10 ounce bottle of citrate of magnesia for a buck and take a tespoonful a day. That's pretty reasonable.

But DO steer clear of those $20+ bottlefuls of various fancy amino acid chelates, there are a million of them. There's no reason to buy them for a mineral as readily soluble as magnesium.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-28-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

michigander64 HB User

I found that my heart rate actually went UP when I took Magnesium and I took the Chelated Calcium Magnesium. Was I wrong to take Magnesium with Calcium? Also I only paid $6.83 for 100 tabs of the Natures Bounty brand.

Last edited by michigander64; 12-28-2006 at 08:00 PM.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigander,

Their product naming is a little deceptive:

Quote:
Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate,Oyster Shell and Calcium Gluconate) 1,000 mg 100%

Magnesium (as Magesium Oxide and Magnesium Gluconate) 500 mg 125%
As you can see the MAIN source of the the Magnesium is the OXIDE.
I don't like taking calcium and magnesium together for one reason...if they form the magnesium-calcium carbonate complex in your stomach (dolomite) it is EXTREMELY insoluble and wastes both supplements.

I think selling this stuff as the CHELATE is deceptive: there's nothing chelated about Calcium Carbonate, oyster shells or MgO.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-10-2007 at 04:21 AM.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

so..what do you all suggest??? doc only said to take 400 mgs. of magneseum in the morning on an empty stomach.. but i also take aciphex for gerd...and it says on goodle not to take magnesium with antacids.. i think i will jsut skip the magnesim.. i actually tried it about 7 yrs. ago. and it didn't do a darned thing for me.. i am just desperate...

Old 12-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

So I'm reading that you say to take Magnesium on an empty stomach, but on the bottle of MaxOx that I am taking it says to take the pills with meals. I wonder why?

Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

I know! I'm just about wishing my cardiologist had never brought it up to me. I could ask 5 different ones, and I bet I would get 5 diff. answers. I am actually trying to re-think if he REALLY did say empty stomach...I DO KNOW he said in the AM.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

I know! I'm just about wishing my cardiologist had never brought it up to me. I could ask 5 different ones, and I bet I would get 5 diff. answers. I am actually trying to re-think if he REALLY did say empty stomach...I DO KNOW he said in the AM.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnesium Oxide on an empty stomach dissolves best because of the highly acidic environment. BUT in dissolving and reacting with stomach acid it can cause some gurgling.
With FOOD it will not dissolve as readily and thus absorption will be lessened and no gurgling.
Food neutralized acidity,

I prefer the empty stomach route.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #14
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

Hey everyone...I didn't ever start the Magnesium. I will ask my cardiologist Tuesday when I call them and ask his opinion on it. i will let you al know what he says. But then again, a different Cardiologist will probably have adiff. answer...just like all of this board!!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #15
(female)

Catherine21 HB User

I took a magnesium pill yesterday at about 8:30 pm. Bad idea. An increased heart rate and palpitations lasted through the night. I thought magnesium was supposed to regulate the rhythm. I couldn't sleep the pill gave me so much extra energy. Obviously, my body wasn't lacking magnesium.

Closed Thread