It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
(male)

Kotulc HB User
Unhappy Heart pounding in head

Hello!

i have one problem. i'm 24 years old and i fell my heart beating for almost 7 years. I had several tests, like ultrasound, EKG, 24 hours holter and tyroid test. all was normal only FT4 hormon was little bit raised, but TSH, FT3, AntiTPO, AntiTG and TSI were ok. so doctor said that raised bilirubin (I have Gilbert syndrom) caused wrong FT4 result?!

I fell my heart beating nonstop, when i stand up is this beating stronger for few seconds and when i liing on the left side is this feeling also stronger.

i make a lot of sport (MTB and Freeriding) and i have no problems with extreme effort, only thing is ,that i feel heart over my body and in my head.

i was taking some beta-blockator but didn't helped ,only my heart rate had droped down to 45 beats per second.

i will be very happy if somebody will tell me, what that can be!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
(male)

Kotulc HB User
Re: Heart pounding in head

Do somebody know something about this???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

linda1962 HB User

I sometimes feel my heart beating too and have asked my Doctor about it. He thinks I'm just more aware of my heart because of my heart related syndrome. I haven't had it as often as I used to but did notice it over the last 3 years and now I'm on Toporal and Norvasc. I'm not sure which one treated the pounding heart as both were prescribed at the onset of my episode. You need to tell your Doctor that your still experiencing symptoms or look for a second opinion until YOU feel satisfied that your o.k. - I wish I knew more to make you feel better. Hopefully someone else on this board can tell you more but at least look for a second opinion. Take care!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotulc View Post
I fell my heart beating nonstop, when i stand up is this beating stronger for few seconds and when i liing on the left side is this feeling also stronger.
Sometimes a strong heartbeat can be caused by interactions between a medication that you are taking and food, drink or a vitamin supplement that you are taking. Sometimes it can be caused by an interaction between more than one medication and/or food or drinks that you are taking. Sometimes a strong heartbeat can be caused by allergens that you have encountered. Do you have allergies?

At any rate, I have a suggestion that you might want to consider. Digoxin, at .125mg is a medication that will slow your heartrate and also will suppress some of the hormonal reactions that can irritate the heart. If you take more than .125mg, it will actually make your heart beat harder, and make it worse, so you don't want to exceed .125mg. You might consider asking your doctor if Digoxin .125 would be worth trying. It is a very inexpensive medication. It would probably take a couple of weeks before the Digoxin would start to work, so if the doctor approves, keep in mind that it might not start workiing for a while.

Another question. Do you drink grapefruit juice?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-31-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
(male)

Kotulc HB User

Thanks for replays!

when this started i didn't eat any medication or vitamin tablets. i also did't have stresfull life. i have allergies, but they are not so strong, only when grass start to bloom. then i'm taking anti allergies tablets. i don't eat grapefruit, because is not good for Gilbert's syndrom. now i'm taking fish oil for heart and grape seed extract and Artemisia cappilaris for Gilbert's. i have a feeling that after taking a omega3 i don't fell my heart beating so much .

i don't have fast heartbeat. only think is that i felling it.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Kotulc,

"Feeling" the heartbeat is almost always anxiety related. There seems to be a slight correlation between Gilbert's and a heightened level of anxiety.

I think both conditions are completely benign.

Do you have any visible jaundice or itchiness from the Gilbert's? How high does your bilirubin usually run?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Kotulc,

"Feeling" the heartbeat is almost always anxiety related.
I've had heart disease for over forty years. During that time, I've found many things that would irritate my heart, making my heart beat harder and I try to avoid those things. When my heart beats harder, I "feel" it! In fact, you can see my chest move with each beat.

Also, my heart is almost ALWAYS skipping beats or missing beats, or palpitating etc., and often I can "feel" it jumping, or doing whatever it is doing. I try to avoid the things that irritate my heart, and by doing do, I am doing quite well.

Who told you that "feeling the heartbeat" was almost always related to anxiety?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Also, my heart is almost ALWAYS skipping beats or missing beats, or palpitating etc., and often I can "feel" it jumping, or doing whatever it is doing.
That's a different scenario. You are perceiving RHYTHM irreguarilties.

What I am describing and I think the poster is decribing, is the very commonly reported situation, especially in this forum, where there is no rhythm irregularity, nor any tachycardia or bradycardia, but rather the vague sense that the heart is beating hard, or someone "feels" heartbeat in a different part of the body.
This is usually a result of hypervigilance and it intensifies the harder one concentrates on it, like all anxiety driven phenomena.

For example, I do not normally "feel" my heartbeating at rest. BUT if I think about it hard enough I CAN. And I can "feel" it when exercising, especially if I am thinking about my heartrate.
Of course, I can feel any irregular beating or missed beats, or PVC's instantaneously, but, as I said, that doesn't seem to be the poster's concern.

Look up any discussion on anxiety symptoms to see how the perception of heartbeat is often involved. Anxiety often accompanies Gilbert's Syndrome.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-01-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
That's a different scenario. You are perceiving RHYTHM irreguarilties.
I would be willing to guess that, at least, 50% of the public suffers from some form of rhythm irregularities, mostly in the form of simple PVCs or PACs or palpitations, which are very noticible, and can be often felt, anxiety or not.

Quote:
What I am describing and I think the poster is decribing, is the very commonly reported situation, especially in this forum, where there is no rhythm irregularity, nor any tachycardia or bradycardia, but rather the vague sense that the heart is beating hard, or someone "feels" heartbeat in a different part of the body.
On the contrary, the poster said that his heart rhythm irregularity started seven years agol Prior to that, I assume, he had no problems. He is an athlete. I trust his judgement that he can frequently feel his heartbeat, and that it is not a normal condition, and that it is a real condition, not brought about by anxiety.

Quote:
This is usually a result of hypervigilance and it intensifies the harder one concentrates on it, like all anxiety driven phenomena.
This is an issue that I have frequently taken issue with. When our medical system can't properly diagnose a patient's health problem, it blames it on the patients. The easy diagnosis is to tell the patient that it is his or her fault. If the patient wasn't just so damn nervous or anxious or stressed out, the patient wouldn't be suffering health problems. The real answer is that the medical system just can't find an answer, but doesn't want to look less professional, or less than all knowing, so they put the onus on the patient.

Quote:
For example, I do not normally "feel" my heartbeating at rest. BUT if I think about it hard enough I CAN. And I can "feel" it when exercising, especially if I am thinking about my heartrate.
I really don't think that Kotulc's problems are because he thinks about his heartbeat too much. I think his problems started when he noticed that his heartbeat was not normal.

Quote:
Of course, I can feel any irregular beating or missed beats, or PVC's instantaneously, but, as I said, that doesn't seem to be the poster's concern.
I disagree with you. He said that, seven years ago, he suffered from heart irregularities to the point at which he went to a doctor. The doctor(s) must have found something, because they ran all kinds of heart tests and even prescribed a beta blocker.

Quote:
Look up any discussion on anxiety symptoms to see how the perception of heartbeat is often involved. Anxiety often accompanies Gilbert's Syndrome.
I have often said that anxiety, or stress, is ONE reason for heart irregularities or higher blood pressure, but it is only one cause of many, many causes.

Could anxiety be contributing to Kotulc's problems. Sure it could, but I am sure that there are other, more significant, medical explanations for his problems.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-01-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
(male)

Kotulc HB User
Thumbs up Re: Heart pounding in head

Very good discussion! Thanks. i hope i will found something which will help. i have a feeling that fish oil helped me a little bit.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Beerzoids,

You have gone on and on about Kotulc's RHYTHM irregularity. Why? Not once did he mention such a symptom.

Quote:
i have one problem. i'm 24 years old and i fell my heart beating for almost 7 years. I had several tests, like ultrasound, EKG, 24 hours holter and tyroid test. all was normal only FT4 hormon was little bit raised, but TSH, FT3, AntiTPO, AntiTG and TSI were ok. so doctor said that raised bilirubin (I have Gilbert syndrom) caused wrong FT4 result?!
He even had a Holter.
Why are you PRESUPPOSING some mystery rhythm irregularity that was never compained of, and then going on and on about it.
A rhythm irregularity is a completely different issue and people generally KNOW if they have one or not; FEELING a "strong" heartbeat somewhere in the body for 7 years is a perception problem not a rhythm problem.

Kotulc FEELS his heartbeat in his head...beginning and end of story. Why do people "feel" their heart beating somewhere in the body? Usually because of hypervigilance. What causes hypervigilance? Usually, ANXIETY!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-02-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,

You have gone on and on about Kotulc's RHYTHM irregularity. Why? Not once did he mention such a symptom.
I would hope that each patient is given the benefit of the doubt, by the doctor, that there are real causes for the patient's health problems. When our medical professionals can't solve a patient's problems, they always blame it on the patient. They tell the patient that it is the patient's inability to manage stress or anxiety, that is causing the patient's problems. This, to me, is a great injustice to the patient, and frequently causes the patient to feel worse! The patient goes home, feeling that they have gotten absolutely NO HELP from the doctor. The patient might even think that their health problems are their fault, because they cannot manage stress or anxiety. In many cases this results in the patient not getting the treatment that they need!

I also believe that stress or anxiety can cause significant health problems, but in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary, other causes for the health problems should be examined.

Quote:
Kotulc said "I had several tests, like ultrasound, EKG, 24 hours holter and tyroid test."

So..... without you knowing any more about Kotulc's health history, you are saying that his medical doctors preformed all of these expensive tests, without Kotulc having any symptoms of heart arrhythmia?

They even put him on a beta blocker!

Quote:
He even had a Holter.
Exactly! Kotulc's doctor's were trying to evaluate his heart rhythm problems.

Quote:
Why are you PRESUPPOSING some mystery rhythm irregularity that was never compained of, and then going on and on about it.
The title of this thread is: Heart pounding in head. Kotulc also said: I fell my heart beating nonstop, when i stand up is this beating stronger for few seconds and when i liing on the left side is this feeling also stronger.

Which thread were you reading?

Quote:
A rhythm irregularity is a completely different issue and people generally KNOW if they have one or not;
Exactly. I am giving kotulc the benefit of the doubt that, when he says that he can feel his heart beating nonstop, and then when he stands up it gets worse, and when he is lying on his left side, it gets worse. Are you saying that kotulc doesn't have these heart rhythm symptoms? He is making them up? Or.... when he lies on his side, his anxiety gets worse? Perhaps when he stands up, the stress of standing up is too much for him?!

Quote:
FEELING a "strong" heartbeat somewhere in the body for 7 years is a perception problem not a rhythm problem.
It's not just "somewhere in the body" it is "IN HIS HEART"! And he can feel it pounding in his head. I have had heart failure for over 20 years, and heart disease since I was young. Even with these heart diseases, I was seldom aware of my heartbeat, unless it was malfunctioning. Most people are not aware of their heartbeats, especially not aware of them day, and night, 24 hours per day, unless they have heart rhythm problems.

Quote:
Kotulc FEELS his heartbeat in his head...beginning and end of story. Why do people "feel" their heart beating somewhere in the body? Usually because of hypervigilance. What causes hypervigilance? Usually, ANXIETY!
You can diagnose a patient's health problems, from thousands of miles away, without examining health history, and without looking at health test results, and without medical training, and without doing a full and thorough analysis, and without listening to the patient. That is a skill that few of us have.

Need to run. My anxiety levels are up. Hmmm!? I don't feel my heart pounding in my head. I must be doing something wrong.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-02-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
(male)

Kotulc HB User

Hello!

Now i will write down my whole problems in past seven years.

About seven years ago this problem with hearth occured. I made TSH test and EKG. I began stop smoking and started MTB-iking. I almost got used with this, but than 3 years ago i poisoned myself with alcohol and food on school trip. I thought i will die and i wanted to go to hospital. Since than i felt very sick and i felt also very bad in public. When i was drunk i always felt very bad next day. I went to doctor again and they found thath i have GS. I notice yellow eyes before this school trip but have no problems with bad felling. Before this trip I lived normal life, except heart beat. Than i was almost every month to a doctor, but they said that this heart beat and bad feeling is psyche. I was taking Zoloft, without a success. Doctors also found a lack of iron (hemoglobin and hematocrit were normal???) and to much FT4 hormon. Now i'm taking Paroxat and i fell bether but not normal. I think that my no explainable heart problems, GS and that school trip made me anxious. I think my hearth beat don't have anything with anxious, becouse i lived with this 4 years before other health problems (anxious, bad feeling) strikes. I think so because Paroxat didn't make any difference on heart beat. could be something with my spine?

Now i taking omega3, grape seed extract and Yin Chin tee and my life is geting better, but i will be very happy, if i will fell like i felt seven years ago.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotulc View Post
Than i was almost every month to a doctor, but they said that this heart beat and bad feeling is psyche. I was taking Zoloft, without a success. Doctors also found a lack of iron (hemoglobin and hematocrit were normal???) and to much FT4 hormon. Now i'm taking Paroxat and i fell bether but not normal.
Doctors, when they don't know what they are doing, might prescribe meds like Paroxat for heart rhythm problems. They blame your heart problems on your psyche, because they still want to make a good living, and they don't want to look stupid, or unprofessional. They blame your heart problems on you, so they either don't have to do the research to fix your problems, they don't really care, or they are not competent.

The most common cause of heart rhythm problems is a malfunctioning neuro-hormonal system. Most of the medications prescribed to "calm" the heart, work by calming the neuro-hormonal system.

Your health history is complex. I have absolutely no medical training or education, only what I have self-learned fighting my own serious heart disease. That said, I would like you to again consider asking your doctor about .125mg digoxin. More than .125mg digoxin causes the heart to beat harder, which you don't want. But, at .125 mg, Digoxin attempts to "calm" the neuro-hormonal system, doesn't cause the heart to beat harder, has few side effect and is cheap...... very inexpensive. You could get your doctor to prescribe .25mg digoxin and the break the pills in half, saving even more money.

However...... since you have complex health problems, the only one who can say that you could safely take digoxin .125mg would be your doctor.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-02-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
(male)

Kotulc HB User

Thanks!

i will consider taking digoxin, but first i must stop taking Paroxat.

i hate to go to doctor again. i don't like them any more

Closed Thread