It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
(male)

Empirin HB User
Heart acting strange due to Immunotherapy

Good day -

Approx. 3 months ago I had a bad reaction to bee sting immunotherapy.
I had a slight allergic reaction to the shots, so the allergist gave me Prednisone (80 mgs) and liquid Benadryl (can't remember the dosage); they also wanted to give me a shot of epipen, but I declined; this occured around 3:00pm. At approx. 8:00pm, after consuming a couple beers, my heart rate shot up to 120bpm - then I got stressed out and it went to 180bpm. I was feeling faint so I went to the hospital where they monitored me for 6 hours and released me (after an IV of Benadryl) - they did an EKG and said it looked fine. The Dr. said the problem was a 'rebound effect' from the bee sting shot.

Following this day, I started having what my Dr. described as panic attacks. He listened to my heart and said it sounded great. Also blood work came out fine last time it was checked. However, I was prescribed 25mg Atenolol once per day to control the release of adrenaline due to the "panic attacks." I took it for a month and suffered bad anxiety and sleep problems from it. Granted, I didn't have the rapid heart rates while on it. Due to the bad side effects, I stopped taking it (I reduced my dosage to half a pill once per day for 8 days, then stopped completely).

Now - a month later, I have been experiencing episodes of a rapid heart rate of 120BPM from time to time, a slight shortness of breath on occasion and nervousness. The triggers seem to be stress, exercise, sex, alchohol, etc. Sometimes the rate goes back to normal after a few minutes, other times it takes up to 6 hours! The only good thing is, it only happens once every 5 days or so, but it is still unnerving. I am allergic to bees and cold (maybe other things as well)

Can anyone shed some light? Are these merely panic attacks? Allergic reactions? Heart problems?

I have read that Immonotherapy and/or a bee sting can cause heart rhythym problems. I have also read that periodic heart rate problems (e.g., Atrial Fib.) can cause strokes. That is why I am concerned. I am an otherwise healthy 36 yo male with no previous problems prior to the immunotherapy.

Thanks!

Last edited by Empirin; 01-15-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Heart acting strange due to Immunotherapy

Hi Empirin,
Reading your post and your reference to alcohol made me think of the dehydrating effects of alcohol may be contributing to your symptoms. I think you should seriously look at your diet and eliminate any coffee, tea , sodas and alcohol , all these fluids can cause electrolyte imbalances or dehydration. I would not expect miracles overnight either give the diet change several weeks before coming to any conclusions.
I had severe heart palpitations many years ago and when tested my magnesium levels were extremely low. I totally eliminated the coffee I was drinking and my palpitations resolved.

Closed Thread