It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
(male)

halenfan25 HB User
Swollen shins and feet

Alright, first I'll say that I'm extremely overweight, and alot of the weight is in my legs. Second, my feet have swollen(changed color) and my shin got swelled up and had this rashing looking thing.

Here is the deal... I sit alot and this causes most of the problems. Being that I'm overweight, it feels as if my blood circulation get's messed up when I sit for long periods of time. Not just in my legs, but my arms will also hurt.

Also, my shin was once really puffy and dark looking when I wore socks. Leasions (spell?) also developed. However, now I wear sandals and no socks and the swelling has gone down ALOT and the dark color has gone away for the most part. Also, I haven't developed any more of these leasions since I got rid of the socks.

Is this just a weight problem? If I avoid sitting for long periods of time, drink water and lose weight it seems to help alot. Is this a case of me being really overweight and just needing to lose weight?

My heart seems to beat normal most of the time, so I don't know if it's a heart problem... I used to have shortness of breath and panic attacks... But those improving with my weight loss. I'm probably at 350 pounds and 5'9 so I'm big time overweight. I don't have any chest problems or anything though.

I've always been overweight, but I never had any of these problems until I got badly overweight. As I lose weight, the problems seem to improve.

Also, I should note the swelling goes way down (but not all the way) when I go to bed and wakeup. Mainly it starts to swell back up when I sit down for anytime.

My feet... They're are some swollen and they hurt some... However, when I stopped wearing socks the swelling reduced by atleast 50-60 percent. So, I'd say socks atleast played a big part in making this problem worse.

The reason I stopped losing weight was before I stopped jogging and stuff due to the heat down here. I know somebody my size shouldn't be jogging in 95 degree weather.

On top of all this, my joints tend to pop alot... Which leads me to believe my weight and lack of working out is the cause for most of these problems.

What do you think?

Last edited by halenfan25; 01-07-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Swollen shins and feet

Yes, I think you're right in assuming most of your problems are attributed to being overweight.
All that extra weight puts an immense burden on your heart. I would say the swelling your experiencing is in direct relation to your weight and stress on your bodies systems.
I am a little concerned that you mention your shins have a rashlike appearance, I suggest you see your doctor because this could be a cellulitis you're developing which would definitely require treatment.
Swelling to extremities does improve when in bed, I recommend that you sit in a recliner with the foot rest elevated during the day as much as possible. Elevating extremities also decreases swelling , and be sure to cut down your salt intake too.
I know alot of your problems will resolve as you continue your weight loss.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
(male)

halenfan25 HB User
Re: Swollen shins and feet

I standup alot also... So a heavy burden is on my legs. Like I said, I've always had a weight problem... But never had these kind of problems until I really put alot of weight on.

The rash thing gets alot better when I lay down alot and the blood flow is no interupted. But if I sit alot, it tries to get worse again. Also, I do believe it goes further than just my shins. If I sit too long, I'll feel like crap all over and have a tough time sleeping.

I know I got to continue to lose weight. It's not just that I'm probably 350 pounds, but I'm short on top of it.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
(male)

halenfan25 HB User

My legs don't have a heavy feeling unless I sit down for long periods of time. It's amazing how it improved during the months that I walked on a daily basis. Granted, I didn't do a whole lot... 30 minutes of walking, but that little bit helped out alot.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

halenfan,

Keep up the weight loss; better yet speed it up.

Ask your doctor to prescribe a diuretic...a lot of that lower body swelling is probably edema. Lasix is particularly good...like 40 mg. taken twice a day (total 80 mg.) especially if your BP is high (bet it IS?) Are you taking any BP meds now?

Ask your doctor specifically to rule out cellulitis caused by improper lymphatic flow...that can be very dangerous.

Are you diabetic?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
(male)

halenfan25 HB User

Well, I've had swollen legs for years, but it never became a huge problem until I put on lots more weight. At onetime I lost 80 pounds. They were more muscle back then, but I gained weight and now it's like there is nothing but fat there or something.

"diabetic"

All my levels were fine last I checked about two or three years ago. I went basically 4 months putting very little sugar in my body. I drunk flavored water all the time and cut out fried foods. I don't know if I'd be able to go 4 months without that kind of sugar if I was a diabetic. It's hard for me to drink regular water though because of the lack of taste.

I can drink most anything becauses water it's self.... Coke, Dr. Pepper, Milk, flavored water, Apple Juice or anything. The thing about the red place on my lower leg is that no only does my lower leg go down in terms of swelling, but it starts to heal up when I lay down. The socks seemed to have put a major strain on it though.

Now, when I sit alot, I can feel the flow cut off right where my leg starts at the top on the back near my buttocks. So I'm very convinced my body weight has alot to do with it.

I put weight back on in the first place mainly because I got depressed after 9/11 and basically did nothing for two years.

I should note something else..... Before I stopped wearing socks I had basically no hair on my legs. Is that a sign of poor blood circulation? The hair grew back once I stopped wearing them.

Last edited by halenfan25; 01-08-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Yes you need to loose weight. Why not talk to some people on that thread and you will be able to talk to people who know how you are feeling.

Second thing You should go to a doc to get checked up, and to make sure your heart is ok. I gained 80lbs of water my self slowly, i just thought i was getting fat, i made up alot of reasons why, I never knew it wasn't my fault. I have other health problems that cause my weight gain, My heart is now enlarged with other problems, If you want to Live YOU NEED to do something. I know you might be sick of hearing things like this, But I'm pretty ill and only have a 35% chance of living,I'm 27 been sick for 6 years. And I can't do anything about it. God i wish i could change the outcome, but it's out of my hands. But you can!!!

Last edited by adamace1; 01-09-2007 at 01:13 AM.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
(male)

halenfan25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamace1
Yes you need to loose weight. Why not talk to some people on that thread and you will be able to talk to people who know how you are feeling.

Second thing You should go to a doc to get checked up, and to make sure your heart is ok. I gained 80lbs of water my self slowly, i just thought i was getting fat, i made up alot of reasons why, I never knew it wasn't my fault. I have other health problems that cause my weight gain, My heart is now enlarged with other problems, If you want to Live YOU NEED to do something. I know you might be sick of hearing things like this, But I'm pretty ill and only have a 35% chance of living,I'm 27 been sick for 6 years. And I can't do anything about it. God i wish i could change the outcome, but it's out of my hands. But you can!!!
Well, my weight got bad before I lost it. With me, alot of it is about activity. When I was very active I lost a chunk of the weight, but when I'm no,t I put weight back on.

Sorry to hear about your problem. How are you dealing with it?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

adamace,

Your post makes me feel so sad for you.
Do you feel your doctors are doing all they can to help you?

Last edited by Lenin; 01-10-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Not really, but i don't think they can do much. Treatment is making my life worse not better.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
(female)

godsproperty000 HB User

I know I didnt seem to have any health problems until I put on weight. So I KNOW extra weight can cause all sorts of problems. But then again the weight came on with turning 40 so maybe thats it too. Ugh. I am on atenolol 50 mg a day and I know that, that slows your heart rate thus reducing your metabolism and making losing weight a very difficult process. Keep trying my friend, I joined the gym recently and started out with water aerobics... that was a fun day. lol maybe I'll go back one of these days. Anyway I wish you the best and dont give up!

Closed Thread